cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trik-l-start

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
This is a device that takes power from the deep cycle batteries and gives it to the starter battery.
when you are plugged into shore power for months it puts power to the starter battery.
they seem to have gone out of business. emails are not answered.
is there a replacement?
do modern RVs do this starter battery charging themselves now?
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
20 REPLIES 20

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Tom N wrote:
The trik-l-start does not take power from your deep cycle house batteries and give it to your starting battery. Technically, it takes power from your charger/converter and charges your starting battery. The starting and house batteries are completely isolated.

Trik L Start does take power from your house batteries - it just won't take power from those batteries unless your converter is operating.

Here's a Trik L Start FAQ that may help.

So my cunning 12v plug to 12v plug described earlier, is superior! It doesn't need the converter. It also works with solar keeping the house batteries up. (Where you don't have solar to engine battery in the set-up)

I also have those USB to 12v cig lighter plugs, but not sure if they can be used. Needs a male to male USB cable if there is such a thing. I have one that has two USB slots: 1A and 2.1A. Two of those gizmos and some USB cable that somehow gets you male to male ends would do the same as what my cunning plug to plug does.

Your "cunning" 12V (cig) plug to (cig)plug may not work on NEWER RVs or vehicles with BCM (Body Control Module) Cig plug outlets. Many newer vehicles no longer have a 100% hot power port 24/7 and the BCM will turn the port off after 10 or 15 minutes after key is off. In the case of BCM controlled power ports, backfeeding the power port does have potential for damaging the BCM since the output of the BCM is FET transistors and not relays.

Best way is something hardwired like Trik L start (12V DC-12V DC) or a battery Tender type of device (120AC to 12V DC). Being cheap may cost you more in the end if you are not careful.

There are plenty of 3 stage battery tender type of devices out there that work fine, I bought a 5A charge off brand one from Amazon for $35 for my home generator starting battery, so far has done a great job of keeping the gen battery ready to go into action. Paying $35 for a Battery Tender brand that has .5A charge to me didn't make sense..

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The Trik-L-Start only charges the engine battery when the house battery charge is higher and prevents discharging the engine battery back to the house battery. A direct battery to battery connection such as via the cig plugs could allow the house system to pull the engine battery down below it's useful limits if not carefully monitored. Not recommended...

Yes, only to be used if there is 120v to the converter or if there is solar to keep the house batteries up.

However, if all the trik-l-start needs is for the house batteries to be higher in voltage, then why does it need the converter if solar can keep them up (during daylight)?

The Trik-L-Start doesn't care how the house battery is being charged, only that it is.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Tom N wrote:
The trik-l-start does not take power from your deep cycle house batteries and give it to your starting battery. Technically, it takes power from your charger/converter and charges your starting battery. The starting and house batteries are completely isolated.

Quote from LSL website: Connects between your house and starting batteries - No extension cords or AC wiring needed.

True, but your diagram does not show the charger/converter connected to the house batteries. Without the charger/converter connected to the house batteries the engine battery will not charge. The trik-l-charger supplies a charge from the charger/inverter to the engine/starting batteries. The engine/starting battery is normally only charged by the engine alternator. Again the house batteries does not supply power or charge the starting engine battery.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The Trik-L-Start only charges the engine battery when the house battery charge is higher and prevents discharging the engine battery back to the house battery. A direct battery to battery connection such as via the cig plugs could allow the house system to pull the engine battery down below it's useful limits if not carefully monitored. Not recommended...

Yes, only to be used if there is 120v to the converter or if there is solar to keep the house batteries up.

However, if all the trik-l-start needs is for the house batteries to be higher in voltage, then why does it need the converter if solar can keep them up (during daylight)?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksg5000 wrote:
Tom N wrote:

Trik L Start does take power from your house batteries - it just won't take power from those batteries unless your converter is operating.

So my cunning 12v plug to 12v plug described earlier, is superior! It doesn't need the converter. It also works with solar keeping the house batteries up. (Where you don't have solar to engine battery in the set-up)

I also have those USB to 12v cig lighter plugs, but not sure if they can be used. Needs a male to male USB cable if there is such a thing. I have one that has two USB slots: 1A and 2.1A. Two of those gizmos and some USB cable that somehow gets you male to male ends would do the same as what my cunning plug to plug does.
Photo in Profile

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:

Kevin

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:

that is very interesting. the wires only go to and from the batteries.
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Love my trik-l-start

X2!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
anon125 wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Looks like amsolar is still in business and they sell trik-l-start.

they have them
now i need to find them in canada. in amazon.ca they are $111 !!
thanks

This would do the job. Coming on sale in their latest flyer around $38, so wait for that price.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-precision-series-1-5a-battery-charger-maint...

I use their earlier 2a one that comes with a 12v plug as well as the clamp set. I stick the plug into the dash cig lighter and have the 120v plug into a MH receptacle with shore power on.

With only clamps you would tuck this under the hood while parked and run an extension cord to the 120v outside receptacle.

I also made up a 12v cord with a 12v plug at each end. (you have to watch your polarities!) If no shore power but lots of solar (to the house batts) for a long time parked, I can use that going from the 12v socket on the TV panel (on house batts) to the dash lighter socket (on engine battery)
Photo in Profile

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom N wrote:

Quote from LSL website: Connects between your house and starting batteries - No extension cords or AC wiring needed.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Looks like amsolar is still in business and they sell trik-l-start.

they have them
now i need to find them in canada. in amazon.ca they are $111 !!
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r