cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Near Brownsville, Texas

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We heard that a couple was murdered near Brownsville by some people who wanted their truck. Does anyone know if this is an ongoing problem etc.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
17 REPLIES 17

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
For those wondering what we mean by "warm and cheap", the highs for the next seven days in the RGV are: 78, 80, 83, 85, 84, 84, and 75. That is one week before the usually coldest week of the year.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
joebedford wrote:
"warm and cheap" works for me.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. Plus it's in Texas. Florida is good too, but it's awfully popular. I'm not a fan of crowds.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I can't for the life of me see the attraction to the RGV area....

B.O.
. We can afford to spend the Winter pretty much anywhere we want. Maybe not Key West, yet we have chosen to spend the past 17 Winters in the Rio Grande Valley. I could write pages of what we love about the Valley.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I would add warm,cheap, and "friendly". Not Disney World, but my monthly rent is about the same as one day with Mickey. BTDT. Today, it was 75 degrees in the RGV, about the same as Orlando.

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
Whats not to like with warm weather and cheap parks? We've been staying in the RGV for 11 years now without any incident. Just about all of the large Wal Marts have security in the parking lots and I am glad to see it. Bars in the windows are common in many cities depending on the neighborhood.

Too many people have the mistaken idea that this is a bad area.I hear sirens every night, but then, I hear sirens just about everywhere we travel to. We like it down here and will continue to come down here and save money on the RV parks,medicines, dental care, eyeglasses, fruit and vegetables and many other items that we all need.
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
"warm and cheap" works for me.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't for the life of me see the attraction to the RGV area. Went there once for a month. It was warm and it was cheap. That's all. No reason to ever go back. WalMart in Edinburg had a full time roaming security guard driving around the parking lot all day in an old cop car. Many homes had bars on the windows and doors. Loved the portable camera towers that would be moved around to various parking lots to monitor the area. No thank you, there are too many nice places to go to.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I try to avoid staying anywhere near the Mexican border. I've been staying in Tucson for the past 3+ years without incident. However, a visit to Albuquerque last spring led to my vehicle and many possessions being stolen so, as someone stated earlier, isolated incidences can happen anywhere, regardless of where you are in the country.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Pawatt wrote:
in reply to Ivylog
Really, I thought those were Tiny Jails just like the Tiny houses.

Sure! Let's take those bars down and let'em all in! I spent a year teaching in a state penitentiary, and the sound of the steel gate closing behind me as I entered was entirely different from the sound that same gate made as I left to go home each evening. Ivylog's post is quite accurate; Pawatt's post is just sarcasm.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
If you want to know the safety of an area, go to Google street view you can see if homes have bars on their windows. Thatโ€™s all I need to know a area.

Really, I thought those were Tiny Jails just like the Tiny houses.
pawatt

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to know the safety of an area, go to Google street view you can see if homes have bars on their windows. Thatโ€™s all I need to know a area.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I think the people, I know that you can't blame the victim, were parked in a rather isolated place along the beach. Far from Brownsville, or the border. Bad people can be anywhere.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not unusual in Southern Califonria. Keep your doors locked and be ready to acellerate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
An isolated incident. Bad things can happen anywhere.