Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Dish TV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish TV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a used 5er that had a Winegard Traveler antenna system that was set up as a Direct TV system. We want to change it to a Dish system. To do so, as we understand it, we need to change the dish feed arm which will change the system from Direct TV to Dish. That is about $255.00. Or we could go with the Dish Playmaker Bundle for $299.00. The Traveler is mounted on the 5er roof whereas the Playmaker just sits on the ground and can be moved to avoid trees etc. that may be in the way for the satellite signal. It seems to me this remote location would also encourage the theft of the unit. What we'd like to know is, which of these two systems do you all like better? What are some pros and cons that you have experienced? And any other thoughts that you veterans may have.

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous MH had a roof mounted manual dish that I hated. When we got our new rig in '15, we got a Dish system with an automatic 'loose' antenna I could move around on the ground. As you mentioned, I was worried about theft so would bring it in each night (then have to put it back out in the morning). After a couple years, I found I just as often would have to put it up on the MH roof to dodge bushes on the ground as dodge trees from the ground. Finally just mounted it on the roof permanently. That worked best for me. I suppose the best option would be to buy 2 antennas and if the roof one is blocked, then deploy the ground unit. What I have found is that most RV parks are hip to satellite TV rigs now and if you ask when checking in, they will spot you in a satellite friendly space.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might want to do both. just make sure that the receiver you select can use both antennas...not all can.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Pathway X2 would be a better choice over the Playmaker. The X2 can fully tune both arcs for better aiming opportunities on heavily treed sites. Like all the domes, it's also limited to just basic receivers though.

We use a manually aimed tripod mounted dish that we can equip for either arc for use with the Dish Hopper multi-tuner series of DVR receivers. We've stayed on well over two hundred different sites with our dish, and have always been able to get a signal despite never selecting sites for a satellite view.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All “heavenly” feeds can be assessed from the ground or RV roof my Bible says. Book, chapter and verse available upon request.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After years of manually aiming a tripod setup, I broke down and bought a Carryout GM1518 when I pulled into a campsite and my neighbor was selling his. He pulled out the next day before I had a chance to test it out. It didn't work and I started troubleshooting it via email with Winegard. Another camper who saw me with the cover off and fussing with it came over and said he had one but could never get it working and would almost give it away! Long story short, I ended with with two Carryout GM1518 Winegard dishes. The second one worked after flipping the switches so it would find the western arc. The results of troubleshooting the first one confirmed it had failed. After much trepidation, I shipped it off to Winegard where they actually replaced a couple of small parts on one of the boards to fix it. The repair wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. (who does board level repair these days?) Afterwards, I had two working portables. I was going to sell one but then got to thinking about mounting one permanently on the roof for ease of use and keeping the other one for those numerous occasions we were assigned a site under the trees. That's what I've done for the past several years. Out west, there's no problem with trees obstructing the roof mounted dish but around home there's lots of trees. We're headed to Florida this winter and packing the extra dish - just in case while hoping we can get by with the roof mounted one. Like you, I don't like leaving something that expensive out all night when bicycles regularly disappear when left out. I do carry a long cable and big lock to secure the portable when I do leave it out. (chains are too easily cut with bolt cutters)

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used a Tailgater for years. I carry a dog tie out plastic coated wire cable and padlock it to a tree, table leg, stabilizer, etc. Would not stop someone with good bolt cutters. But in 12 years no problem.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you spend all of your time under the trees, the Trav'ler changed over to DISH will make you the happiest. The service is exactly the same as you would receive at home and none of the issues with rain and morning dew that will be experienced with a dome. If you do choose a dome, the Pathway X2 mentioned above would be your best choice. You can't use a Hopper with any dome and it's best to only use 1 receiver but otherwise it's pretty good.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference in the portable and the travler , besides being able to get out From under trees and rain fade on small reflector portables is in the tuners abilities .
The Wally tuner in particular , opens up a second tuner inside with the travler. with a added hard drive , It allows you to record/ watch two program channels at a time ...4 if you purchase and attach the over the air dongle.
The travler also allows you to use the “Hopper” 16 tuner home receiver should you want to. It doesn’t work with any dome portable . the travler also allows you you use multiple independent tuners that can be totally independent of Each other. Domes don’t offer that independent tuning. As they are locked to just one satellite at a time and Dish uses 3

Bill

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jorbill2or wrote:

The difference in the portable and the travler , besides being able to get out From under trees and rain fade on small reflector portables is in the tuners abilities .
The Wally tuner in particular , opens up a second tuner inside with the travler. with a added hard drive , It allows you to record/ watch two program channels at a time ...4 if you purchase and attach the over the air dongle.
The travler also allows you to use the “Hopper” 16 tuner home receiver should you want to. It doesn’t work with any dome portable . the travler also allows you you use multiple independent tuners that can be totally independent of Each other. Domes don’t offer that independent tuning. As they are locked to just one satellite at a time and Dish uses 3

Thanks for saving me some time answering the OP's question. We have a Tailgator in our small travel trailer. It works great with a few caveats. Any time you have a power interruption such as shutting of the generator while boondocking, the Tailgator has to go through it full scan, switch check etc. when the power is turned on. This takes about 10 minutes. We carry 100' of wire to avoid tree issues. We try to keep the Tailgator off the ground in campgrounds because it becomes a "target" for dogs. With the Tailgator you are somewhat limited as to receiver choices. For our needs in the small trailer, the Tailgator work satisfactorily.

We have a Travler in our MH. I converted it to accept a Hopper 3 by adding a power inserter and node. Instructions are available on line. Dish says not to us a Hopper in a RV mainly because of possible damage to the hard drive. On line instructions just tell you to unplug it while in transit if you have an inverter or generator running. We like the Prime Time recording feature of the Hopper so we can ditch the commercials. The only drawback is trees blocking the dish a few times.

I do see lots of folks using the Pathway but have no knowledge of them. I would avoid the portable manual dish setup. I hated trying to find the birds. Of course back then we didn't have phone satellite locating apps.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.