Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Beware Gift Card Scam
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Beware Gift Card Scam

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't really understand how it works but we were scammed.

I received an Apple gift card for Christmas. When I tried to use it I got the message that it had not been properly activated.
I went to the drug store and found out that when it was activated at the register it actually activated a card for Best Buy.
The lady at the cash showed me when she scanned my Apple card it came up as Best Buy. When she scanned another it showed Apple.
So now it's in the hands of the fraud squad etc. I doubt we will ever see any money from this.

SO... When you buy a card have it scanned first to see if that's what you're buying.

Apparently this a scam perpetrated way up the chain where the cards are printed.

BEWARE

P.S.

NO, the card can not be used at Best Buy.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you know for a fact that the card legitimately was an Apple gift card, and wasn't purchased off Craigslist, or one of the other "swap and shop" sites? That's where a lot of the shady cards come from.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife bought the card at the local drug store. It was sealed in the package like all other card. The cashier said they were familiar with the scam but it was sporadic, not all card were affected.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a scam for just about every product. IRS impersonators, grandchildren in a Mexican jail needing bail money, Nigerian princes on Craigslist...

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which is why I only buy gift cards at the source.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, whenever I sell something to a Nigerian prince, I always fly out there to seal the deal face to face

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only buy Amazon gift cards like this one in a gift box direct from Amazon online.
[image]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I found out all these cards are backed by MasterCard.
The scam comes from the card manufacturer. These are the same cards you find everywhere. MC has an ongoing investigation going on.

ONCE MORE.
Your best defense is to have the cashier scan the card to make sure it's legit.
My card was a genuine Apple card that activated a Best Buy card somewhere else.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we information on scams, let's post it here so all may benefit. It will help eliminate 'hearsay'. For example: Mastercard and Scams

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had the incentive to buy any gift card for anybody because of the potential glitches some will have....

A similar case I dealt with that was very disappointing is when I purchased a second set of four Rancho 9000 shock absorbers during their buy three get one free deal....

The first set of four I purchased back in 2008 I gotten in the previous deal, I went thru the manufacturer to get the $100 rebate check in the mail which was nice as I received it within a month and got a whole $100 credit, no hassles and cashed it....

The second set I purchased back in 2017 however changed their way of issuing a rebate, which after a three month wait I finally received some CHASE Bank $100 card that had my name stenciled on it....

Tried to use it at two different supermarkets as they stated they cannot accept payment with this card, tried using it at a fast food joint, got the same rejected answer, then went to Office Max and inquired if they would accept it as payment and they would approve it, however they would only accept it as a 'one time purchase', so since I needed $82 worth of stuff, I purchased that and then forced to buy almost $18 worth of other junk like pens and highlight markers I would eventually use in the future and got as close to the $100 mark without going over - it was like make believing I was some price is right game show contestant and got within .04 cents from maxing out the entire card value.

Although I didn't go to the bank itself - that would have been my last resort to try to get any kind of redemption value out of this so called 'rebate' card that certain businesses didn't want nuthin' to do with - so in a way I felt scammed.

Then once I used the card, holy Toledo there came the invasion of the junk mail in my PO Box .... This is an example of why important mail always gets lost, but JUNK MAIL NEVER DOES ! - Never Again will I associate to do anything with any type of third party rebate card, gift card, quest card, phone card, Christmas card whatever.

All these businesses with their own issued gift cards and such still accept cash or any bankcard hassle free so to me is like why bother purchasing a gift card to potentially losing out on some money or getting potentially hassled on trying to redeem it - that's my opinion after what I went thru with that rebate card and others getting scammed on these gift cards one story after another.

Seems like they are handy if one is to scam someone out of some value though.

I'm sure others will point out not all cards are bad which would be true to an extent, however I always been consumer cautious but never expected receiving a 'card' on a rebate offer when they never specified it.

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (168K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Beware Gift Card Scam
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.