Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: generator surge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> generator surge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^One of my hobbies is large scale gas cars and buggies constantly modified the 2 stroke engines also 2 of my atvs are vintage 2 stroke Suzuki Quadzillas, so the ultrasonic cleaner gets a work out.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

Small engines and E10 gasoline are a bad combination. Run non-ethanol gas if you can. Fuel stabilizer also is a good idea especially if the engine sits with fuel between uses.

IMHO people make to big of a deal about E10 in small engines. All of mine run E10 (E00 is very difficult/expensive in my area) and most will sit all winter/summer without stabilizer. I do like to drain the carburetor at the end of the season which usually means the equipment need a shot of something to start up next year, but that is a one time thing.

The biggest problem I run into is equipment with large tanks (portable generator) that do not get used a lot. If your equipment does not use more than 2 or 3 tanks per season, you should drain the tank completely once a year.

tiffy2000

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Onan 5500 and have the same issue. Two years ago I had a surging issue and replaced the electric fuel pump (after replacing the fuel filter) . That appeared to fix it until this year, replaced filter, ran SeaFoam through it , no better. Took off carb bowl with carb in place, cleaned it as good as I could...also noticed governor linkage had popped off governor and popped that back on.... purred like a kitten with / without load. Vacation , started surging again.... probably will end up forking out the $315 for a new carb even though it irritates me as I bought a new carb for my Champion for $25....can't find a knock off for this 5500 Onan

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

gbopp wrote:

When I started the generator it ran smooth and continues to run smooth.

Its worth trying and is easier than cleaning/replacing the carburetor.

Sometimes Snake Oil works.. [emoticon]

Sometimes ! I have never been that lucky !!

Maybe that explains why I never won the lottery (except the one in Nigeria).
I wasted all my luck on snake oil.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

give it a triple strength shot of seafoam. Who knows, maybe it will be your day.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best cure is not let gas get stale. Seafoam or any other stabilzer will only do so much. If you have 60 gallons plus of stale gas you will have problems. The more you use your RV, the better.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

gbopp wrote:

When I started the generator it ran smooth and continues to run smooth.

Its worth trying and is easier than cleaning/replacing the carburetor.

Sometimes Snake Oil works.. [emoticon]

Sometimes ! I have never been that lucky !!

I HAVE been that lucky. I had a riding mower with the carb so gummed up I had to use starter fluid (ether) sprayed directly into the air intake to start it. Even then, it ran rough. I used double strength Seafoam for a season. By the end of the season, the mower ran like it had a new carb installed.

I like the suggestion about the spray Seafoam into the air intake. But, I would also ALWAYS have Seafoam in its fuel. Actually, since that episode I DO always have Seafoam in the fuel for mine.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tiffy2000, I feel your pain. Last carb for our Marquis Gold 7000 was 192.00 thru an independent Onan repair shop. Now due for another. Like you said, no knock off available and not rebuildable, just another throw away item. Nothing PO's me more than when people fire up Yamahazees and Hondas, off they go, no choking, no puking, I'm sure you know the routine only too well also.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> generator surge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.