Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking for a camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World RV Sales

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World RV Sales

> Looking for a camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
tfeaux

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am new to the RV life. My wife and I are planning to do some camping in the near future. We are looking for a camper that has a bathroom and under or near 2000 pounds. Does such a thing exist?

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By camper do you mean a travel trailer? If so, after loading with your stuff, batteries, fresh water and propane, you'll be well over that number. Even a popup tent trailer will be 2250 pounds or so dry and unloaded with NO potty, sink or shower.

See https://www.thorindustries.com/find-my-rv/guided/tow/heavy-duty-truck/sleeps-1/lightweight-camper

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why 2,000, is it a limitation of tow vehicle capability?

I don't know how updated I am with RV space management, but I seem to recall decent bathroom comes at 3,500 lbs and above. And even that, you might have to sit to take a shower if you have 6 ft or above, lol.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Less than 2K will not get you much of a camper - a popup is about your only choice. The smallest RPOD is about 2,500 lbs. Some of the smallest popups are 1,500 lbs with the larger ones weighing in about 3K.

You will not get one with a bathroom (if that is a consideration) for less than 3K.

My suggestion is that if you are wanting to pull any type of camper, buy a larger tow vehicle and check the specs. You would expect that any truck would be able to pull a decent size camper, but you must CHECK THE SPECS of the truck you are wanting to purchase. Most of the "on the lot" trucks, brand new will not tow much more than a medium size pull-trailer.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Correct, Merry. The key here is a more capable tow vehicle.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like they stated above,a pop-up is close to the weight you're talking. You can always use a port-a-pot in the camper. They make a curtain enclosure for them.
A decent hard side camper is 3000# or better.Probably in the 20' range. A basic SUV will pull them,as well as most cars,unless you have a small subcompact.
Best bet,Camping World website to browse the campers.Also PPL website to get some ideas. Most will list the dry weights. Allow about 1000# for your stuff,and don't over pack. When I was little,camping with my parents,we had Campbell soup cans that went around the country. Ended up back in the pantry when we got back 2 1/2 months later.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
Looking for a 5th wheel toyhauler

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/20 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am closing this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Please feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future if you wish.

Thank you,
Good Sam Care Team

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World RV Sales

> Looking for a camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World RV Sales

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.