cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton Ntl Pk,s

plkitchen
Explorer
Explorer
Late summer early fall of 2020 I am planning a trip through Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks and I would appreciate input with regard to how much time I should allocate to be able to see and enjoy these parks. I am currently thinking of allowing a week for each park. I know the size of these parks are immense and I want to be sure I spend enough time at each to fully appreciate what they have to offer. Also we will be traveling with a 5th wheel and would like any advise that previous visitors have on where to stay.
19 REPLIES 19

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
All excellent responses to your question. Another recommendation to go in September versus May/June. Out here in the Rockies, we also have mud season, which corresponds with May/June and in to July depending on elevation. Mud season is that time when the snow is melting, sometimes rapidly, and there is mud everywhere. This is particularly true of NP/USFS campgrounds, where there will be snow on the ground in May/June. Commercial CG/RV parks cope with it better, so it won't be as bad in those locales. Tracking in mud inside one's trailer/RV can be a chore, so leave shoes/boots somewhere outside, easily accessible. Mud season will also cause many trails/hikes to not really be doable, much less pleasant. September will be more pleasant, as the trails/CGs have had all summer to dry out. Yes, September can see snow, but early in the season it is frequently light and fluffy vs heavy and wet. And it usually melts quickly in early September.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Wayne_Sasser
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I will be visiting during tht time as well.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least 5 days. Two weeks is better.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
plkitchen wrote:
A lot of responses mention the crowds. Does anyone have an opinion on whether spring or fall is best to avoid crowds.

Two Totally different times of the Year - Spring is cold and Damp more than it is Sunny and Warm (JMHO) - more small animals - need good "WaterProof Boots" in the Spring. Spring snows are usually wet and Heavy - often Deep.

If you are planning the trip IMHO the Spring is the more unstable of the two seasons - May vs September - September is just better even with more People - Beartooth will likely be closed in the Spring, and we love the Beartooth Drive - mud will be more Prevalent - Spring is just a better time to be in Utah.

There is less to see and do in the spring - BUT - there is so much to see and do you still cannot go wrong if that were the choice made.

If It were Me - Fall even with a few more People - do your Homework - plan your Itinerary - and with just a little work you can find the peace and solitude you are looking for - you might even enjoy a few of the people you meet. - :S

Example On a trip in Colorado with the East Coast Grands - Flew them out to do Trail Ridge in RMNP for Memorial Day - Snowed over 3' a few days before and the top of Trail Ridge had 12' of Snow and was closed - Images - so busted on the big Plan - BUT - we drove up through Nederland to Red Rock Lake for a hike - In the Snow - In the Sun - cold but Warm - yes it is true in Colorado ๐Ÿ™‚ - the girls had as much fun as ever - they were with their Cousins.

We got great pictures and we will never forget the trip - neither will they.

So moral of the story - No Wrong Choices - except to not just DO IT!

More often than not it is the Trip more than the Destination,

JMHO
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go the first or second week in Sept. In 2013 we went the last week in May and there was 6 feet of snow everywhere.

plkitchen
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of responses mention the crouds. Does anyone have an opinion on whether spring or fall is best to avoid crouds.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
one_strange_texan wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

Yellowstone will not only be crowded but by September you might catch some snow - might get lucky and have 70's everyday, but plan for Cold and Damp and be Happy with Sunny and Warm.

We are also planning a trip to Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier in the same time frame in 2020.

I know snow is a possibility, but I am surprised Yellowstone is still crowded in September. I know it is very popular park, but I would think the crowds would be down some from the summer peak due to school being back in session.

Best trip we have ever had to the Park was in Late October - Early November - Indian Summer with not so many People.

