cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman Airxcel 48000 series 15KHP

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is going on 6 years old in March. The rear roof hvac unit is an Airxcel 15k heat pump and has work well until now.
We were in NE GA at the end of October and used the heat pump in cold weather just fine until needing to switch to the furnane.
In route home, we stopped S of Atlanta and stopped overnight (55 degree weather) and I switched on the heat pump. It ran but no heat.
The RV has been parked at home since until today. We arrived at our destination and no heat. 62 dgrees outside. I switched to ac and lowered the thermostat. The unit came on but was only blowing ambient air.
So the unit will run with the thermostat set to either mode but will not cool or heat.
I ordered and have received the run capacitor and will try to swap it this weekend.
This unit has 2 capacitors. One is the run capacitor and the other the fan. The fan is running in both modes so I assumed its ok. There is also another part in the that the parts diagram shows called a "OD Temp Relay Board" which looks like a clear covered relay.
I ordered the run capacitor and replaced it last weekend. No change at all.
I'm not an electrician or electronics guru but do have mechanical abilities. I read up on discharging capacitor prior to replacing them. When I attempted to discharge the original capacitor, I did not see or hear any spark.
I assume the fan capacitor is ok since the fan will run in both modes so it has not been replaced.
I ordered the relay and a fan capacitor as well and hope to get those replaced in the next few days starting with the relay.
Any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated. Thanks.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL
15 REPLIES 15

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I ordered that part number right from the manual. It came but it does not have enough terminals. The one in the unit says 06x13 at the bottom. The one sent says 03x18 and does not have enough terminals. So odd but then again, not really. LOL
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this the one

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/coleman-air-conditioner-relay-1460-1271
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Heres a pic of the relay that I cannot find anywhere on line. I ordered the part number list in the Airxcel parts list, however, it does not have enough terminals.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug. I replaced the entire control board and run capacitor. I ordered the relay but its is not the correct one nor can I find it. I have not replaced the thermostat but I do hear the thermostat click when the unit comes on and sends the temperature set-point. Thanks.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is a compressor relay on the upper control board. You disconnect 120 power and then jump the 2 wires. Verify 120 volts on the jumped wires. IF the compressor comes ON, then your control board relay is probably bad. This just verifies that the Capacitors and Compressor runs. You may still have a 12 volt control problem activating the compressor relay. There is a 12 volt connection on the control board that when 12 volts is supplied will activate the relay. Supply 12 volts to the "Y" terminal should activate the relay. If you do NOT have 12 volts at the Y when trying Heat or Cool, then either the wall tstat is bad or the Y wire from the tstat to the upper control board is open. Doug

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Its a single unit/zone Coleman HP thermostat. Slider fan switch auto/on, a slider switch for cool - off - gas heat - elec HP heat.
The thermostat is turning on the system in every mode including the gas heat but it is not turning on the compressor in cool or HP mode.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your system tstat controlling both units, or do you have separate tstats?

I have found Eric (ejb at airxcel.com) very helpful in troubleshooting my system.

If you have the multizone tstat, check to see that all the correct modes show up when you toggle thru the mode button for each zone.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Doug, thanks for the response. I just went out and got on the roof. The only sounds coming from it is the fan running. No change in pitch, load, any clicking, etc.
I noticed back at the end of October, while it was heating, I was not hearing it go into the reverse/defrost mode like I have heard it do in the past.
Upon arrival at out next stop, it was no longer producing heat.
Phil
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
pcm1959 wrote:
Yep, we have tried that in either mode and we do not hear any change in sound....just the fan running.

You were on top with the shroud removed? Doug

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we have tried that in either mode and we do not hear any change in sound....just the fan running.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Having the Freeze sensor inop would not cause damage to the HP. You need to be on top and have someone activate the COOL or HEAT. Wait up to 5 minutes and see if you hear the compressor try to start. If so, the odds are the compressor is locked up. Doug

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
No. I can set the room temperature on the thermostat and the fan will start but compressor never kicks on. This is in either cool or heat pump modes. You can hear the thermostat click registering the call for heating or cooling.
Since opening up the unit to investigate I noticed the "freeze control sensor" was not in the fins like the installation instructions call for. This has made me wonder if this is the cause. In late October we were camping in cool weather using the heat pump just fine. It would dip much cooler in the evening. I noticed I was not hearing the unit go into defrost cycle like I have heard in the past. So I'm wondering if it froze-up due to the sensor not being in place and it damaged the unit. Thanks.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Can you hear the compressor start?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
The latest: Still no go!
I have not replaced the fan capacitor since the fan runs in both modes. I ordered the relay and the control board.
The relay is not the right one as it does not have enough terminals.
I replaced the control board and no difference.
The only thing left is the relay which I cannot find and the fan capacitor.
I don't have any way to test the compressor as I'm just a layman.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL