Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
GAR2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Easy bud, no reason to get defensive....I actually thought I was being conscientious of your opinion.
But then I re read your first post and realize I missed the fact that you have a dually and you're pining over whether it's good for the camper you described.
I now understand you've never had a Truck Camper and realize you likely don't have much experience hauling heavy stuff, but? You're concerned about a 4klb camper on a super duty dually ? You've got one of the biggest most capable pickups made. Honestly, it's 100% ok.
Merry Xmas!

Grit dog, Then I misunderstood the intent of your reply, and apologize. I am on several forums and belong to several state organizations where members get together during scheduled events....some endeavors I went into with little to no experience. I’m not embarrassed to admit when I don’t know something or lack experience and always found it served me well to make a statement pertaining to such, and those who wanted to offer their assistance or advice usually did. Anyway...... thank you and Merry Christmas to you as well, and to the RV.net community!

In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

GAR2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My plan to weigh truck last night went to heck, but I did talk to the farmer where I deer hunt (dropping off their Christmas gift). He didn’t know about RV,s but he said the state police / County has been getting bad about pulling guys over in pickups pulling trailers that they suspect are overloaded. He also said his Dad got pulled over a couple times last year with their farm trucks for not having the State inspection sticker on them (you’ve gotta love Illinois.....Not!)

One question as I work through this: I found the specs. on-line and the 10.0 Livin Lite will hang out almost 3’ past the back of my 8’ truck bed which means I’m also looking at a super truss hitch or building the equivalent for my Dyna Trak 18’ fish n ski / 3500# gvw trailer. Q. Do I need to also figure in my tongue weight as part of my gvw also or does that fall under gross combined weight rating (truck/trailer) Probably only 350-400 lbs though.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GAR2 wrote:

My plan to weigh truck last night went to heck, but I did talk to the farmer where I deer hunt (dropping off their Christmas gift). He didn’t know about RV,s but he said the state police / County has been getting bad about pulling guys over in pickups pulling trailers that they suspect are overloaded. He also said his Dad got pulled over a couple times last year with their farm trucks for not having the State inspection sticker on them (you’ve gotta love Illinois.....Not!)

One question as I work through this: I found the specs. on-line and the 10.0 Livin Lite will hang out almost 3’ past the back of my 8’ truck bed which means I’m also looking at a super truss hitch or building the equivalent for my Dyna Trak 18’ fish n ski / 3500# gvw trailer. Q. Do I need to also figure in my tongue weight as part of my gvw also or does that fall under gross combined weight rating (truck/trailer) Probably only 350-400 lbs though.

Yes, tongue weight counts against your GVW. As for “legal”, none of the states use GVWR for anything legal that I’ve heard of. Many states require you to register a declared weight (your choice) which you cannot exceed and I suspect that is what those guys are getting pulled over for, if they are at all.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From a slightly different angle, I have run about 1000-1800 lbs over GVWR for over 20 years. This is on 2500 or 3/4 ton trucks registered for commercial use in WA state, I pay for 12,000 lbs and as long as I am below registered, axle, wheel and tire ratings Washington State Patrol is fine with it. I went to them with my truck to make sure I was ok and was told by several troopers that the only way they would ticket as long as I was under registered, axle, wheel and tire ratings was if it looked un safely loaded like way nose high.

ETA: I drive about 20,000 per year so about 400,000 miles.

* This post was edited 12/24/19 03:20pm by S Davis *

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 02:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^ Oh Jeebus.
Now you're trying to wind up Sidecar and Kayteg!

He is out chasing the illusive 'whitetail' so will be out of commission for a few days, so you will most likely skate by.

I won't tell him he does not have enough truck for his TC......lol
Oh, his truck looks like it did when it was new as do all his toys and tractors......

Lakeside

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don’t tell his wife that he’s out chasing white “tail” over Christmas ! She probably thinks he’s hunting.....lol

Merry Christmas kids!!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In florida you can buy your plate for the weight of the truck plus what you want to carry. Before I had the TC I registered it for about 1000 lbs over the weight of the truck once I started hauling the TC I increased it to the max rated weight which increased the cost about 55.00.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you'll be fine, but in the long run it'sup to you. This rig was 1,800lbs over sticker and it didn't care either.

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are worrying over nothing. I carried my camper on a truck with 9,900 lb GVWR, the whole rig weighed 11,400 loaded to camp. Then I hauled it on a dually rated 11,400 GVWR, the whole rig weighed about 13,100 when I had my 20' boat in tow. I drive both rigs for years for thousands of miles thru multiple state with no mechanical problems. I had the dually tagged for 14,000 pounds.
GVWR is not a legal number, tire and axle weights are. If any farmboys are gettung tiketed it's probably because they were over tag weight or the were over 26,000 lbs with no CDL; farming is a commercial enterprise after all.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starting at the scale is the best thing to do. Just remember the posted weights on campers can be way off and by way off I mean several hundred pounds. Only you can decided what overloaded is for your truck. Illinois will ticket you for not having that safety sticker if you have a D plate. They may also ticket you if you go over 12k IF they have some reason to weigh you. Since we both are in Illinois we know they are desperate for money. If you are really concerned about insurance talk to your agent. Ask as many questions as you want there are plenty of people here happy to answer or should I say give opinions on them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Really Disappointing (T/C Weight)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.