Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I put a sprocket made for a keyed shaft on a D bore?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can I put a sprocket made for a keyed shaft on a D bore?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

This is for my shave ice machine.
LOL

I would wait for the right stuff but if you must use the available parts I would look at running at reduced power if you can.

I doubt there would be any damage except to the mismatched sprocket and shaft. Unless that chain comes off and there is continued momentum in the secondary sprocket causing the chain to jamb or tangle on something.

If this is all temporary consider just having it welded on.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought while the machine is down. Consider taking the hard to replace sprocket to a machine shop to be replicated. It may not be cheap figure $200 - $800. But if it's your business income it might be worthwhile to have a replacement made.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All very good advice
But I wonder , why is the custom sprocket made out of Alu
Is it some custom harder than steel alloy ?
In would have that thing copied, I would also get a drive sprocket for the spare motor
Sprockets are gears, but they drive a chain connected to another gear/sprocket instead of being inner meshed gears

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Naio wrote:

The machine requires quite a bit of power and torque. When I used a 100 amp fuse I sometimes blew it. I now have a 200 amp circuit breaker which I have never blown.

For some reason this bothers me more than anything you might do to make your sprocket work.

Did you happen to upgrade the wire when you "upgraded" the fuse?

X-2

Dusty

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

Naio wrote:

The machine requires quite a bit of power and torque. When I used a 100 amp fuse I sometimes blew it. I now have a 200 amp circuit breaker which I have never blown.

For some reason this bothers me more than anything you might do to make your sprocket work.

Did you happen to upgrade the wire when you "upgraded" the fuse?

X-2

Dusty

Well, when I got it it didn't have a fuse at all. I've tried various fuses and circuit breakers over time.

I've also replaced the cables multiple times. I don't remember what size was on it when I got it. I certainly haven't gone to smaller cables, but I might have gone to larger.

My goal is that the circuit breaker be for unexpected things like a person dropping a wrench over the battery terminals. Not something that blows during normal use. Is this wrong of me?

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Another thought while the machine is down. Consider taking the hard to replace sprocket to a machine shop to be replicated. It may not be cheap figure $200 - $800. But if it's your business income it might be worthwhile to have a replacement made.

When I say it's basically impossible to replace, what I mean is that in order to get the one, I called every place I could find in the US on Google, and every place I could find through word of mouth.

I finally found a place that makes custom sprockets and they made me one. But it took them about six months to get it done, and only then did they've mention that normally, although they make custom sprockets, they make runs of a few hundred or a thousand, and it was really a big hassle for them to make just one. It was a kindness.

I have told them how grateful I am, but I can't ask them to do it again.

Of course if I'd known, I would have asked them to make me several, but by the time I found out the difficulty, they had already taken the machinery apart again, and reset it for the next job.

When I say that the drive sprocket is easier to replace, I mean that I could probably buy one somewhere....maybe.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

Are you trying to keep the D shaft on the temporary motor untouched? If NOT, I'd have a machine shop cut a keyway in that temporary motor shaft opposite the D flat. Then have them make a piece that would fill the open D area where the temporary shaft and the sprocket come together. Finally, a dimple on the insert piece that your set screw would mate into.

If you don't want to cut a keyway in the temporary motor shaft, a keyway could be cut into the piece you have made to fill the D area. Depending on how thick that piece is, the D piece may split at the keyway when high motor torque is supplied, but even if it cracked, it should stay in place if you make the fill piece to tight tolerances. If you use this solution I'd make it so tight I had to drive the key and the D shaped fill in piece on to the shaft. A snug interference fit.

My choice would be the first case. If you had to use the temp motor shaft for a matching sprocket, an open keyway opposite the D flat wouldn't cause any problems.

This sounds very much like the right way to do it. I suspect it would take longer than rebuilding the motor, though. But after I get my primary motor rebuilt, I might try to get a shaft modification like this for my backup motor. For next time!

thank you, opnspaces, for the detailed suggestions. And thank you to everyone else! If anyone has any more thoughts, I would very much like to hear them.

I THINK the sprocket in question has two set screws. I'm not completely sure, and I'm not there right now. I don't know if one of them is pointed.

Go George Jetson :-)

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you use a long enough set screw that you don't have to worry about ripping out the last thread on the sprocket. Also verify that the keyway in the sprocket has been drilled all the way through so that the set screw does not damage the keyway.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Make sure you use a long enough set screw that you don't have to worry about ripping out the last thread on the sprocket. Also verify that the keyway in the sprocket has been drilled all the way through so that the set screw does not damage the keyway.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying. Especially the second part.

I found my sprocket: This is the one I currently have on the keyed shaft, and that I want to try to put on the D shaped shaft. I see this place is still selling them, so I can get another one.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=1958

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio,

Great sleuthing on finding a "spare". I'd certain buy while you still can.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can I put a sprocket made for a keyed shaft on a D bore?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.