cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator theft.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard of the generator stolen out of a motor home? I had a call from my storage facility yesterday telling me something about the motor home next to mine tampered with and that they checked mine and one of the basement doors was ajar, they said they checked all other doors and main door al all was ok.. I went out today and the lock on the generator door had been pried open. The key wouldn't work, I finally fixed it and locked the door. I'll go back out tomorrow and check further. I checked all the other basement doors also. There were a couple scratches on the lock where they had pried on it. I have had a motor home there since 2005, no problem
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
15 REPLIES 15

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
My RV dealer, which is large with hundreds of models on lot, was experiencing numerous thief of A/C, Generators, TV, electronics, etc. as well as damages to the coaches. After a few years of such he had a 7 strand high voltage electrical fence build around his entire grounds. It solved the thief problem.

So, you're saying "Walls work" ....;) :B ....Dennis

It is working for him...There are signs posted on the fence WARNING 7,000 Volts, etc. He said it some one messed with at night they would find them next morning :B

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are no locks on ours for the propane and generator compartments. We always assumed it was for fast access in case of a problem.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Whats your key# ch751, 575. 223. we all have those. go get new locks if you are concerned

If someone is prepared to remove/lift a heavy arse generator from an RV it's unlikely that any lock is going to deter them.
Kevin

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
PastorCharlie wrote:
My RV dealer, which is large with hundreds of models on lot, was experiencing numerous thief of A/C, Generators, TV, electronics, etc. as well as damages to the coaches. After a few years of such he had a 7 strand high voltage electrical fence build around his entire grounds. It solved the thief problem.

So, you're saying "Walls work" ....;) :B ....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
My RV as been stored there since 2005 and this is the first ptoblem at the facility that I am aware of. Someone bumped my mirror a few years ago but didn't do any damage except bumpin it out of adjustment.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Someone (or group of people) have clearly figured out that your RV storage lot is an easy mark. (at least for now) If it continues, I suggest a chat with the owner/operator about installing an electrified fence and/or camera security, more local police work, and better lighting. Otherwise, IMO it's just a matter of time until they "get to you." Or, be proactive and move your RV to a more secure location.

Chum lee

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Thefts of RVs and components and contents I think is a bit higher than we hear.
I say that because Friends own an auto Dealership. They regularly lose tires and wheels, alternators, catalytic converters and the new emissions equipment and other things, yet I don't recall seeing anything in our local paper or on the net or on the radio. We were just talking and asked him why they didn't fence the place. I don't remember exactly what was said but their insurance is apparently cheaper than the fencing. As far as I know no cameras even. Their Dad worked with my grandfather in the coal mines in the later part of the 1800s and early part of the 20th century. A rel nice guy and pillar of the community. I think it had something to do with his values. I'm sure a lot of 3/4 and 1 tons are towing among other things RVs around the Countrywith some of their stolen equipment.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My generator and LP tank hatches do not have locks on them. I assume that was done for emergency access in case of a fire. As far as RV theft overall goes, storage and dealers lots seem to be the most common locations for them. I have heard of specific parts being stolen from installed generators, but not complete generators.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV door locks are only there to slow access to your stuff by non RVโ€™ers. Walk into any RV supply store and โ€œyourโ€ keys are right there on the shelf.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was assisting a young lady with a plumbing leak (ok not so young. perhaps 60-70) but we got to talking and I ask about the gravity fill for her fresh water tank... She did not know where it was.. So I took out MY key ring and opened the locked door over the gravity fill port for her.. Yup. my keys fit here Rig.
(Most impressive for her... I was like 90% sure that would work) all the little square doors opened with my little square door key.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Whats your key# ch751, 575. 223. we all have those. go get new locks if you are concerned

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dealership I worked for had a couple of generators stolen from coaches out front. So, yes, it happens.
Also, RV storage facilities are prime ground for thieves, I once wrote over 20 estimates for theft damage at a facility that got hit.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They probably dont even know whats in there. Just looking for something to steal and turn into quick cash.