cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J and Pilot moving toward B20 diesel?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have noticed the Flying J and Pilot stations I patronized in AZ and CA have switched to B20 diesel. Is this a national trend? I also noticed the selling price is the same as nearby competitors selling regular diesel. Based on a quick internet check, it seems the cost of B20 diesel is cheaper so retailers like Flying J and Pilot are making more money selling the stuff.

The switch to B20 by some of these stations have created a bit of a problem for me when traveling since I have a Mercedes Sprinter moho and I can only use B5 diesel. Instead of seeking the aforementioned brands when I travel, I now look for regular gas stations since all of them seem to sell regular diesel. A side benefit of not using the truck stops next to the interstate highways, the price of diesel is usually cheaper when buying a short distance from the interstate highways.
21 REPLIES 21

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
97chevor wrote:
I think this is more state regulations than fuel station choice. Personally, traveling across the country I have encountered regen problems from buying fuel in western states. I think it is not only the high amount of bio but what the bio is made from.

Dig it out on the Internet. Teh administration increased the mandatory amount of ethanol that must be incorporated into gasoline. I don't remember the amount. Biodiesel for Soy etc also,I think but don't quote me.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike Poorman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
starlord wrote:
...NOT supposed to run any bio of any percentage in the system (or so Ford tells me).

Never Ford diesels are certified for up B20.

Just checked the manual for my 2019 GMC Sierra 3500 HD and that

on page 47 of the 2019 Duramax Diesel Supplement they state

"Do not use a diesel blend containing more than 20% biodiesel by volume"

So it appears that B20 is acceptable.

I will stop by my local GMC dealer and check with a real person to make sure that the truck can actually run on B20 with out issues.
I spent years working at Gm dealerships. I can assure you that most people working there don't know squat. Call GM Customer Service if you want the correct answer.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Mike_Poorman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
starlord wrote:
...NOT supposed to run any bio of any percentage in the system (or so Ford tells me).

Just checked the manual for my 2019 GMC Sierra 3500 HD and that

on page 47 of the 2019 Duramax Diesel Supplement they state

"Do not use a diesel blend containing more than 20% biodiesel by volume"

So it appears that B20 is acceptable.

I will stop by my local GMC dealer and check with a real person to make sure that the truck can actually run on B20 with out issues.

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is more state regulations than fuel station choice. Personally, traveling across the country I have encountered regen problems from buying fuel in western states. I think it is not only the high amount of bio but what the bio is made from.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
You get a double hit when using the B20. As mentioned, you're paying for a less expensive fuel that the dealer sells at the more expensive price, and then you get the second hit where your fuel mileage drops because there's less BTU's (energy) in a gallon of B20 than in a gallon of straight #2 diesel. 139,000BTU in #2 diesel vs 126,700BTU in a B20 diesel. Welcome to the "how do we screw the consumer again?" game.

Don't forget we subsidize BioDiesel production with our taxes
Yep, thanks for reminding me of that one. We pay our taxes so they can subsidize the alcohol industry and sell you a less efficient fuel, give you less mileage, and make you think you're "saving the environment" On the last issue, If the brewer's grain (What's left after the alcohol is distilled) can't be disposed of very closely to the alcohol plant, there is a net cost that has to be added to the cost of production, which it seldom, if ever, is shown. Another way the government hides the cost of alcohol is by generous carbon credits that can sold to other high pollution producing industries. So not only are alcohol producers getting direct tax advantages, the drivers are subsidizing other high pollution industries. So much for environmentally friendly fuel. Politics at it's worst.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
We have a diesel car and it says #2 diesel or B5 only. I believe that every time I have stopped at a station it says #2 or B5 specifically. That being said at least in the state we live in B5 to B20 just have to state it is between B5 and B20. Checked with state and it is true and a federal law so it can be anywhere between the points. By the way called company that has the guess ratio sign and they cannot tell you ratio depends on bobber of the day.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
You get a double hit when using the B20. As mentioned, you're paying for a less expensive fuel that the dealer sells at the more expensive price, and then you get the second hit where your fuel mileage drops because there's less BTU's (energy) in a gallon of B20 than in a gallon of straight #2 diesel. 139,000BTU in #2 diesel vs 126,700BTU in a B20 diesel. Welcome to the "how do we screw the consumer again?" game.

