cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickup driver caught after cops find him hauling 53? trailer

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on the web today, anybody else try this?
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
24 REPLIES 24

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Me neither. Just putting it out there to show it may not be as rare as most would think. I see the 4 and 550โ€™s pulling 4-8 cars all the time. Iโ€™m sure those are upwards of 30k. I stopped this guy. He scaled out at 53k gross. 33 on the trailer with a 27k GVWR. Cited and out of service for unsafe load (tire ratings).

(I donโ€™t know why it posts upside down)
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
94-D2 wrote:
1ton pulling a 53โ€™

Ignore the driver using his phone to record or the distraction from the road in front of him....

Actually, it's a 450 and it also looks like the passenger was recording. Just sayin'... Personally, I have no problem with it, as long as it's mostly empty. Hell, empty, it's probably lighter than most FWs people tow, especially with a 450.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
1ton pulling a 53โ€™

Ignore the driver using his phone to record or the distraction from the road in front of him....
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
good test for that old rusty receiver on that truck....we know how strong they are ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks to me like it might really be a bigger test for that pin holding the drawbar to the tongue.:E
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
good test for that old rusty receiver on that truck....we know how strong they are ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:

That air line is hooked to the emergency glad hand which fills the trailer's air tank and releases the parking brake. The other glad hand is the service side which applies the brakes when the tractor foot valve or hand valve are applied. Without an air hose there is no way to apply brakes. Pretty hard to stop with only the pickup brakes.

The way the air brakes work is that once you dump the air, the spring will apply emergency/parking brakes.
Not really useable for traffic driving, but brake is brake.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
He has some type of "air set up".. there is an airline that runs from the truck bed to the right glad hand on the trailer..

That air line is hooked to the emergency glad hand which fills the trailer's air tank and releases the parking brake. The other glad hand is the service side which applies the brakes when the tractor foot valve or hand valve are applied. Without an air hose there is no way to apply brakes. Pretty hard to stop with only the pickup brakes.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I can see that guy isn't doing any farming, and how much traffic were you encountering with those cotton wagons all those years ago? Believe it or not, times change, and what worked then, isn't so smart now.

And way back when nobody thought anything about driving while drinking a cold one, or two. "Impaired" driving was pretty much a non-issue, a lot of people did it with no accidents or problems. Doesn't mean it was smart then either.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
"Empty weight would likely be about 10k and we towed that much, and more, all the time back in our pre-module cotton picking days and were using trailers. 1/2t truck, no brakes, 25-30 mph, upwards of a 15 mile one-way tow to and from the gin."

Being able to get away with doing something only makes it do-able, not smart.

Worked for us, accident free, for over 50 years of cotton farming. (shrug)

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

He has some type of "air set up".. there is an airline that runs from the truck bed to the right glad hand on the trailer..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Empty weight would likely be about 10k and we towed that much, and more, all the time back in our pre-module cotton picking days and were using trailers. 1/2t truck, no brakes, 25-30 mph, upwards of a 15 mile one-way tow to and from the gin."

Being able to get away with doing something only makes it do-able, not smart.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Looks to me like there may be a compressor in the truck bed to release the brakes. Not sure what the thing stuck on the tailgate is. Camera? Sending unit for wireless lights? Tank on the tongue is =not= an air tank; looks to be some sort of liquid tank, given the hoses. I know that, were I involved in ag and towing this, I'd claim "implement of husbandry". :B Empty weight would likely be about 10k and we towed that much, and more, all the time back in our pre-module cotton picking days and were using trailers. 1/2t truck, no brakes, 25-30 mph, upwards of a 15 mile one-way tow to and from the gin.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Looking at the article linked, the person had an air tank rigged to release the parking brake but there isn't a hose to the connection that would apply the service brake. So the only braking would be done by the truck which is not legal for the size of the trailer.

There is no confirmation either way.
The cop had no mechanical knowledge to determinate how it worked and the journalist knows even less.
So if the trailer brakes work- the only issue is steering and since trailer is on dolly, there is not much forces required.
I would compare this setup to Australian "Road trains" where a truck pulls dozen of trailers. All legal in AU.
Why this topic is 5th wheels? :S
On other hand, that tank looks like fluid tank, not air tank to me?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking at the article linked, the person had an air tank rigged to release the parking brake but there isn't a hose to the connection that would apply the service brake. So the only braking would be done by the truck which is not legal for the size of the trailer.