Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Washing clothes while underway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Washing clothes while underway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like the power issues have been addressed.

What about water? Grey tank capacity?

I have had two rigs with washer / dryer. I wouldn't buy a third.

If you spend a lot of time in RV parks with full hookups laundry is not a big deal.

I found that doing laundry in the RV doubled our water consumption.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine any issue with a sine wave inverter or running the washer in general... or the dryer for that matter. Grey tank would be my only concern.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

150 gallons fresh, 125 gallons gray,75 gallons black no problem doing wash rolling down the road with gen set on.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife always did the laundry on the way home in the mh. I left with a empty grey tank and plenty of fresh water. Fired up genny when she started.
Eight years with no problems.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I can't imagine any issue with a sine wave inverter or running the washer in general... or the dryer for that matter. Grey tank would be my only concern.

The issue is simple. You can only run so many hi amp appliances thru an Inverter. When NOT Inverting, you have pass thru 120 power going thru your Inverter. There is a limit to how many appliances can be run thru an Inverter. That limit is the SIZE of the Pass thru Inverter 120 breaker/s AND its Transfer relay. Yes, no RV Washer/Dryer will overload a 2000 watt or larger Inverter. But why make the Inverter work that hard? Run your Genset. It needs regular running also and most RV'ers never run their Genset enough anyway. Doug

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a load in before going to bed at night. Next morning, clothes are ready to be dried and put away. Easiest way to do laundry..Mine does not go through the inverter...Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t like leaving wet clothes in the washer longer than necessary, but to each his own. I’d wash an hour before bed, then put in dryer at bedtime.

By the way, I aspire to one day have a big Diesel pusher with 4 slides and washer/dryer, but for now, it’s just a 20 year old 17 foot hybrid trailer!

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like to do laundry while running down the road. If I remember correctly, we have to run back and restart the washer and/or dryer if I happen to shut the generator off and restart it for any reason.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Those of you with washer/dryers in their RVS, while a dryer usually needs a lot of electricity, are RV inverters usually big enough to run the washer while underway?

I, like others, am uneasy about how the spinning of the washing machine would interact with the RV jostling down the road.

But to answer your question, I used a Kill-a-Watt to measure the electrical draw of my old Splendide 2000 combo unit. The most it used while washing was during the super-high spin at the end of the cycle, with the pump running (the pump runs only intermittently during spinning). That was about 400 watts.

During the regular spin cycle, it used 240 watts when the pump was also running. The pump itself uses about 100 watts.

The wash cycle, where the drum turns one way and then the other, maxed out at 150 watts.

For the full 1 hour and 15 minute cycle (one wash, three rinses), it used 0.210 kilowatt hours. That would be about 18 amp hours out of the batteries.

When washing, the Splendide is not a high-amp appliance like a microwave or hair dryer.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

When we bought our RV I read all the manuals - the washer/dryer manual said it uses a maximum of 14 gallons of water per load so we figured it would work well while we were driving. So, one day we decided to try it: put a small load in and hit the road. Everything went well - we even forgot the machine was running. That is until it started its high speed spin cycle: while it's trying to balance the load in the drum it can cause quite a vibration - we were sure we just blew a tire or something, until we remembered the washer was running!

[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Washing clothes while underway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.