Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/23/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation? It's not "trouble". It's much more convenient than calling because I can do it any time of day or night. However, having a phone/email for questions is helpful. Not sure why you think these are mutually exclusive. Instant confirmation would be great as often you are left wondering if the reservation went through. MUST be secure payment

2- Are you OK with a site lock fee? If you mean a deposit, yes.

3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need? Yes, as long as it's comparable. If a specific site is requested and the need to move arises you should contact the guest and explain the situation. I realize this is time-consuming but proactive customer service is far better than surprises.

4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.How are you going to determine who is a "dang good driver"? Most of us feel we fall into that category. If there are potential issues then restrict the site to staff or rigs smaller than a certain size. Best option is fix the site so there are no issues.

5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold. Don't group camp but in fairness to all there should be a deadline for all to make their reservations.


I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A live person is best, Online is next best. Email is iffy. Definitely a deposit of at least the first night of camping. First night non refundable.

1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?


Yes, see above.
2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?


No.
3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?


Yes, but mention phoning to confirm no vacancy.
4- Accessibility in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availability. Might not be true.


I've hardly ever camped with a group. It is a "once per year" item for me.
5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ken56

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 01/12/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/23/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is almost a requirement anymore today to reserve online. TN state parks is online only even though one can do a driveup and take a chance. Payment is required at time of reservation and one can cacel a week prior with a full refund less the infamous fee.

I am a member of Coast to Coast and their reservations are online only. I have never had a problem with a res or been denied a spot. Granted, some very popular parks might be full if you are a guest but I have never experienced that myself as yet.

When we are on the road we call the park directly. For an overnight we start looking while on the road at about 2pm on RVPARKY and call the park and give an estimated time of arrival and I never make a reservation. If we decide to stay longer at that park I go the next morning as soon as the office opens and ask if it is possible to extend for x many days, pay for the extra days and go back to the trailer and relax.

Flexibility is key. I have never had an issue anywhere I have gone, but then I don't go to extremely popular tourist destinations in the high season either, I have that luxury of having my own time and schedule.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/23/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to phone a host AT THE PARK! Usually get a better idea of what you are getting into.


Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog


Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

Senior Member

Joined: 03/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a camper van, and a cat. Whenever possible I call ahead and talk to a live person to make sure that both of these things will be ok. Different park operators have different views on irregular RVs and non-dog pets.

For this reason, I prefer not to use an online system for a private park. It's fine for public parks.


3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.


ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/23/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?


You say "worth the trouble" and honestly, for me- it's preferred. I dislike making reservations over the phone. Providing my address, credit card number, and all that jazz seems to be an exercise in frustration ("no, no L in the last name. yes, "T" as in Tom").

I greatly prefer online reservations because it's simpler for me. Plus, I can do it at 1am which seems to be when my best trip planning occurs!


SDcampowneroperator wrote:

2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?


I don't think I would ever pay a site lock fee. I understand why you might want to do it and can definitely see your perspective about better management and use of your sites, but even still- feels like a money grab.


SDcampowneroperator wrote:

3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?


Equal or better are hard to defined when someone picks a certain site. It's hard to know why they wanted site #121. It could be that they want to be next to friends or near a certain amenity or could be sentimental- I still know what site my wife and I spent our 1 year anniversary on.

Please call me if you change my site, but be prepared for occasional pushback.

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.


I think this would be good in the description or special note for sites. But I don't like the idea of a blanket, "no availability" statement without it being qualified/explained (tell me on the site that there may be other sites available, but I have to call to reserve them). If I don't have an indication that there might be others, I'll assume you're full-up and will move on.

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.


I imagine groups are a challenge. I fully expect that when I participate as a group reservation that I need to call in. Heck, thanks for the reminder- I need to call LazyDays...


2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/23/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Whats your vote?
1- is it worth your trouble. to reserve online? No phone or email? Secure deposit and payment? instant confirmation?
2- Are you OK with a site lock fee?
3- Are you OK with an equal or better site we designate should the system shift your site to optimize our occupancy? If you did not designate a specific site, area or need?
4- Accessibiliy in our camp is of highest concern therefore, we have locked out certain sites for reservation for staff, or because those sites have special needs like a dang good driver . Call or email if the system tells you no availibility. Might not be true.
5- Groups can reserve differently. For adjoining sites and cabins, a reservation locks all those requested for a period until each party confirms with administrative hold.
Votes please line by line.
comments welcome
1--- I like to reserve on line in advance. However if I am in motion looking for a spot tonight I prefer to call and talk to a live person.

2--- lock fee? sounds like junk. I might pay but I am immediately not happy. Same for a resort fee. I am much more OK with a extra cancellation fee. I never cancel.

3--- NO. If I have a specific site number do not change it without asking. I may have a special reason also and I was there first.

4--- Locked out during a reservation I will probably just ignore. Or mark it as 'must call' and I will make the effort if needed.

5--- I would expect this to be call in only if there are special requirements. On line is for simple and direct reservation and payment.

Good luck.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Online res is a great service to offer.
Don't abandon the phone and email res though.
Different situations require different means for differnet folks and you don't want to limit your customer base at all IMO.
But at the same time, if you're always booked out and full during camping season, I wouldn't spend more capital to improve your current system, whatever it is, unless the efficiency and economy for you the owners is worth it.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

CFerguson

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2018

View Profile



Posted: 12/23/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tend to wander, and as such often look in the book for our next CG as the afternoon wears on. So we usually call prospective CGs directly while on the road to check on availability/booking.

I despise online booking and very rarely do it. Even when we are going to a specific place for a specific time, we call and confirm the reservations.
I know computers never screw anything up but I still don't trust them..........[emoticon]

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/23/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd rather book on-line. At our favorite destination resort I like to also lock in a camp space as we have our favorites. There's been many times my wife will start the day driving allowing me to look and book a place for the evening. I really like using the Good Sam app for that.


2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Survey for online reservation vs old school phone and email
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.