cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we can start this now that Christmas is over...

Post your best and worse memory of camping in 2019.

Best: Prince Edward Island. Beautiful scenery, nice people, great seafood, excellent french fries.

Worse: Driving home from PEI in a hurricane. We left early because we wanted to be off the bridge before they closed it, but we still hit about an hour of high winds and heavy rains in New Brunswick.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
29 REPLIES 29

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Best was going to Lynchburg TN to the Jack Daniel's BBQ competition the last week of OCT. Weather was awful but the Q was fantastic. One of my favorite campgrounds is Tims Ford State Park where we stay when we visit uncle Jack D. The best distillery tour you can find.

Worst was the trip home from Fl on 1/1/19. We went through ATL on the 2nd and I had forgotten that they hosted a Bowl game..lol, I don't follow football. Took nearly 3 hours to get through ATL and the traffic was the worst I have ever experienced anywhere.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I only got the camper out 3 times this year.

Best was Halloween trip to Cozy Hills campground in Connecticut... the campers there do an amazing job with a "haunted house".

Middle was a trip to upstate New York for a weekend of barbeque, games, and hanging out with friends. Great time.

Worst was probably the trip to Reading, Pennsylvania for the WWII weekend. The trip was actually great, and we had a fantastic time, but... we used the camper only as a place to sleep. Next year we will probably just get a hotel room (GASP!!) to save time, effort, and fuel expense.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The worst trip was a month long trip to Florida in January. 2 FL state campgrounds cancelled on us, one a tragedy and the other a fool with a backhoe.
The other couple that traveled with us was supposed to bring a toad but showed up without it and we had to drag them everywhere we went. The gal is great, the guy not so much.
The best trip was a quiet Myrtle Beach trip in the fall just the 2 of us.
Puma 30RKSS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My best memory is when I was camping at Gull Point in Okoboji Iowa. It is near the Arnold's Park Amusement Park. They have free bands on a outside stage on Saturday night and I had a designated driver take me to a few of them. My favorite was one called Thunderstruck, they are a AC/DC Tribute band.

My worst memory is when the girlfriends grand kids came along. There just fine and I enjoy spending time with them. The problem was this one time they wanted to play in the water hydrant and I said it was fine with me. When the girlfriend came out of the camper and saw them covered with mud she got all mad and them and me. I said "There kids let them have fun" . But, she is kinda a clean freak and insisted on giving them baths right away. I would have just tossed them in the lake, told them to change into dry clothes, and have been done with it.Next year I may just take the grand kids and leave the girlfriend at home. lol

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Our best trip this year was spending 2 weeks in Gulf Shores Alabama. The weather was great and walking on the beaches was really good. We got to see my wifes aunt who lives in Pensecola and a couple of friends that live in Orlando. Even our tow vechile ran great.
Worst rip trying to back a new fifth wheel into a to small spot, we left and found another campground that we actually liked better.
scott

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
All too common this past year on ALL the Great Lakes. Campsites that used to be 100 feet from the water are now flooded regularly. Michigan state parks are closing some waterfront sites for 2020 in some parks. In others, the beaches have all but disappeared. Lakeside homes are falling into the water as the bluffs they sit upon are washed away.

The good news is that we have probably reached the high point of the cycle, and hopefully should see some relief in the next year or two. A lot will depend on ice cover (prevents evaporation) and snow pack (adds water).

yup, besides the high water levels, we were kayaking at Gananoque noticed some of the small Island homes were partly submerged in water, some of the homes looked like a total loss. Not sure how much truth to this is but some of the locals told us the high water problems is because Montreal is not allowing enough water flow down the Saint Lawrence River.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd have to say that our best of the year was our trip to the hill country in Texas.
Links SP, Texas

and the wild flowers in bloom

There was no worst trip, but maybe the campsite at Hocking Hills SP. So crowded and tight. The park was nice and very interesting things to see.
Oh well.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Unfortunately I think I only made it out camping two times this year.
So of the two the best was Dos Picos County Park in Ramona Ca. My friend and her sons wanted to camp with me and my boys so we setup a fairly local trip.

The worst and one of the main reasons I did not camp is that the transmission went out on my 1996 Suburban which sidelined my 27 ft trailer. I finally have a replacement Suburban and hope to make up for a slow year and be out a lot this coming year.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Sango
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m sure this didnโ€™t make their day. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt.

Texas TV cameraman captures dramatic video of tractor-trailer crash

Click

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
2018 3500 Dodge Laramie DRW 4 X 4
2019 Bigoot 25C10.4
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
not so best, the next day as heavy winds and high water levels flooded out our campsite

All too common this past year on ALL the Great Lakes. Campsites that used to be 100 feet from the water are now flooded regularly. Michigan state parks are closing some waterfront sites for 2020 in some parks. In others, the beaches have all but disappeared. Lakeside homes are falling into the water as the bluffs they sit upon are washed away.

The good news is that we have probably reached the high point of the cycle, and hopefully should see some relief in the next year or two. A lot will depend on ice cover (prevents evaporation) and snow pack (adds water).
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In September, we checked a lot of things off our Bucket Lists did a swoop through the SW states and visited Nat'l Parks, drove some of Rte 66, etc. Weirdest stops: Ed wanted to see Cadillac Ranch (buried cars) and I paid my respects at a memorial for 3 Storm Chasers in El Reno. Best: Bryce Canyon in the morning sunlight. Seeing California Condors at Marble Canyon. Worst? Nothing - it was a great trip!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
not so best, the next day as heavy winds and high water levels flooded out our campsite
We went through a similar thing (but not the campsite) on Lake Erie at Maumee Bay State Park. A nor'easter blew the water up throughout the park. On the way there the water was across the highway in a few spots.

Where were you camping on Lake Ontario? Looks beautiful!

Thanks! Association Island KOA Henderson Harbor, NY. I booked the same site again for next summer as I'm betting on the law of averages it will not happen on our next stay! :C

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
We went through a similar thing (but not the campsite) on Lake Erie at Maumee Bay State Park. A nor'easter blew the water up throughout the park. On the way there the water was across the highway in a few spots.

Where were you camping on Lake Ontario? Looks beautiful!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Best, Enjoying a beautiful Sunset at our campsite on Lake Ontario

Best, take 2

DW & I playing with our Kayaks at Algonquin Provincial Park,Ontario

Not so best take 2

2 separate camping trips where DW come down with poison ivy and hives from a reaction to an antibiotic she was on.

Best take 3, us finally getting to meet up with a long time forum member who has been through a serious illness.

Mike