Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is dash cam evidence allowed in an investigation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is dash cam evidence allowed in an investigation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big question about dash cams and the legality of using them in court. Has anyone actually used the recorded video proof in an accident investigation???? It seems some people are saying dash cams are illegal in some states or their use in an investigation or litigation is not allowed as evidence!!! Is this true??? It seems logical since many times during a law suit incriminating evidence is not allowed. What are some opinions on this from those who have experienced an accident.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The South Carolina State Trooper had no problem charging the other driver once I pulled my trump card of a dash cam video. Little hard to refute.
I would caution that you keep date and time up to date on the camera. Some lose that when powered down for too long.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 you know what the old saying is,, a pic is worth a thousand words.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard that in some cases, the police ask folks for any pics/video of accidents or crimes. That being said, the company I drive for has them and yes it has shown when either we or others are at fault. In 1 case (and this get's my goat), the dash cam clearly shows a accident wasn't our fault.......yet we got sued. Do believe this particular case was settled or in other words we paid the other party off just to be done with it. So in this case, why have the cams? IMO, I truly feel the cams (which record both forward and towards the driver) is just to see what our driver was doing at time of accident should we be involved and doing anything against company policy.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had someone hit my truck while they were being directed into their spot this summer. After sending the video from my dash cam on the motorhome (truck was parked in front) there was no question who was at fault. The other insurance accepted the video and paid within a week.
So having a video might keep you from having to go through the courts.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dash cam video of an ambulance hitting my mirror on a bridge was enough for them to pay the $860 repair. Trooper advised not to let it write over it.

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If serious enough (going to court) I would insist on the LEO taking possession of the camera (with a receipt) so the chain of evidence is maintained.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to General RVing Issues forum from 5th Wheels.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You seem to be suggesting that can someones own cam footage be compelled by the opposing party showing guilt. And that would be if the court allowed that specific request. So you are talking “self incriminating” I assume. Because court proceedings most definitely are all about incriminating evidence.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely admissible in California. Need authentication but that isn’t difficult. A subpoena would be necessary if the video belonged to someone else or a production request if it belonged to a party.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is dash cam evidence allowed in an investigation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.