cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how subjects get brought up but this was one I would like to address here in the NW...I was talking to someone who wanted to travel off road...a bit deeper into our forests with a TC....I asked do you have saws?MMM...well I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas) and a pole saw always...well I think it is obvious why...my genny can run my Pollan if I run into a fallen tree and my pole saw can take care of low branches..just tools of the trade. Comments?
76 REPLIES 76

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I'll knock it off the rails.

Long ago, when I had hair, and it was brown. I worked for an Uncle that was a shooter on a coal mine. I greased his wagon drill and carried "stuff" and in general did as I was told. He had a fast way to clear a tree off the road, that involved prima cord and a blasting cap. Just make sure you have solid cover for you and the pickup. A stick stuck through the windshield was a "tell".

I learned to use some unusual tools from him. All the old guys, that taught me so much, are gone now.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
If any one is offended.. my apologies...I just get so frustrated with posting a well thought out topic and then to have it so twisted around is not in good faith. If you got something to say then make a thread and we will discuss it on your thread but for this to go from pole saws to where it went is ridiculous...come on we are talking personal experience and education...that is why I'm here. Nuff said.

Sadly, it's the way of the internet ... once you launch the post, it's on its own and you're most likely not going to herd it back onto the trail again ... but you can certainly try to redirect by example.

So, to add my attempt to pull this back on track - depending on where we're going, I usually carry a small gas chain saw and fuel in the truck, a bow saw and folding saw in the camper. The electric saws noted above have me thinking I need to add one of those to the tool chest.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Bedlam
This thread has been pruned to allow passage yet allows for continued growth. I will not clear cut this thread or lock people out from commenting, but please stay on the trail and do not create bypasses.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I have ever seen an internet forum use the word troll as much as it is used here..it's used too freely here IMHO without a definite meaning,and there are several..

I thought troll or trolling was throwing out your favorite spinner with a set of flashers catching fish to smoke..LOL..That's a good troll..

The op of this thread had good intentions in posting it,the answers sometimes got alittle off topic but that's the way it goes in campfire talks also..To be expected to a point..And personalities clash from time to time also..

We all carry stuff like pole saws or chainsaws and a bunch of other stuff that makes our outdoor experiences better and none of it is covered in the owners manual for the TC as is all the appliances etc that refer you to the other manuals..Laffin

We all like to use out TC's and we all love our pickups and we all should get along and follow the rules, respecting other members..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
If any one is offended.. my apologies...

No worries. I never let personal attacks offend me. 😉

You have a GREAT day and we'll see you in the forums.

Kenny
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
If any one is offended.. my apologies...I just get so frustrated with posting a well thought out topic and then to have it so twisted around is not in good faith. If you got something to say then make a thread and we will discuss it on your thread but for this to go from pole saws to where it went is ridiculous...come on we are talking personal experience and education...that is why I'm here. Nuff said.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Whooaaa nelly.. Back 'er on up there. Pretty sure you're yelling at your ally.

lol..

BTW...it's a public forum, and discussions often go south and get bombarded with really weird stuff. But this one, but for the wanna-be enviro's, has been pretty good.

Side note; anyone else notice that the naysayers who tout the green/enviro line usually do so while plugging their laptop into an outlet powered by electricity produced by a dam built with rock, cement and lumber accessed by a road constructed through the wilderness and brought to the site by something powered with fuel which came from the ground after a drilling station was set up and then.... lol
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^You got the wrong guy Kkeller. Specta is on your side.
The turds in the punchbowl are not him.
Everyone, keep calm and saw on...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
Ok specta, what do you have to give to us?(here) In this thread, tell the world. You only have 390 posts...give us more of your experiences...I would love to hear them..well? Let us debate that on your own posts.. you seem to be in opposition of my educational experiences...why would you do that? Who are you? What kind of educated person are you? I give a piece of advice and hands down experience? You knock me down?..wow more than holy are you...educate me and all of of us. Will you please tell us all about what you know about being prepared about boon docking? I am ready to hear from you and why not carrying multiple tools (SAWS) of the trade is an argument?...WOW I'm not sure. I know this ... I would not want to camp with you.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
If a bypass was already created due to fallen trees, we are instructed to block that bypass with the timber we clear from the trail. This prevents the trail/road from deviating to the bypass and looking like a valid route.

Yep, that's the way its done.
Kenny

Bedlam
If a bypass was already created due to fallen trees, we are instructed to block that bypass with the timber we clear from the trail. This prevents the trail/road from deviating to the bypass and looking like a valid route.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Clearing the path is necessary disturbance, but again, the way I have seen it in CA parks, they make it minimal.
Meaning cut section of the tree is put on the shoulder and left there. Not sure if that would be legal to take it for firewood.
Meaning they never move whole tree,

I believe that's how its done everywhere.

If the tree was dead and you took it for your campfire rather than collecting it to take home I doubt that any of the agencies here in Utah would care.
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Clearing the path is necessary disturbance, but again, the way I have seen it in CA parks, they make it minimal.
Meaning cut section of the tree is put on the shoulder and left there. Not sure if that would be legal to take it for firewood.
Meaning they never move whole tree,

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
specta wrote:
I missed the post where someone thought it was wrong to remove a fallen tree from a road.

That definitely depends on the location.
Even we usually stay at campgrounds, we are good hikers and do 5 miles hikes in parks.
State and Federal parks generally don't allow any disturbance.
Whenever a tree falls on the trail, rangers will cut passage and leave the tree on shoulders they way it has fallen.

Clearing a path/trail/road is not disturbance.

What other way is there??? Why would anyone move the section of tree that isn't on the trail/road once the part blocking the trail/road was removed? And where would they move it to?

Maybe I missed what you're trying to say.
Kenny