cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roadside service providers

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Who are you folks using for roadside service. I have a class A. Thanks for any response hopefully include annual price and experiences.
16 REPLIES 16

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net for years. First question they ask when you call; are you in a safe place. Too many benefits to mention, medical & the biggest for me they will get the RV home if I am not able.

Major TV break down near Mancos CO, wrecker & 1 ton dully for the 5th wheel from Durango. 5W to RV park, TV to shop in Cortez CO. I asked the driver what it would have cost and was told $900+. Then he asked me to sign the invoice and left. Thank you couch net, that one tow paid for years of service.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck with Good Sam E R S. They once towed us 70 miles.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of thoughts:

AAA is not a single organization, but rather a confederation of different automobile clubs. Some of them offer roadside assistance for RVs, some DON'T. I've seen posts from people who've bought RV roadside assistance from, say, TX AAA who discovered that, say, MA AAA not only doesn't offer RV roadside assistance to MA members, they wouldn't help the TX members when they broke down in MA in their RV!

Forget AAA.

If you're planning to do anything more than tooling around the lower 48, say going up the Alcan to Alaska or spending your winter down in Baja Mexico, make sure you understand exactly what kind of coverage - if any - your plan offers under those circumstances.

Most roadside assistance programs require you to call them so they can dispatch a tow truck from their approved list. What happens if you're in the middle of nowhere - no cell service - and the highway patrol has to use their radio to summon the only tow truck for 500 miles? Will the club cover that? Under the best of circumstances, you'll probably have to pay the tow yourself and put in for reimbursement. Will the club reimburse the full amount, or is there a maximum limit, and, if so, how much is it?

Lots of things to think about beyond Who's Cheapest.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Usual correct terms:

ERS - Emergency Roadside Service (Provider).

Motor Clubs - What tow service operators call the ERS providers.

Who contracts to/with who (whom)? Most tow operators contract with several Motor Clubs.

What to expect: Tow Operators do have "priority" clients. Example:
State highway Patrol, State Troopers, City PD, etc. The "priority" is both the organization - repeat customer.....whether it's to clear a wreck or just a stalled vehicle in a traffic lane.

THEY get the "priority" - you don't. Busy time you may wait. Slow time = short wait.

*If* you can access the TOW (operator) forums - some Motor Clubs are tightwads, some are slow to honor invoices submitted, some will question the service rendered to the Motor Club member by the tow operator.

All these are "variables". The same Tow Operator may provide great service one day (15 min. wait), lousy service the next day (hour -or more- wait).

As noted - urban or rural area? Road conditions - good or bad (lots of accidents that get priority)? Time of day, etc., etc.

Soooooo your job as a consumer of ERS - is to determine which Motor Club is "right" for you!!

What services are available for what YOU drive - do YOU need to be with the vehicle? - Will the ERS Provider tow both *your* vehicles (Ex: a pickup with a TT or 5th wheel). Does the service cover *every* vehicle you might be driving?

Extra charge for multiple call-outs? - during what period of time?

BTW - ALL the major ERS providers (Motor Clubs) are underwritten by
other major companies.

My choices are two you probably never considered:
Primary = US Rider. Intended for folks with horses, but no need to own hay burners or have same with you. Tow whatever you are driving and/or towing. Only company that will tow a trailer with live animals (as in horses).

Secondary ("backup") = American Motorcyclist. $50 per year. M/C ownership not necessary, tow whatever you are driving and/or towing -
with or w/o M/Cs in the pickup or trailer. Nice monthly magazine - whether you want it or not, LOL.

Whichever you choose - CALL 'EM and ask questions. Like - who is the parent company? - *If* they don't have time for you, you shouldn't have time (or $) for them!!

:W

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be clear, the travel assist and emergency relocate programs from FMCA are club benefits and the RSA is an additional cost program. So the actual cost of their RSA is $159 a year.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance company says they pay for towing, but they only pay $100. You might check real closely what yours will pay.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had coach net for nearly 20 years, used them 3 times and always excellent service. I ask one of the service providers who responded to my roadside emergency if he worked with just coach net. Said no, he worked for all of them. He said from his prospective coach net was the best because they paid him faster and was just easier to work with.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
I haven't heard many horror stories about CoachNet. Supposedly, they all use the same providers.

In major population areas there may be several service firms to choose from. But many only have a single firm capable of transporting a motorhome so you gotta believe ALL the RSS companies use them.

I have RSS through Ford for another two years and then it will be through my insurance company.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I believe FMCA also has an $85 annual membership fee. It's a little cheaper if you pay for three years upfront.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
IB853347201 wrote:
Join FMCA. Roadside assistance especially for class A's, $74 a year. You'll also get travel assist which will fly you and the DW home in case of a medical emergency and pay for a driver to bring your Class A home.
The best value for the money out there.

We had CoachNet and now are switching to FMCA, basically for the medical emergency plan as the DW & I both have medical issues and, well you never know. That's what insurance is for.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have Coachnet - look carefully if you sign up. The more expensive plan is for a motorized rv - the cheaper on for a towable. Don't mistakenly purchase the wrong plan.

Same issue with GoodSam!
2010 Suncruiser

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Join FMCA. Roadside assistance especially for class A's, $74 a year. You'll also get travel assist which will fly you and the DW home in case of a medical emergency and pay for a driver to bring your Class A home.
The best value for the money out there.
2010 Suncruiser

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't heard many horror stories about CoachNet. Supposedly, they all use the same providers.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Coachnet - look carefully if you sign up. The more expensive plan is for a motorized rv - the cheaper on for a towable. Don't mistakenly purchase the wrong plan.