Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Generator theft.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Generator theft.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone heard of the generator stolen out of a motor home? I had a call from my storage facility yesterday telling me something about the motor home next to mine tampered with and that they checked mine and one of the basement doors was ajar, they said they checked all other doors and main door al all was ok.. I went out today and the lock on the generator door had been pried open. The key wouldn't work, I finally fixed it and locked the door. I'll go back out tomorrow and check further. I checked all the other basement doors also. There were a couple scratches on the lock where they had pried on it. I have had a motor home there since 2005, no problem

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some will try to steal anything.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They probably dont even know whats in there. Just looking for something to steal and turn into quick cash.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealership I worked for had a couple of generators stolen from coaches out front. So, yes, it happens.
Also, RV storage facilities are prime ground for thieves, I once wrote over 20 estimates for theft damage at a facility that got hit.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whats your key# ch751, 575. 223. we all have those. go get new locks if you are concerned

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was assisting a young lady with a plumbing leak (ok not so young. perhaps 60-70) but we got to talking and I ask about the gravity fill for her fresh water tank... She did not know where it was.. So I took out MY key ring and opened the locked door over the gravity fill port for her.. Yup. my keys fit here Rig.
(Most impressive for her... I was like 90% sure that would work) all the little square doors opened with my little square door key.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV door locks are only there to slow access to your stuff by non RV’ers. Walk into any RV supply store and “your” keys are right there on the shelf.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My generator and LP tank hatches do not have locks on them. I assume that was done for emergency access in case of a fire. As far as RV theft overall goes, storage and dealers lots seem to be the most common locations for them. I have heard of specific parts being stolen from installed generators, but not complete generators.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV dealer, which is large with hundreds of models on lot, was experiencing numerous thief of A/C, Generators, TV, electronics, etc. as well as damages to the coaches. After a few years of such he had a 7 strand high voltage electrical fence build around his entire grounds. It solved the thief problem.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thefts of RVs and components and contents I think is a bit higher than we hear.
I say that because Friends own an auto Dealership. They regularly lose tires and wheels, alternators, catalytic converters and the new emissions equipment and other things, yet I don't recall seeing anything in our local paper or on the net or on the radio. We were just talking and asked him why they didn't fence the place. I don't remember exactly what was said but their insurance is apparently cheaper than the fencing. As far as I know no cameras even. Their Dad worked with my grandfather in the coal mines in the later part of the 1800s and early part of the 20th century. A rel nice guy and pillar of the community. I think it had something to do with his values. I'm sure a lot of 3/4 and 1 tons are towing among other things RVs around the Countrywith some of their stolen equipment.

* This post was edited 12/23/19 03:53pm by down home *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Generator theft.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.