Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I have zero desire or need for a dually or a truck that's takes a football field to turn around in..

That's misinformation.
It is not dually wheels that make big turning circle.
It is Crew Cab requiring longer wheelbase.
That's why I custom-order Supercab, who is full feet shorter wheelbase.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

specta wrote:

I have zero desire or need for a dually or a truck that takes a football field to turn around in..

That's misinformation.
It is not dually wheels that make big turning circle.
It is Crew Cab requiring longer wheelbase.
That's why I custom-order Supercab, who is full feet shorter wheelbase.

Its not misinformation at all. That's why I said "or a truck that takes a football field to turn around in".

My truck curb to curb 45 ft. Extended cab long bed 52 ft. 4-door long bed 55 ft.

I have no interest in ever owning an extended cab let a lone a 4-door pickup.

And I have no use or need for a dually.

My truck fits my needs to a tee.

I would also think that the loner the wheelbase the further back the weight will be.

If the weight is sitting further back from the front axle why would it add more weight to the front axle??

* This post was edited 01/15/20 06:01pm by specta *

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you should highlighty the "OR" to make it clear what you are talking about.
All bedded trucks have the same rear axle to end of the bed dimension till 550/5500 series, who I have never seen with bed.
Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine cantilever will be bigger.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Maybe you should highlighty the "OR" to make it clear what you are talking about.
All bedded trucks have the same rear axle to end of the bed dimension till 550/5500 series, who I have never seen with bed.
Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine will be bigger.

Maybe you should read it little more closely. Or means or regardless if it highlighted, bold or all capital letters.

I'm hoping burningman will enlighten me on how the weight of the camper being further away from the front axle will add more weight to the front axle.

I'm confused. [emoticon]

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All that, and nobody pointed out that on the off chance the OP were ever pulled over and weighed in the United States, or on the off chance that he was in an accident, the law and lawyers would only concern themselves with his REGISTERED weight, which can exceed the GVWR by thousands of pounds. I don't know what the states use for criteria on the limits, but from what I am finding it's pretty much whatever you want to pay for, possibly up to 32,000lbs, 20,000 for the dually axle and 12,000 for the single axle.

Obviously you're pushing things if you exceed the combined weight ratings of all your tires in all positions (except the spare, duh). The combined GAWRs seem to be a common choice. Large trucks are rated by their combined GAWRs, yet pickup trucks have a factory GVWR that's often thousands of pounds below the combined GAWRs.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Maybe you should read it little more closely. Or means or regardless if it highlighted, bold or all capital letters.

Wrong.
"Or" in English has 2 meanings LINK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine cantilever will be bigger.

What’s funny is not more than a month or so ago, you actually argued with me that in fact the rear axle to end of truck bed was different on different trucks and how much an affect it has on hauling campers.
While you’re correct in that there are slight differences based on brand and model of truck, have you changed you stance on whether they’re the “same” now and that they have a significant difference in hauling characteristics?
Appears so.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Meaning regardless the standard, or crewcab, the COG of camper comparing to rear axle will be the same. Only on longer wheelbase the engine will be bigger.

Here you go, a 5500 with a bed. It turns tighter than my 2008 GMC 3500 dually
[image]

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

specta wrote:

Wrong.
"Or" in English has 2 meanings LINK

I can't help that you took it out of context.

"READ" it more carefully next time.

"Or means or regardless if it highlighted, bold or all capital letters.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

What’s funny is not more than a month or so ago, you actually argued with me that in fact the rear axle to end of truck bed was different on different trucks and how much an affect it has on hauling campers.....

In the past you come with the story that short beds and long beds have the same overhangs.
Here we are comparing standard cab overhang to crew cab overhang.
Sorry pal, if you don't understand different scenario.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.