Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trend is to online with or without site lock fee.
There are several providers of online res. systems that are limited to showing dates and level of service.
Finally ,there is an online res. system that deals with the intracies of parks and you.
When you want to make a res. at an campspot.com reservation hosted park, you will be required to go through a field of questions that concern your unit and wishes even in depth as to which sat. tv. provider and allow you to pick and see current photos of that site.

If you do not lock the site for fee, , then occupancy optimization may shift you to another site designated as equal or better of the same type. Should this happen you get an automated confirmation email of the site # change.

We have searched high and low, tried everything This is the best that works for you and us at this time. We have always given the best we have to the first caller, the early bird got the worm.

Whats your vote?
1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?
2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?
3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?
4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.
5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.
Votes please line by line.
comments welcome

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. yes it is

2. Yes, but the sites I use refer to it as a reservation fee.

3. No, I wouldn't like that. If I am just passing through it probably wouldn't matter but if I specified a specific spot and you moved me, don't think that would fly.

4. Don't know what you mean by this. If I am using an online system I would not think of calling unless this was stated somewhere in the system. If you are holding out sites then say so to anyone who is having trouble getting a spot. It shouldn't be an "inside" kind of thing.

5. This system is too confusing. We do a family reunion every year and we pick a spot and have everyone reserve. We try to get close but sometimes we are not together because someone was late requesting. I don't think one person in the group needs to be in control

I do not know anything about the online reservation system you are talking about. I prefer the state park systems in WA, OR and CA. After that I use Reserve America and Recreation.gov. Each one of these charge a reservation fee and require full payment up front. All of them allow you to cancel, and if done in a specific time window give full refunds aside from the 8 or 10 dollar reservation fee.

When I am going to a smaller campground I usually call. I have never been given the run around after reserving a spot. If someone calls and wants to get a spot for a 27ft trailer with only two people, you should assign one that will work for them. It sounds like you would like to give them a nice large spot but when someone else calls in with the same size trailer but a family of 5, would you move the first people out so the larger group could take the spot? That is what is sounds like you are doing. I don't think that is a very good business practice.

A KOA will reserve a spot but not tell you exactly which one and they do not charge the full amount until you get there. I suppose they might move you around if needed but they don't mislead you going in.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me...

1. Sometimes (well, most of the time), as I'm often on a schedule and like to be sure of a campsite when I arrive. Online reservations are usually more convenient for me than by telephone or whatever.

2. I don't care for online (or other) reservation fees, but they are a fact of life often. If you're talking about a separate additional fee to lock in a specific site vs. reserving any site in general, that's a wrinkle I have not yet encountered.

3. If no specific site, area, or need were given, I wouldn't necessarily expect to know if I had been shifted to a different site and generally would not care if that were done. If I chose a specific site to reserve, I would generally not expect that to be changed, and may have reasons for prefering the site that the system doesn't take into account; however, if called and asked, in many cases I'd be perfectly fine with being relocated.

4. If the system online gives no indication of site availability, I would probably not think on my own of calling/emailing about site availability. If some sites are marked as unavailable for reservation due to "phone reservation only" or something similar it would make it a lot clearer what's going on; even a blanket statement that not all reservable sites are available online would be a good idea.

5. Sounds reasonable.

One final general note: having specific searching/reservation criteria is nice, but it can go too far. Undergoing a survey akin to Lady Bracknell's interrogation of Jack Worthing just to get an overnight place is a bit much. At some point it might be better to present the available sites and their features/quirks and let one choose than to try to suss it out via AI.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all thanks for doing your research to lead to a better experience for both ends of this.
It amazes me how many CGs have no internet presence at all other than google naming them as being in an area you are searching.

