Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Essential tools to carry; pole saw.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

KKELLER14K wrote:

I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas)
Get a battery-operated one.

I love mine. I bought it to carry on my ATV and I didn't want all the mess of a gas and I didn't want to have to carry extra fuel for them. A spare battery works great.

I've had a couple of friends smirk at mine until they got to use it.

I see that now they are making 80v chainsaws. They must be awesome.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

At what point does it end. Your rig will not fit where you feel you have a right to go. So you cut a tree. If you are on your property, I have no issue. On my property? No! Public property? If you can use a power saw to move trees, what is my limit on smoothing the trail? A shovel? A pick? Blasting?

Why can't people keep their opinions to themselves?

Although, I somewhat agree with you, I don't give a s..t what you think.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I see that now they are making 80v chainsaws. They must be awesome.
I bet. My 18v one works great. Used it to get into a CG which thought having low-hanging branches at its entrance was a good idea.

I also have a 110v (yes, 110v) lawnmower. That thing cuts every bit as good as gas, with no mess and a lot less noise.

* This post was edited 12/23/19 09:58am by 2oldman *

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really sure why some of the posts about cutting a tree off a forest service road are getting taken out of context.

Cutting the tree out making the road passable again is better than blazing a trail around the downed tree, which causes resource damage.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel by myself mostly. I'm not going to be out there bucking up logs in the middle of nowhere. If I run across a down tree on a road I'll either try to pull it out of the way with my van or just stop there.

I do carry long handled clippers. I was trimming some tiny oak twigs that were brushing the roof of my van the other day. The whole time, this squirrel was up in the tree above me yelling, "You're RUINING IT. You're RUINING MY TREE!" God knows what would happen if I pulled out a pole saw.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

I do carry long handled clippers. I was trimming some tiny oak twigs that were brushing the roof of my van the other day.

I have trimmed similar branches too, either low hanging ones, or some that are encroaching in to the driving area of a pull through campsite. There's one state park that I've been going to since 2000. I get the same campsite every year. About every 3rd year I trim branches in it that the park people fail to maintain.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

Quote:

At what point does it end. Your rig will not fit where you feel you have a right to go. So you cut a tree. If you are on your property, I have no issue. On my property? No! Public property? If you can use a power saw to move trees, what is my limit on smoothing the trail? A shovel? A pick? Blasting?

Why can't people keep their opinions to themselves?

Although, I somewhat agree with you, I don't give a s..t what you think.

ryoung

^1000%
Best thing is hearing the busy bodies talk about how a pole saw and a Duracell powered chainsaw is going to desicrate a forest!
Must be a whole lot more ambitious than me, or never used a saw! Lol.
Good luck doing any logging with a pole saw and a Fisher Price chainsaw!

Personally, I don't carry either, but we do t get out much and our big camper ain't going anywhere that needs logged off to access it. But have been in a couple spots where I needed to toss a rope over a branch and persuade it out of the way to keep from scratching the camper. And a power saw would be more convienent than draggin a downed tree out of the road or cutting firewood with an axe and hand saw.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

About every 3rd year I trim branches in it that the park people fail to maintain.
There's a CG on highway 12 out of Nachez I like. One year there was this big snag of a branch hanging right over the roadway. I asked the hosts to trim it, but they said they couldn't..they'd have to get the OK from "headquarters", but, they would look the other way if I did it.

I'm pretty much an environmentalist, but sometimes the Forest service gets a bit over the top with their rules.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kkeller, pole saw is a good idea. Don't let the grinches ruin your Xmas or next camping trip!
Side note, I had to buy a climbing saw for work a couple years ago. Those little saws are awesome! Took it on one camper trip to the mountians. Wow, firewood made easier!
If I got serious about camping back country, one of those would be on the must have list!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp different then most... My truck camper never leaves the house without one of my many Stihl chainsaws... When I am not taking the UTV trailer, my baby Stihl MS 170 goes with me for firewood and things that get in the way....

I new a guy that went back on an older logging road and a tree fell over the road after he went through. He didn't have an axe or a saw an he had to walk out for help.. That kind of stuff happens all the time around here in the mountains.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.