Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gettysburg

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Traveling without the RV this time. I'm going to be in Gettysburg on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is supposed to be nice but Sunday raining. Any suggestions on something interesting and indoors to do in or near Gettysburg? An hour or so drive would be okay. We'll be touring the battlefield on Saturday and have already been to the Eisenhower Farm. Also anything on the way north to Matamoras, Pa. along the I-81 and I-84 corridor that might be open on Sunday. Mostly interested in historical places like Civil War sites, museums etc Thanks.
Staying in Matamoras. Looking at the Hampton Inn but open to suggestions for something better. Rather be rving of course!!
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
10 REPLIES 10

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who replied. We went to the Dobbin's House for dinner and the Seminary museum in addition to spending many hours touring the battlefield.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I did not see this sooner. I would have suggested the 50 minute drive to Harrisburg to tour the State Capital Building. Awesome beauty.

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
The Dobbin House has free tours each weekend starting at 10. They are free and interesting.

The museum and cyclorama at the visitor center is well done. There is a fee. 2-4 hours depending on interest.

The Seminary museum is also well done. Fee and worth 1-2 hours.

The Shriver House does an excellent tour. Fee and maybe 1 hour.

Jennie Wade house is a cool tour. Fee less than an hour.

I have been to the battlefield over 209 times in my life. Rain never stopped me from being on the field.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your experience.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the cyclorama was worth the visit. The museum there is pretty good as well. Considering the cyclorama is over a hundred years old, its still in pretty good shape. It all indoors, and not far from some of the battlefields. If its rainy, check it out.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you haven't been there, the Seminary Ridge Museum is very interesting. It was used as a hospital and they have great displays of medical tools and procedures used back then.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kind of ironic that after the battle the skies opened up on the Confederate retreat and kept the Union forces at bay following them. After your tour of the battlefield it will be raining also.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you head north, towards I-84, from Gettysburg on Monday, consider stopping in Pottsville PA and tour the Yuengling Brewery.

It's America's Oldest Brewery and has been in operation since 1829.
The tour is very interesting.

From I-81, get off Exit 107, take US 209 North to Pottsville. After the tour you can get on PA 61 in Pottsville and take it North to I-81

There are no tours on Sunday.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Staying in Gettysburg Friday and Saturday nights. Headed north sometime Sunday maybe Monday.

Awesome. Honestly unless it's pouring buckets I'd continue to tour the battlefields or enjoy the shops in town. Do a wine or cider tasting at Reid's Winery.

There are quite a few things to do in Harrisburg. I'd get on Tripadvisor or some other such website and see what it has to offer.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
There are a number of museums in Gettysburg itself. The National Civil War museum is in Harrisburg, about an hour north. Are you staying in Matamoras on Saturday night? That's a 3.5 hour drive away from Gettysburg. If you are looking to stay in Gettysburg proper I would stay at the Gettysburg hotel.

Staying in Gettysburg Friday and Saturday nights. Headed north sometime Sunday maybe Monday.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of museums in Gettysburg itself. The National Civil War museum is in Harrisburg, about an hour north. Are you staying in Matamoras on Saturday night? That's a 3.5 hour drive away from Gettysburg. If you are looking to stay in Gettysburg proper I would stay at the Gettysburg hotel.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]