#1 yes
#2 yes as my wife thinks we are buying the site even on an overnighter
#3 yes
#4 doesn't matter
#5 doesn't apply.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1 - yes
#2 - no. The only way I would pay a site lock if it included the ability to refuse the secondary site with a full refund.
#3 - no. I google earth the campground and read online reviews looking for preferred sites. I don't select just any old site.
#4 maybe. If I really want to be at a CG, I will call and see if there are are cancellations etc. If online says you're full, I'll go onto my next choice.
#5 yes. Groups are a special case and screwing it up can cost you future revenue.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) No, I like to talk to folks. I do reserve on line with state parks etc. but if phone is an option I will always call. Keep it personable

2) No, but for operators its the only way to help make the budget. I am sure between no shows and short cancelations this is a way to make up some of the difference.

3)Yes

4) If you mean by this you are saving sites for folks who call, that's not right. You are either online reservations or phone you have to be all in on both of the systems.

5) I have just finished making some reservations for a large group. A phone call followed up with a emailed list of the folks. Most parks I have dealt with have given me a window for all parties to call and make payment etc. Again the more conversation between folks the better off.

One of the biggest things for me is a lot of sites are making the person jump through so many hoops just to get a nightly price.KOA is a good one for that. Some sites do not even list there prices, I do not take the time to visit them.

Keep up the good work

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

The trend is to online with or without site lock fee.
There are several providers of online res. systems that are limited to showing dates and level of service.
Finally ,there is an online res. system that deals with the intracies of parks and you.
When you want to make a res. at an campspot.com reservation hosted park, you will be required to go through a field of questions that concern your unit and wishes even in depth as to which sat. tv. provider and allow you to pick and see current photos of that site.

If you do not lock the site for fee, , then occupancy optimization may shift you to another site designated as equal or better of the same type. Should this happen you get an automated confirmation email of the site # change.

We have searched high and low, tried everything This is the best that works for you and us at this time. We have always given the best we have to the first caller, the early bird got the worm.

Whats your vote?
1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?
2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?
3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?
4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.
5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.
Votes please line by line.
comments welcome

1 - Yes worth the trouble, as long as I can talk to a real person if necessary.

2 - No - it's called a reservation for a reason - right? I reserve the spot for a date range that your system shows it is available, I pay for it right then. Why do I have to pay a fee? At campspot.com, this fee is described as "Your guests desire a specific site and are willing to pay for its guarantee. Set a custom lock fee, collect additional revenue, and increase guest satisfaction. " How does having to pay an additional fee increase my satisfaction? I made a reservation - that is what locks the site. If you need additional revenue, figure something else out. Turn off that feature that may move me if I don't lock the site.

3 - No! I picked the site based on my needs and some pictures. A computer software program can't make this decision for me. Not sure why you would need to do this. If the site is unavailable due to some act of God like a tree falling into it then there is this device called a phone. Call me.

4 - OK by me.

5 - That's a great feature for people who need it.

I'm curious though - in another thread you said that you were selling - why are you researching reservation system then?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. If I can't reserve online, I don't stay there (except our seasonal site).

2. No.

3. No, if I have reserved a site and the campground staff gives my site to someone else, then I'd move on. If there is a problem with the site and it can't be occupied, then that's different.

4. If the web site says it is unavailable, then it is unavailable. Why it is unavailable is not important to me.

5. We rarely camp with a group, so not important to us.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find the Reserve America reservation system easy to understand and use. I've only once been shifted to a different site than the one I reserved at site specific parks, and that was unavoidable since the fire investigators were still examining the remains of the previous occupant's RV.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will use online reservations when available, and make any upfront payments required. I despise reservation systems that don’t allow me to pick a site, and site will be assigned when you get there. I don’t like reservation systems that don’t show a recent picture of the site and information about the site.

As far as letting the CG swap one to another site, it depends. If I picked it, then IF it’s to a better site (subjective of course) at no additional cost then fine. If I did not reserve a particular site, how would I know or care. However, if you took my reservation knowing my needs, and you decide to move me to another site that doesn't fit the needs, then shame on you and g’bye. If you move me to a different site cause a buddy wanted “My” site, g’bye.

If your systems says you’re full, then you’re full. If you have something like... “All sites available for online reservations are taken. Please call us directly to see if something is available” then OK.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.