Crowds are relative to where you are from and what you might prefer - that said - IMHO it is still Very Crowded in September!:S

Snow will almost always come in September - actually think it has snowed every month of the year in Yellowstone - BUT - it will Melt and IMHO just makes it even more Beautiful - Note here is to be Prepared for Any and Everything as you travel - Good Boots - Layers - Floppy Hat - Rain Gear - CAMERA that you will carry! (Take three pictures every time you think one will do)

Most important thing, might be to be Flexible in your Schedule, as the Weather and Your Interests will change. I use DOT webcams to help with the actual weather and the Yellowstone WebCams to see what is actually going on, IMHO these are the best!

Yellowstone NP WebCams

Last little note - there are things all around the Park to Enjoy - so if you have the time being a little flexible is not all that hard - Being Lucky has a lot to do with being Persistent, and being Smart, so while we still seldom make reservations we still enjoy most of these Beautiful National Parks - we just need to be a little smarter today than yesterday. - ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Crowds are indeed lower in Yellowstone during September as well as early June. That is to say they drop from elbow to elbow during July and August to only feet apart. Think your nearest big city traffic between rush hour and 3 pm.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were in Glacier, Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons in 2019 at about the same time. Everything is busy, parking is limited, everyplace is crowded. You either have to deal with it or not go. We had a great time even with the crowds.
Be careful about the weather. On about Sept 12 we went over the Bear Tooth Highway. We started early to see the Lamar Valley. By the time we left the Top Of the World store near the summit of the Bear Tooth, it was snowing hard, the road was covered by snow and they closed the road about 15 minutes behind us. We made it through without a problem but had to take a 150 mile detour to get back. Weather can be a beast that time of year. Still one our best trips ever.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
So what do you like? Hikes, views, animals, camping style, travel style, personal goals, shopping, art, history, science, privacy, meeting people...

Specifics in questions will get you specific answers. There is no 'best'
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
one_strange_texan wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

Yellowstone will not only be crowded but by September you might catch some snow - might get lucky and have 70's everyday, but plan for Cold and Damp and be Happy with Sunny and Warm.

We are also planning a trip to Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier in the same time frame in 2020.

I know snow is a possibility, but I am surprised Yellowstone is still crowded in September. I know it is very popular park, but I would think the crowds would be down some from the summer peak due to school being back in session.

Bus loads of foreign visitors come in every day from various points. They glog up walkways and the buses fill up parking lots. Early and late are best to enjoy a great park!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Gros Ventre Campground Sept 4th-7th. The 5th was beautiful. It rained on the 6th, we left on the 7th. In one day we visited Jenny Lake, did the boat ride across to the falls trails. Drove up the hwy to Yellowstone and got in 30 mins before Old Faithful blew. Drove over and checked out the mud basins and stuff.
On the 6th when it rained we went into Jackson for lunch.
We didn't plan on going there, we just ended up going there as part of our trip. We had no plans for our trip after Labor Day. Pretty much just winged the last half of our month long Aug-Sept trip.
We came down through Id and thought what the heck lets try it. So we trekked over the Teton mtns and hit Jackson.
Pulled in to Gros Ventre Campground at 3:00 on the 5th. Checked in and they gave up us a great spot. No Res so we had our fingers crossed.
We got to see some of the best sights in a very short time. Too rushed yeah somewhat. But for just winging it, it was fun. The weather turned nasty right after we left. So timing was great.
Jackson is a bust for us. Unless you like really high priced stuff then it's basically a tourist trap IMO. We did eat lunch at Picas Taqueria. Great Mexican. We also ate lunch at The Signal Mountain Lodge. Good views and hit or miss on the food.
My advice would be to try and get there before the 2nd weekend in Sept. After that it's a who knows on the weather.

Highlight of the trip was when the resident Moose herd walked right by our TT around 2:30 at night. I heard what sounded like something hitting trees with a stick. Got up and found out it was the bull moose whacking his antlers on the branches.
I literally had a huge cow elk right outside my side rear window. Got to see several others as well walk by but not as close.
It was a crazy few days where everything seemed to click just right.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly some members donโ€™t want a week in Glacier NP. I donโ€™t agree but you gotta get out of the car/truck to enjoy it and walk a little.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)