Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Rear end ratios
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Rear end ratios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/26/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Correction. I don't dare to test governor with camper on, so last time I pushed it was over 2 years ago.
Memory played with me and I check my old notes to find my 2017 governor is 95 mph. Still barely past 1/2 on tachometer scale.





jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/26/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Top speed doesn’t come into play if we do 0-60 in any case. [emoticon]


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 10/29/2001

View Profile



Posted: 12/26/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

BradW wrote:

All me knows is me loves the 4.10 gears in our 2018 PSD Superdutuy when hauling our camper and towing our jeep.


IMHO: not the best gears for fuel economy.

- Mark0.


I didn't buy the thing to cruise the mall or ride up and down the road doing 85 while towing nothing; I bought it to tow a load. I'm over 18k lbs 90% of the time and drive 65ish. I would be sick if I had gone with the 3.55 gears. I could have lived with 3.73 gears, but DA Ford no longer offers that ratio.

With what I haul/tow and how I drive, 3.55 gears would not have helped my mileage any.

brad


Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos


Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/26/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was moving to different state, my combo was in the range of 18,000 lb as well. That was when I got pi** ed when I notice that my 3.55 differential allows the engine take 6% long grades without dropping from overdrive.
What's the purpose of automatic transmission, when you drive 300 miles on single gear?

Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile






Posted: 12/26/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My GVW is close to 18k lbs when I have the trailer hanging off the rear and I am around 25K lbs GCW. I am very happy with my 4.44 gearing while at the 55-65 mph travel speeds in my area.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


ticki2

NH

Senior Member

Joined: 07/09/2008

View Profile



Posted: 12/26/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

mbloof wrote:

BradW wrote:

All me knows is me loves the 4.10 gears in our 2018 PSD Superdutuy when hauling our camper and towing our jeep.


IMHO: not the best gears for fuel economy.

- Mark0.


I didn't buy the thing to cruise the mall or ride up and down the road doing 85 while towing nothing; I bought it to tow a load. I'm over 18k lbs 90% of the time and drive 65ish. I would be sick if I had gone with the 3.55 gears. I could have lived with 3.73 gears, but DA Ford no longer offers that ratio.

With what I haul/tow and how I drive, 3.55 gears would not have helped my mileage any.

brad
That's because you don't have the SUPER super duty that Kayteg has .


'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Buzzcut1

Norcal

Senior Member

Joined: 10/04/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/26/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

BradW wrote:

mbloof wrote:

BradW wrote:

All me knows is me loves the 4.10 gears in our 2018 PSD Superdutuy when hauling our camper and towing our jeep.


IMHO: not the best gears for fuel economy.

- Mark0.


I didn't buy the thing to cruise the mall or ride up and down the road doing 85 while towing nothing; I bought it to tow a load. I'm over 18k lbs 90% of the time and drive 65ish. I would be sick if I had gone with the 3.55 gears. I could have lived with 3.73 gears, but DA Ford no longer offers that ratio.

With what I haul/tow and how I drive, 3.55 gears would not have helped my mileage any.

brad
That's because you don't have the SUPER super duty that Kayteg has .


that and Brad is not a blowhard


2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags


specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 12/26/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took my work truck in today to get serviced. Just an oil change, some misc services and to get the tires rotated.

Its a 2009 F-450 4wd 6.4L diesel with 225/70R/19.5 tires.

At 65 mph its turning about 2400 RPM.

What gears would you guess it has??


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded


Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile






Posted: 12/26/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The F450 pickups used to come with 4.30 ratios and no other choice. I'm not sure if that is still the case on new models.

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/26/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I took my work truck in today to get serviced. Just an oil change, some misc services and to get the tires rotated.

Its a 2009 F-450 4wd 6.4L diesel with 225/70R/19.5 tires.

At 65 mph its turning about 2400 RPM.

What gears would you guess it has??


That's more than mine at 4.30 turns, so my guess is 4.88.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Rear end ratios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.