cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wilson sleek install hints?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Wilson sleek cellphone signal booster and want to use it in my class c. If anyone has any ideas, or tricks for installing in a RV please don't hesitate to post them. I already know that I have to have at least a 8x8 piece of metal for the antenna to use as a ground plane for better signal reception.
Thx
Proud father of a US Marine
7 REPLIES 7

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Sleek. The antenna that comes with the unit looses almost everything it gains in the coax cable. Getting an antenna with more gain and shorter cable will give you decent results. It has made a difference with AT&T data. Every 3dBi of gain will double your signal and every 3 dBi of loss will cut your signal in half. 3dBi will double signal, 6 dBi will quadrudple the signal

Here is a good representation of antennas

Cellular antennas
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
vermilye wrote:
Pay attention to the antenna spacing requirements. The modern dual antenna systems automatically turn down the power to prevent feedback between the antennas. Too close vertically or horizontally & you will get very little gain from the system.

Getting conflicting opinions from wilson... one rep says yes to a ground plane, one says not needed, and no separation of the antenna is necessary..(neither of which I believe) but for consistency they both tried to upsell me to a different booster because this one doesn't get 4G..(even though the box states 4G & 3G compatibility). which I don't care about, seeing how this booster is just to help get a better signal. I mean after all I'm gonna be camping!

one thing to be aware of. When carries switched to 4G most of them have dropped 3G by now except in a few remote locations where they haven't yet switched to 4G. So...... If your unit does not support 4G, it may help on voice, but not on data. Been their done that. My 3G unit didn't do much for me if I was needing boost. It did help on voice, but zippo on any data connection. A newer 4G unit in the same locations got me about a -80db signal and outstanding voice and data.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Pay attention to the antenna spacing requirements. The modern dual antenna systems automatically turn down the power to prevent feedback between the antennas. Too close vertically or horizontally & you will get very little gain from the system.

Getting conflicting opinions from wilson... one rep says yes to a ground plane, one says not needed, and no separation of the antenna is necessary..(neither of which I believe) but for consistency they both tried to upsell me to a different booster because this one doesn't get 4G..(even though the box states 4G & 3G compatibility). which I don't care about, seeing how this booster is just to help get a better signal. I mean after all I'm gonna be camping!

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
many of the wilson antennas have a built in ground plane so you don't need an to make a metal plate. In general the magnet mounts require a ground plane. check the spec's on the antenna you got.

It's the stock magnetic mount shark fin looking one. And it will be mounted on the top front of the class c overhang. I figure that will allow me to route the wire into the RV thru the front roof vent. I dont have a bunk up front but have the entertainment center option, so there is plenty of space for the booster etc.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
many of the wilson antennas have a built in ground plane so you don't need an to make a metal plate. In general the magnet mounts require a ground plane. check the spec's on the antenna you got.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a magnet mount antenna? I use an old 10" stainless frying pan glued to the top of my trailer. The fry pan has a steel insert, I tried to pull the antenna off, it's got a good grip.