Don't forget we subsidize BioDiesel production with oru taxes

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
starlord wrote:

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
Thanks for posting the list. As I suspected, all but one of the stations in CA now sell B20. In AZ, only 3 stations show B5 and the rest don't say the type of diesel being sold.

No problem.
You know you can use up to B20 in the MB V6 as long as you keep an eye on the oil level, and some owners have said they shorten the oil/fuel filter and oil change intervals.

MB lays it out in the OM under (go figure) "B20 fuels with bio-diesel content" fuel.
In my 2017 Sprinter manual it's a short blerb on/near page 275.

"B20 fuels with bio-diesel content
! Continuous use of B20 fuel can lead to fuel
filter clogging and injector deposits. This can
cause engine performance degradation.
Injector deposits can cause the engine oil
level to rise due to unburned fuel washing into
the oil pan. This can cause engine mechanical
damage.

To avoid damages and performance degradation:
- Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever
possible.
- Regularly monitor your engine oil level if
you use B20 fuel on a regular basis.
- Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted
in the instrument cluster and within
your maintenance booklet.
- Use only engine oils and filters approved for
use in your vehicle.
- If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for
several weeks, fill your vehicleโ€™s fuel tank in
advance with ULSD fuel.

For more information, consult the gas station
staff. The fatty acid methyl ester B5 or B20 label
on the fuel pump must clearly state that the
standard for ULSD is complied with. If the marking
does not make this clear, do not refuel from
that pump.
Do not refuel with any fuels that have not been
approved for your vehicle.
For more information about refueling
(> page 125)."

I should have added that I use PFJ and the other truck stops for their DEF at the truck lane pumps, but rarely for diesel any more, unless I can be sure it's B5 (maybe B10?) or less. Since they're all heading for B5 to B20 at all their pumps, I'll just use them for the amenities, but not the fuel, unless I have no choice. When I drove gas engined motorhomes, I used truck stops all the time. Too bad, because they've lost most of my $$$ business, and they do have some nice loyalty perks for regular fuel users. The coffee is usually great, and the other amenities are still worth stopping once in a while.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had our 5th wheel we typically got fuel at FlyingJ/Loves/TA truck stops due to the lack of maneuverability at smaller stations. Unfortunately (like the OP mentioned), it seems most truck stops these days sell B20. Now that we have an in-bed camper we can now fuel up anywhere. We use Gasbuddy and try to stick with major retailers like Shell. Rarely use B20 anymore.

It's my understanding that suppliers can mix as much as 5% bio without any reference to bio on the pump.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No one or group will stop the B20 diesel fuel โ€œinvasionโ€ just like the introduction of unleaded gasoline.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
double post

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our 05 Catdoesn'tlikeBio or the new ultra low sulfur diesel.
But Biodiesel does serious damage to injector an pump o rings and seals and fuel hoses, and other engine seals.I've heard or read of from 4,000.00 to as much as 8,000.00 to replace all the rings, seals and hoses and if injectors and pump are damaged s result it is a lot more. They say we can use up to 5% Bio diesel.I have put some B20 in the tan but not enough to exceed the 5% total volume.
We filled the tank abut 1/2 tank or 45 gallons of diesel at the Kingma, Az Flyin J three weeks ago.I did not see any labels saying it contained Biodiesel.
We will be sittign ehre another month so I'm going to the Ct Dealer and get some Biocide just in case.Bugs/algae likes Biodiesel as does water and Biodiesel gels easy. As noted by another poster we get fewer miles per gallon on even 5%Biodiesel. When you drive across country you notice the difference.