Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camping World RV Sales: Make An Offer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World RV Sales

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World RV Sales

> Make An Offer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are all good suggestions and I will keep them in mind. I will confirm what the add on costs will be before finalizing any deal. I probably won't be back for warranty work, if it means waiting for weeks or months. I'm going to be living in the unit and traveling around the country. I'll pay somebody if it's minor (or fix it myself) to get back on the road and not return to the dealer. If it's major I would probably notice it before I drive it off the lot. Otherwise, I will contact the manufacturer to find out why a new vehicle has a major problem and what they plan to do about it.

My question and the subject of the original post is not, "Is Camping World a good place to buy an RV?" The question is "How does the 'Make An Offer' process work?" Maybe no one here has ever tried to use that button. I may give it a try. If I'm making a lower offer I can condition on added costs no more than $XXX. They can accept, reject, or counter. I've already searched the unit on RV Trader and as I said in the original post the CW price is 10% less than the lowest price on RV Trader.

I can also contact some of those other dealers on RV Trader and maybe they will drop their price by over 10%. Maybe there are some extras on those other units that I should be aware of. One of my first requests of CW will be a detailed list of the options/features on the unit before we can finalize anything.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I've still got more shopping to do.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

These are real numbers for the add-on costs when I found a TT that I liked at Camping World:
$1000 delivery fee
$500 dealer prep
$1000 added to price if I did not finance with them
$100 for a full lp tank-no tank came with the TT
$200 for a battery and battery box
the salesperson said that there was a fee for the pre-delivery inspection with a technician but would not say how much

I bought at a local independent dealer for over $7000 less than CW on a similar (came manufacturer) TT. NO ADDED COSTS. JUST THE PRICE ON THE DOOR. I had a issue with mu furnace and the independent dealer fixed it that day. They then hooked up their lp tank and ran the furnace overnight to make sure the furnace was properly repaired. No charge. Done now.

Yeah, if I had seen that kind of added costs to my new 2019 Rockwood, I would have just walked out the door!

An additional $2800... Hell no.. I paid tax and license over the price we agreed on... But, that's just the state I live in. All that other **** is just fluff for the dealer... Hell no...

Mitch

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CW will usually tell you the fees and add ons are mandatory.
I even had one try to tell me that the "Documentation fee" was a state tax, and was mandatory as a state fee. It was Virginia, and I had a dealers license, I KNEW better. the $399, was the state mandated MAXIMUM they were allowed to charge. It goes straight in their pocket.
Nothing is mandatory, it is all negotiable.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

These are all good suggestions and I will keep them in mind. I will confirm what the add on costs will be before finalizing any deal. I probably won't be back for warranty work, if it means waiting for weeks or months. I'm going to be living in the unit and traveling around the country. I'll pay somebody if it's minor (or fix it myself) to get back on the road and not return to the dealer. If it's major I would probably notice it before I drive it off the lot. Otherwise, I will contact the manufacturer to find out why a new vehicle has a major problem and what they plan to do about it.

My question and the subject of the original post is not, "Is Camping World a good place to buy an RV?" The question is "How does the 'Make An Offer' process work?" Maybe no one here has ever tried to use that button. I may give it a try. If I'm making a lower offer I can condition on added costs no more than $XXX. They can accept, reject, or counter. I've already searched the unit on RV Trader and as I said in the original post the CW price is 10% less than the lowest price on RV Trader.

I can also contact some of those other dealers on RV Trader and maybe they will drop their price by over 10%. Maybe there are some extras on those other units that I should be aware of. One of my first requests of CW will be a detailed list of the options/features on the unit before we can finalize anything.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I've still got more shopping to do.
That button is not somehow connected to some mystery system that forces you to buy. Unless and until you give them money, an offer is just an offer. No legal obligation attached. Just make your offer with a firm statement about how that offer is the total out the door price (not including sales tax, which the dealer has no control over whatsoever) and is subject to inspection. Get the details in writing. Camping World sells 10s of thousands of units a year. It isn't just a giant scam. You will be fine.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

CW will usually tell you the fees and add ons are mandatory.
I even had one try to tell me that the "Documentation fee" was a state tax, and was mandatory as a state fee. It was Virginia, and I had a dealers license, I KNEW better. the $399, was the state mandated MAXIMUM they were allowed to charge. It goes straight in their pocket.
Nothing is mandatory, it is all negotiable.
It is more likely a documentation fee is a mandatory fee at the corporate level. The dealer is likely to prefer losing a sale over the fee than have the dealer employees know that the fee can be waived. Commissioned sales is a strange profession. The salespeople have an obligation to the dealer to make the maximum profit, but they only get paid if they close a sale, so they also need to do whatever it takes to please the buyer. Fees might not be a legal obligation that cannot be waived, but the owner of the dealership probably won't allow it because collecting that fee over hundreds or thousands of sales is much more profitable than any single sale.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$1000 delivery fee: ME:.. I came to your lot to buy.. How you get your inventory is your **** problem..

$500 dealer prep: ME:.. What the hell is that?

$1000 added to price if I did not finance with them: ME: That's BS.

$100 for a full lp tank-no tank came with the TT: ME: That's BS.

$200 for a battery and battery box: ME: That's BS.

My new 2019 Rockwood from a local family owned dealer didn't charge any of that ****. I had 2 full 30# propane tanks, dual 12v batteries and they worked with my credit union on the loan and I got the lowest interest rate (4%) because of my credit rating. (850)

How they sell tens of thousands of units with those kind of fees is just beyond me..

I quit CW after the first time membership expired.. Not worth it at all.

Anyway, good luck!!

Mitch

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont discuss all the nonsense add ons. I ask for the bottom line price not including tax.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is new most of the major appliances are covered by manufacture warranty. I had a Norcold Refrigerator stop on electric in my new KZ. Norcold covered it at an RV repair shop, not KZ.

Standard is about 30% under listed price.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our current 5er from CW, the main think to keep in mind, YOU need to CONTROL the process.
The unit we bought was at a CW about a 4 hour drive from our house, we had backed out of a deal on one unit locally, but had found one we liked at the CW in Burlington, WA. We started the deal locally in Portland with the salesman from the deal we backed out of the deal on. We negotiated a price from the lots pictures. At this point the manager wanted us to sign the sales contract! Well we said that would only happen once we had done a complete in person inspection and PDI! We placed a hold deposit on the 5er, as it was Monday and we could not go up until Saturday.
Once we got to Burlington on Saturday, we did an inspection and found some small items and called our salesman, and requested a reduction in price. After about 45 minutes they agreed to the reduction. We finalized the deal and towed it home.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Make an offer" is just what it means.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World RV Sales

> Make An Offer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World RV Sales

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.