cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 4Runner

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone flat towing a Toyota 4Runner 4WD? I'm looking at picking up an old 4Runner (06 or so) or a Lexus GX470. I know I can flat tow the 470 and I suspect the 4Runner is no different. Anyone towing a 4Runner 4 down?
Thanks.
(Note: I know the owners manual says no)
jor
09 LazyDaze
12 REPLIES 12

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
In order to tow any Toyota / Lexus product 4down as is, it must have a MANUAL shift transfer case with NEUTRAL position. That means it cannot have a button or switch to engage 4WD, it must be shifted manually with a shift lever. Since 2010 Toyota has made a 4Runner Off Road edition / or TRD edition that has a manual shift transfer case and can be towed 4down.

I have a 2004GX 470. It has manual Hi/Lo range selector with a neutral position but the 2WD/4WD is electronic. I choose not to tow it 4 wheels down.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
My recollection is that the transfer case lube pump is on the input shaft which makes it not suitable for towing regardless of it having a manual neutral. I tow a 2000 4Runner and use a driveshaft disconnect.

Incorrect, the transfer case will lubricate from splash lube being circulated by the output shaft gears and chain. I personally know of 4 late model 4Runner TRD Edition vehicles that are being used as toads, all with several thousand towing miles.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
My recollection is that the transfer case lube pump is on the input shaft which makes it not suitable for towing regardless of it having a manual neutral. I tow a 2000 4Runner and use a driveshaft disconnect.

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
In order to tow any Toyota / Lexus product 4down as is, it must have a MANUAL shift transfer case with NEUTRAL position.

Yes, that is exactly what I have discovered. I think when Toyota and Lexus owner manuals indicate they cannot be towed, it is the lawyers talking not the engineers. Thanks.
jor
09 LazyDaze

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
In order to tow any Toyota / Lexus product 4down as is, it must have a MANUAL shift transfer case with NEUTRAL position. That means it cannot have a button or switch to engage 4WD, it must be shifted manually with a shift lever. Since 2010 Toyota has made a 4Runner Off Road edition / or TRD edition that has a manual shift transfer case and can be towed 4down.

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
OP here: Toyota says no of course, however, after reviewing lots of posts on this and communicating with those that have been doing so for years and many thousands of miles, I am comfortable towing either with one caveat. The vehicle must have a transfer case with a Neutral position. The 4Runner I had in mind has the electronic selector and won't work. All the early Lexus 470s, however, have the right setup so I'm likely buying an 04 GX470 and will rig it to tow. Both Remco and Roadmaster sell the baseplate. I already have a Roadmaster tow bar that I've used on three other toads so I'm good to go. Thanks to all.
jor
09 LazyDaze

Y-Guy
joraz wrote:
Anyone flat towing a Toyota 4Runner 4WD? I'm looking at picking up an old 4Runner (06 or so) or a Lexus GX470. I know I can flat tow the 470 and I suspect the 4Runner is no different. Anyone towing a 4Runner 4 down?
Thanks.
jor

If you want to do this, check out Remco Towing you input the information and it will give you options, such as a Lube Pump, from Remco. Without a Lube Pump you will probably trash your transmission. But it will set you back around $2,000 too. Good luck.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If the owners manual says no, I would just ignore the advise of highly qualified Toyota engineers and go ahead and tow it. Your car, your money if things go wrong.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota says no. It might work with a drive shaft disconnect. Have you tried asking on a Toyota forum?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Doing what others do can can cost you lots of money...or a 4Runner.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not really sure what you are asking.

I'm asking if any members are towing one of these.
jor
09 LazyDaze

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
joraz wrote:

So, you're looking for an internet engineer to tell you the ones at Toyota are wrong?

You may be able to modify the vehicle to make it okay but otherwise I'm not really sure what you are asking.