cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will snow damage your average toy hauler roof?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Forest River Stealth. It snowed on thanksgiving and i left it for a couple days. Once i scraped it off i noticed the roof was visually concave between the supports.

Snowed again last night and wonder if i should climb up there or not.

Tried doing several searches and everything came up with zero results. Even though i know this must have come up many times.

Its around 6-8" of snow. This year has been more than normal. Most years we dont get any.
10 REPLIES 10

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
There are thousands of new RV's sitting on the manufacturers and transporters lots in Elkhart / Goshen IN, and on dealers lots. They don't worry about snow or clean it off. At the local Camping World they don't even run in slides, and they leave the bunks / tents deployed on hybrids.

Well if Camping World says it's ok ......:B

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
2013 Forest River Stealth. It snowed on thanksgiving and i left it for a couple days. Once i scraped it off i noticed the roof was visually concave between the supports.

Snowed again last night and wonder if i should climb up there or not.

Tried doing several searches and everything came up with zero results. Even though i know this must have come up many times.

Its around 6-8" of snow. This year has been more than normal. Most years we dont get any.

As a resident of the snow belt, I would not think about removing snow from the TT roof unless there was a LOT--like a foot and a half or so.

If your roof is concave, it seems like you may have a problem. Has the unit ever leaked in the past?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
There are thousands of new RV's sitting on the manufacturers and transporters lots in Elkhart / Goshen IN, and on dealers lots. They don't worry about snow or clean it off. At the local Camping World they don't even run in slides, and they leave the bunks / tents deployed on hybrids.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Odds are if the snow weight made the roof concave between the supports, your roof has been leaking for a while and the wood is rotten. I would get as much off of it as possible and put a tarp over it until it warms up. It wouldn't hurt to put some plywood under the tarp to help spread the load over the supports so water weight isn't laying in the low spots.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You could run a heater in there for a couple days to melt that snow. I agree that the freeze/thaw cycle is probably the worst worry.

As of late, I've started covering my trailer in the winter with shrink wrap over a peaked center ridge that causes snow to run off.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll probably do more damage with the shovel than the snow will. I don't worry about my TT or MH.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on many things but if it's many inches of wet heavy snow.. POSSIBLE. if it's a couple inches or just light power no it won't.

Consider this. on my class A 2x a year I walk all over the roof with mop (Well long handled van wash brush) Bucket, Hose, Spic and Span and my size 12 gun boats. I'm 300 pounds shower weight so about 315 on the roof... So far the only holes in the roof are the ones that the maker put there (A/C, Vent lines. Air vents, that kind of thing )and one of them is gone (Long story it's for a sat antenna feed)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Snow will collapse any roof. The determining factor is how much and how wet. My limit is a foot. Then I remove.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Roof should be strong enuf to support an adult male.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never had a TH, but in my experience, even several feet of snow has never caused an issue. I'd be more concerned about the freeze/thaw cycle maybe causing cracks to open up in the sealant/caulking. I do push snow off, when weather warms, as the melting always starts at the roof, under the snow.

Jerry