cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard tonneau covers and 5er hitch

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I have a new Ram 3500 short bed with a Curt A20 slider to tow our new fifth wheel. I am looking at the tri-fold style hard tonneau cover. My question is can the cover be left on the truck in the folded position while towing or do I need to completely remove the cover?
Mr. B
Reading, OH
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman SRW Diesel
14 REPLIES 14

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Fisher Bill wrote:
My long bed has a 4 piece unit that folds up and snaps at the front of the bed and we have no problems with it being present

Exact same experience.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
My long bad has a 4 piece unit that folds up and snaps at the front of the bed and we have no problems with it being present
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I have an Extang tri-fold on an eight foot bed and have no problems towing when folded. There are clips that hold it in the open position.

Same here. XTang Solid fold cover on an 8' bed. I always cleared my hitch and pin box and also clear gooseneck hitches with no issues.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
I have the Backflip Fibermax, 4 section. Fold it 3/4 of the way, lots of clearance with the standard pinbox. When I switched to a TrailAir pinbox I had to move the tonneau cover forward a little to clear the shock absorber.
JK

I have a TrailAir pin box as well. That may be an issue. Thanks for the info.
Mr. B
Reading, OH

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies folks. Iโ€™ll keep you posted on my decision.
Mr. B
Reading, OH

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Not a hard-too, but Iโ€™ve used a TonnoPro trifold for years on my 2013 Chevy SB. Works great, leave folded in front when traveling and flop it back over the hitch when 5ers disconnected.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Bakflip G2. I haven't had any problems. I do use the straps and buckle it.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Backflip Fibermax, 4 section. Fold it 3/4 of the way, lots of clearance with the standard pinbox. When I switched to a TrailAir pinbox I had to move the tonneau cover forward a little to clear the shock absorber.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had one issue. If you are backing the 5er at an angle up a grade and the truck stays on more level ground, the nose of the trailer can get real close. Doesn't happen often but something to keep an eye on. Basically with mine, it takes up about 2 inches of space when folded. So you no longer have the 6 inches recommended above the bed rail.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jvharal
Explorer
Explorer
Extang tri-fold no problems in two years
James, Virginia and Jackson (terrier mix)
2016 Ford F350 4x4 Dually
2015 Open Range 3X349 RLS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Extang tri-fold on an eight foot bed and have no problems towing when folded. There are clips that hold it in the open position. I would verify that your hitch pin placement is further rearward than one third of your bed length so that you pin box doesn't interfere with the cover. When my cover is folded, the stacked panels add about 2" of height over the bed rails. Not a problem towing but things can get a little close when backing tight up a hill. I still love the cover after five towing seasons with it.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As long as the top of the hitch is below the top of the bed rails you should have no problem. My Pace Edwards hard roll type cover easily clears my hitch.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Bak Flip G2 that I am able to fold back and use with my hitch while towing. I have not experienced any wind issues.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had one, as a follow up to the soft roll up that came with the truck. The roll up was not a success with the hitch. The trifold was better but you still need to firmly tie down the cover in front of the hitch. The fiver generates a horizontal tornado in between the truck and truck bed and that tends to slam the bed cover around. So keep that in mind.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper