Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Essential tools to carry; pole saw.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny how subjects get brought up but this was one I would like to address here in the NW...I was talking to someone who wanted to travel off road...a bit deeper into our forests with a TC....I asked do you have saws?MMM...well I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas) and a pole saw always...well I think it is obvious why...my genny can run my Pollan if I run into a fallen tree and my pole saw can take care of low branches..just tools of the trade. Comments?

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It makes sense as long as laws where you’re cutting these branches allows for it.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At what point does it end. Your rig will not fit where you feel you have a right to go. So you cut a tree. If you are on your property, I have no issue. On my property? No! Public property? If you can use a power saw to move trees, what is my limit on smoothing the trail? A shovel? A pick? Blasting?

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

At what point does it end. Your rig will not fit where you feel you have a right to go. So you cut a tree. If you are on your property, I have no issue. On my property? No! Public property? If you can use a power saw to move trees, what is my limit on smoothing the trail? A shovel? A pick? Blasting?

Exactly. Pole saw? Where do you stow one? On the roof?

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Funny how subjects get brought up but this was one I would like to address here in the NW...I was talking to someone who wanted to travel off road...a bit deeper into our forests with a TC....I asked do you have saws?MMM...well I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas) and a pole saw always...well I think it is obvious why...my genny can run my Pollan if I run into a fallen tree and my pole saw can take care of low branches..just tools of the trade. Comments?

I’ve been boondocking in the national forest for years along forest service roads. I always have a chain saw and a set of long handle pruning shears.

Pine bark beetles have killed off lotsa trees and deadfall has become more of a problem. I’ve had to trim branches from leaning dead trees to avoid damage to roof or sides. I’ve also had to chain saw deadfall trees off of a forest service road. More than once [emoticon]

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So much for "leave no trace". I can understand clearing an established trail of a fallen tree but not creating a new one .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wrote:

It makes sense as long as laws where you’re cutting these branches allows for it.

Hmmm... never have heard of laws disallowing a person from pruning a tree while trying to get to a camp site.

I carry a pole saw in my cargo trailer.

I also carry a pair of handheld pruning shears. I've climbed up on my roof and use them to trim small branches at established campgrounds. All too often, the park maintenance crews don't trim the trees to keep them from dragging along the roof of RVs.

I have a gas powered chainsaw, but it's been a long time since I've taken it camping.

I can see the benefit of an electric chain saw - very little noise.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I carry a 40v chainsaw with me everywhere I go when camping. I use it to clear existing roads.

Back in the 70's and early 80's my friends and I used to make new roads thru the forest just by exploring in out 4wd trucks, back then it was OK to do that but not anymore.

Then Clinton had Congress pass The Roadless Rule Act in 2001 that made it illegal to go off existing roads and trails.

If caught by a US Forest Service Ranger doing so he can confiscate your vehicle and you will never see it again.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people have a need to be ready for anything.
I made a living out the bush for decades. I have carried lots of logging equipment but not for building roads.
Nobody cares if you prune a few limbs.
In the last 50 years of being out there, I have run into "Forest Rangers" maybe twice.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

I carry an electric chain saw; long extension cord (no gas)
Get a battery-operated one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.