cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tumbler fell out of RV door handle

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never had a problem with this lock before. Is there any way to get this back in or just replace the whole handle? It's the handle tumbler not the deadbolt.

Looks like this.
9 REPLIES 9

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never one to give up on a challenge, I discovered that there is a certain position of the latch and the tumbler that if you push down on the end tab of the tumbler with the key in, it will slip into place. The latch itself seem to be the same as a standard one except there is a hole for a pushrod from the remote solenoid. I'm pretty sure I can just ignore that.

I will get a new one to replace this Baker 359. Which ones have steel innards?

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I know they're not expensive for a standard handle. This one looks exactly like a standard handle but is also a remote lock (that I never trusted). I'll have to pull it out and see if a standard handle will fit.

Steel innards? Does that mean that some brands have plastic parts?

No. Pot-metal. Junk.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I had one do that several years ago. I replaced it instead of fooling around trying to fix it.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I know they're not expensive for a standard handle. This one looks exactly like a standard handle but is also a remote lock (that I never trusted). I'll have to pull it out and see if a standard handle will fit.

Prolly not plastic, but cheap cast "pot metal" parts are a definite possibility.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the 4 little screws that loosen up inside which causes the cover plate not to hold parts in place just take a drop of loctite on the screws.

Use the blue grade... "Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces."
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Usually when they fall apart, it's due to something wearing out as opposed to just a screw that loosened up.

I'd replace it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Just change it out.Buy Buy with a steal innerds.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
For $25 I would think you might just replace the whole lock mechanism. That is what I did when I have a part break so the lock would no longer open.