Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Upgrading Brakes Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Upgrading Brakes Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Our trucks need great brakes if we are ever in an emergency situation. The thing is I've never been in an emergency situation. There has been a couple times on my bike that I hit the brakes a little hard for a split second and it seems it takes very little effort to skid the back wheel. (My bike doesn't have antilock braking). My point is I could spend money on expensive brakes but how would I guage the improvement.

If I kept my truck long enough I think I would get about 200k miles on the factory brakes.

That is done by sticking the decal that is provided in a high vis place. [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I have used EBC and I like them. I believe the compound needs less peddle effort to produce the same braking effort. EBC gives a very different feel.

I agree!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't think I mentioned this but a GREAT 2nd gen mod for a 2000-2002 RAM front axle. Rear spec is OE.

You will need to have at least 17" wheels to do this. I did change out to 17" HD wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers, VERY happy with both..

I bought 2003 2500 RAM PowerStop coated Cradles and calipers. They are very nice quality!

I bought EBC dimpled and slotted rotors same 2003 spec along with EBC Orange HD Truck and SUV pads.

Just this mod alone will give better braking with the larger rotors, calipers and pads. But once I finished this mod and had a few miles on them is all I can say is HOLY SH!T!!!

To put the Cherry on top I used AMZ/OIL Synthetic Brake fluid.

[image]
[image]
[image]

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

snip...

even super tuning calipers. Any binding of the slides will affect modulation....why fixed caliper best for high end performance modulation

Happy Holidays everyone !

Kids and grandson are off to see their mother on the other side of bay. Prime Rib ready for the oven and turkey started in the Weber

Answer to the PM on how floating calipers bind to affect modulation

GM's GMT400 era calipers on full sized are not the greatest. They even hired Bosch to do some forensics and the report said the caliper was not stiff enough and deformed under hard braking

Meaning that the piston on one side and the anvil on the other side is connected by a bridge not stiff enough. Most all floating caliper designs have the piston on one side and the anvil on the other side, but they seem to stiff enough to not deform...and/or...their slide design doesn't get pinched

Deform as in spreading apart and the slide tubes that are in the bridge get pinched.

So pedal modulation finesse is reduced

Super tune those slide tubes with better grease/oil/additives allows the tubes to continue to slide more easily.

Fill the tube to caliper bore with synthetic oil mixed with high temp grease and Molyb additive. Change the tube's O-Rings each time the pads are changed...as the O-Rings do get brittle in the constant high heat and heat cycle rates of braking. Getting them hotter accelerates their demise

My other vehicles do NOT have that slide tube design and the caliper floats between the sides of the cage. The slide mechanism is removed from the caliper's piston/anvil clamping forces

Also test your ABS often. Both to cycle some brake fluid through the ABS module and to get to know your braking of that vehicle

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Very interesting Ben. And sounds like the Xmas feasts are well underway.
Makes sense now why high performance brakes are generally fixed caliper design.

Purty brakes there 12V! I’d hate to drive through a mud puddle with them!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Purty brakes there 12V! I’d hate to drive through a mud puddle with them!"

Understand that!

I really like the idea of the coated calipers and cradles.

Devo the dog

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The upgrade I did on my Ford was an actual upgrade, not a change in rotor manufacture or pad compound.

I put on larger calipers (SSBC) on all four axles plus I had a shop take off the existing brake lines and remake the brake lines using the existing hardware but replace the hoses with SS braided hose. The calipers are much larger - I think the swept area is about 35% larger. Also, the fronts are 6 piston and the rears are 3 piston so the the piston force is evenly distributed.

The pedal feel is just as good as any of my race cars, which really makes it fun to drive even though I only drive it once or twice a month.

[image]
[image]
[image]

I haven't yet experimented on changing the pad compound because the ones provided by SSBC work fine.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo, a very nice setup !

Just curious why the calipers seem to be different, or is it just the angle of view ?

Devo the dog

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Devo, a very nice setup !

Just curious why the calipers seem to be different, or is it just the angle of view ?

Physically, they appear to be about 2x the size although they aren't actually two times larger. The caliper is also has extra material (the ribs) and are a bit thicker so it doesn't flex when clamping.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Fronts and rears.
I bet that thing dang near stand on its nose compared to OE brakes !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Upgrading Brakes Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.