cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heated Mattress Pad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Considering adding a heated mattress pad to our IdealRest air bed in our Itasca Suncruiser. is anyone using one? any problems? can't imagine there would be any adverse issues using a heated mattress pad on an air mattress but thought i'd ask before pulling the trigger. any recommendations? looking at a dual-control model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P4CZLE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_c_yHy.DbY24HDH5
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
31 REPLIES 31

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
We have heated mattress pad and electric blanket, prefer the electric blanket.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
weโ€™ve been on the road for just over a week now and we love the heated mattress pad! my side is at โ€˜4โ€™, hers us at โ€˜6โ€™. i have it between the bottom sheet and another mattress pad. we donโ€™t feel the wires...very comfortable. a big thumbs up! :B
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The problem with 12 volt, which MrWizard has nibbled around is often voltage drop.

The "power" drops by the square of the voltage.

13.6 x 13.6 =~ 185

11.9 x 11.9 =~142

That's approximately a 23% drop in power. So now the effective wattage has dropped a heck of a lot. 80 watts x 77% =~ 62 watts.

The higher the wattage on the device the worst the results become, as the voltage drop is larger and larger.

That said, I've had good luck with a 12 volt 7 amp electric blanket. It is "old school" and doesn't have a timer on it to shut it off.

I have now moved to a mattress pad (from Aldi's) as they were being sold for just $65 USD last year. I love it--but wish I did not have to run the inverter.

Many hopes for a wonderful 2020 to all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
But you have to have 12v wiring going to the use area that will maintain the voltage needed at the amps needed
And many of these products only supply the stated heat level
When the engine is running and the alternator is supplying 13+ volts
What might be practical in a van
Is not so useful in a larger RV, like my 36ft rear bedroom class A
The amount of heat desired/needed various with the individual
I sometimes use a heat pad on my back before going to sleep
But again this is my home, not for my weekend use to play in the snow
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Over many years I have tried out various 12v appliances
From bottle warmers to instant water heaters, to defroster / heaters

Fans and radios and tv worked
Everything that produced heat was a big Flop

I know there are travel blankets and such things
And some people have had good experience with them
But not me
I'll stick with 120vac items on an inverter
They use more power and there is conversion losses
But they do the job

As I understand it, an electric blanket consumes around 80 watts. This equates to only around 7 amps at 12 volts (when it's "on" ... but they cycle continuously, so AH draw averages less). What this means is that a 12 volt electric blanket (and mattress pad) should work far better than the 12 volt appliances you are referring to that require far greater 12 volt currents in an attempt to match the wattages of similar 120V AC powered household appliances.

A 12 volt powered electric blanket/mattress pad should functiton as good in an RV as a 40-50 watt TV functions in an RV. Inverter losses would thus be eliminated when using them night after night in an RV for comfortable drycamp sleeping so as to be able to maintain lower coach interior air temperatures ... and thus saving overall energy.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
Over many years I have tried out various 12v appliances
From bottle warmers to instant water heaters, to defroster / heaters

Fans and radios and tv worked
Everything that produced heat was a big Flop

I know there are travel blankets and such things
And some people have had good experience with them
But not me
I'll stick with 120vac items on an inverter
They use more power and there is conversion losses
But they do the job
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If we were to start using a heated blanket or mattress pad on our RV trips, we'd skip the efficiency loss of an inverter and plug them directly into a 12 volt recepticle coming from the coach batteries ... as can be done with these:
https://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html

MrWizard
I have used electric blankets or mattress pads for many years when needed, just not with an inflated air mattress
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Since the late 1980's we have been using either an electric mattress pad or a heated blanket in all our RV's when not on connected to shorepower. Makes zero difference to us or many others as we and most others also had/have a very capable inverter and an adequate number of batteries/amps to suppkly the DC power needed by the inverter.

Never once have we drawn the batteries below 50% charge yet in any month of the year. If you have large enough wire size going from the vehicle to the RV batteries/converter charger, the alternator output will recharge the batteries fast. Too small of a wire size (gauge) acts as a choke and the recharge takes many to very many hours to recharge them. Can't stress that strong enough! Also having a 1000 watt + generator and a 25-40 amp battery charger will do the job well enough too.

Some use solar but you still need enough amps output from adequate sunshine hours to be able to recharge adequately. Clouds blocking the sun and trees/leaves blocking the sun are a big issue in the eastern half of the USA as trees are almost everywhere and especially in popular CG's, state forests, national forests, national parks, etc.

An electric mattress pad or blanket doesn't draw that much current and it only draws current when heat is actually called for. We usually see 25% to 30% of an hour.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Phil,

I've been using electric blankets for some years without hookups.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
. The only negative is it heats slower than an electric blanket.

This may or may not be true. And if true, may or may not be a issue. I know that in my truck, my camper, or house, it has never been a issue for me. AFAIK, the real difference is you use one over, the other under you. Somebody told me heat goes up.

Hot/heated air does indeed go up.

Radiant heat radiates up, down, sideways ... wherever the surface(s) of the source(s) are pointing.

The hot wires in either a mattress pad or an electric blanket shoot out their radiant heat all around the wires up, down, sideways, etc.. I know ... as I've used electric blankets on top of me for decades, and they in fact do warm me just fine when lying under the bottom side of the blanket. ๐Ÿ˜‰

P.S. Now - for the real challenge - how many of us RV'ers use electric mattress pads or blankets when camping without hookups?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
thanks. looks similar to the Amazon product but my grandpa always told me to beware of items priced waaaay below the competition. besides, we have a short queen.

I fully agree and note that a lot of what Aldi sells seems to be ..er.. Less expensive to build (But still works well)

When I googled to find that link I came across several competitors including Wal-Mart some were even cheaper than Aldi's.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
I used heated blankets but they never seem to last. Went to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSHDE0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19 months of use and it is going strong and feels awesome.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:

I'm only speaking from my experience. The electric blanket we use in the camper has a 'preheat' button which warms it up within about 10 minutes. The mattress pad takes a lot longer. I don't know if others have a preheat. Both work very well once warmed up.

Like I said, YMMV. For me, turn it on, at the normal setting, and do my normal "get ready for bed" retinue. When I get in bed, it's warm. Now the spouse has a different plan. At home she has a timer, turns on long before she goes to bed. In camper, when she comes to bed she makes me move to the cold side.

that's a great idea. we already have a thin mattress pad on the air bed. I think i'll leave that in place and put the heated pad on top of that.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK