Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Elec. heat v. Gas heat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Elec. heat v. Gas heat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two heat pumps with heat strips and two gas furnaces.
We enter the coach and it is cold. Turn on heat pumps. The gas furnaces kick in until it gets close to heat setting and the heat pumps then take over.If during the night it gets below about 40 degrees, I think or the heat pumps stop putting out enough heat the gas furnaces take over again.
If we desire we can select gas heat and it stays on gas or we can select zone one, the rear unit to be electric heat pump and zone 2 or front to be gas or vice versa. Our front unit is going to be replaced. it has bad valve. I have seen in a cold rain a lot of ice on the outside of the front heat pump, when left on electric. So I'm not sure about parameters on how they interact.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coleman HP the tstat setting controls HP versus Furnace. This is stated in the Coleman owners/operation manual. IF you try to set the HP Heat MORE than 5 degrees warmer than the interior temp, the furnace/Aux Heat source comes on and the HP is in standby until the interior temp is within that 5 degrees. Then the furnace shuts off and the HP comes on until set temp is reached. The HP can then keep the temp that is set. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/service-support/faqs#

When your thermostat is in the “Electric Heat” mode, if the set temperature is five or more degrees above what it shows as the room temperature; the thermostat will consider this too much of a load for an electric heat source and bring in the furnace to assist. The furnace will continue to run in this case, until the thermostat is satisfied. When the room temperature starts to drop again, the thermostat will try to proceed as normal, with just the electric heat (unless the difference between set point and room temperature reaches five degrees again).
PLEASE NOTE: Some of our thermostats will not run your electric heat and gas heat simultaneously. They will shut down the electric heat in order to bring in the gas heat.
Multiple consecutive calls for the furnace in the “Electric Heat” mode, can cause the thermostat to lock out the electric heat function for approximately two hours, triggering the furnace only when it needs heat. For more information on the Lockout function of the thermostat,

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Furnace is either Propane or Electric. ONLY time I use the Propane is if I am not connected to ShorePower.

From everything i have read I would never own a HeatPump AC unit for heat.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My Furnace is either Propane or Electric. ONLY time I use the Propane is if I am not connected to ShorePower.

From everything i have read I would never own a HeatPump AC unit for heat.

You need to read other things[emoticon] HP's are GREAT down to 35 degrees. Please list which model furnace you own. RV furnaces do not have an electric option. Unless you have a special hybrid model or an add on 120 electric kit. OR you have a Aqua Hot type (Oasis is one LP/120) hydronic heating brand. Doug

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally never heard of an AC Heat put being efficient down to 35.

Since you were paying attention. I put the money I would have spent with my three 15k AC's NOT having Heat Pumps and went with "Cheap Heat" option for my furnace. Simple flip of the switch I am on Electric or Propane.

My Penguin AC's would have been about $500 more each with the heat pumps.

NOT cheap but worth every $$$.

* This post was edited 12/22/19 12:44pm by Cummins12V98 *

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally never heard of an AC Heat put being efficient down to 35.

Since you were paying attention. I put the money I would have spent with my three 15k AC's NOT having Heat Pumps and went with "Cheap Heat" option for my furnace. Simple flip of the switch I am on Electric or Propane.

My Penguin AC's would have been about $500 more each with the heat pumps.

NOT cheap but worth every $$$.

You need to broaden your knowledge base[emoticon] I have been a RV Tech for 40 years. I have been installing and working on RV HP's for the past 20 years since they introduced them for RV's. Unless you are consistently below 35 degrees, HP's are much better at Heating your RV. LESS noise and softer heat, than running a 12 volt furnace or the furnace with the 120 add on kit. MOST knowledgable RV'ers will select a HP option for their RV's. I had a HP at my stick home years ago and it worked just fine. I have yet to have a customer tell me that he wished he NEVER had the HP option. I HAVE had numerous customers add or asked to install a HP. Doug

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have more KNOWLEDGE than I but my 220V Cheap Heat addition causes no noise. My furnace is very quiet and is fully ducted.

Have a AC unit with heat pump go bad and it’s $$$. I have never heard of a single Cheap Heat issue.

Nice to have heat come down from the roof? Not the best for sure. Nice to have warm floors and to keep my tanks and plumbing heated.

No stupid space heaters to try to keep warm.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are multiple problems with the so called 'cheap heat'.

The first issue is that even the smallest CH can't run on a 15 amp circuit.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

There are multiple problems with the so called 'cheap heat'.

The first issue is that even the smallest CH can't run on a 15 amp circuit.

PLEASE continue!!!

Why the HE!! would I want to try to heat my 41’ 101” wide DRV with 15amps when I have a 220v 50A service??

Please continue........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Elec. heat v. Gas heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.