cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing clothes while underway

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you with washer/dryers in their RVS, while a dryer usually needs a lot of electricity, are RV inverters usually big enough to run the washer while underway? Seems like that would be a good use of washer time if it was possible... Start the day with enough water in the tank for the wash cycle then dump when you arrive at your destination.
20 REPLIES 20

scabello
Explorer
Explorer
Do not run while underway. I used to do it ... then one day the belt broke! What a pain to go in there and swap it. Pull that heavy equipment out and open it up in the middle of the coach...

The new belt was wider — so i thought the original was a defective design. So back to using washer and dryer on the road. Then the belt slipped off! Not worth the effort to repair. Dont do it.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
When we bought our RV I read all the manuals - the washer/dryer manual said it uses a maximum of 14 gallons of water per load so we figured it would work well while we were driving. So, one day we decided to try it: put a small load in and hit the road. Everything went well - we even forgot the machine was running. That is until it started its high speed spin cycle: while it's trying to balance the load in the drum it can cause quite a vibration - we were sure we just blew a tire or something, until we remembered the washer was running!

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Those of you with washer/dryers in their RVS, while a dryer usually needs a lot of electricity, are RV inverters usually big enough to run the washer while underway?

I, like others, am uneasy about how the spinning of the washing machine would interact with the RV jostling down the road.

But to answer your question, I used a Kill-a-Watt to measure the electrical draw of my old Splendide 2000 combo unit. The most it used while washing was during the super-high spin at the end of the cycle, with the pump running (the pump runs only intermittently during spinning). That was about 400 watts.

During the regular spin cycle, it used 240 watts when the pump was also running. The pump itself uses about 100 watts.

The wash cycle, where the drum turns one way and then the other, maxed out at 150 watts.

For the full 1 hour and 15 minute cycle (one wash, three rinses), it used 0.210 kilowatt hours. That would be about 18 amp hours out of the batteries.

When washing, the Splendide is not a high-amp appliance like a microwave or hair dryer.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We like to do laundry while running down the road. If I remember correctly, we have to run back and restart the washer and/or dryer if I happen to shut the generator off and restart it for any reason.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t like leaving wet clothes in the washer longer than necessary, but to each his own. I’d wash an hour before bed, then put in dryer at bedtime.

By the way, I aspire to one day have a big Diesel pusher with 4 slides and washer/dryer, but for now, it’s just a 20 year old 17 foot hybrid trailer!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put a load in before going to bed at night. Next morning, clothes are ready to be dried and put away. Easiest way to do laundry..Mine does not go through the inverter...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
I can't imagine any issue with a sine wave inverter or running the washer in general... or the dryer for that matter. Grey tank would be my only concern.

The issue is simple. You can only run so many hi amp appliances thru an Inverter. When NOT Inverting, you have pass thru 120 power going thru your Inverter. There is a limit to how many appliances can be run thru an Inverter. That limit is the SIZE of the Pass thru Inverter 120 breaker/s AND its Transfer relay. Yes, no RV Washer/Dryer will overload a 2000 watt or larger Inverter. But why make the Inverter work that hard? Run your Genset. It needs regular running also and most RV'ers never run their Genset enough anyway. Doug

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife always did the laundry on the way home in the mh. I left with a empty grey tank and plenty of fresh water. Fired up genny when she started.
Eight years with no problems.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

js218
Explorer
Explorer
150 gallons fresh, 125 gallons gray,75 gallons black no problem doing wash rolling down the road with gen set on.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine any issue with a sine wave inverter or running the washer in general... or the dryer for that matter. Grey tank would be my only concern.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the power issues have been addressed.

What about water? Grey tank capacity?

I have had two rigs with washer / dryer. I wouldn't buy a third.

If you spend a lot of time in RV parks with full hookups laundry is not a big deal.

I found that doing laundry in the RV doubled our water consumption.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the rv washers I’ve had are not wired through the inverter. Like the AC they are shore power or generator only.
We used to run it while driving a few times in our old Winnebago. That is until it was running and I hit a rough patch of road. The washer tub somehow hit one of the electric circuit boards in the bottom of the tub area. Several hundred bucks later and the repair guy said not to run it while moving. We haven’t since. All it took was some good bumps.
Bill

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
First world problems
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our RV I read all the manuals - the washer/dryer manual said it uses a maximum of 14 gallons of water per load so we figured it would work well while we were driving. So, one day we decided to try it: put a small load in and hit the road. Everything went well - we even forgot the machine was running. That is until it started its high speed spin cycle: while it's trying to balance the load in the drum it can cause quite a vibration - we were sure we just blew a tire or something, until we remembered the washer was running!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004