Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Gettysburg
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wtmtnhiker

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
Traveling without the RV this time. I'm going to be in Gettysburg on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is supposed to be nice but Sunday raining. Any suggestions on something interesting and indoors to do in or near Gettysburg? An hour or so drive would be okay. We'll be touring the battlefield on Saturday and have already been to the Eisenhower Farm. Also anything on the way north to Matamoras, Pa. along the I-81 and I-84 corridor that might be open on Sunday. Mostly interested in historical places like Civil War sites, museums etc Thanks.
Staying in Matamoras. Looking at the Hampton Inn but open to suggestions for something better. Rather be rving of course!!

bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a number of museums in Gettysburg itself. The National Civil War museum is in Harrisburg, about an hour north. Are you staying in Matamoras on Saturday night? That's a 3.5 hour drive away from Gettysburg. If you are looking to stay in Gettysburg proper I would stay at the Gettysburg hotel.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

wtmtnhiker

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

There are a number of museums in Gettysburg itself. The National Civil War museum is in Harrisburg, about an hour north. Are you staying in Matamoras on Saturday night? That's a 3.5 hour drive away from Gettysburg. If you are looking to stay in Gettysburg proper I would stay at the Gettysburg hotel.

Staying in Gettysburg Friday and Saturday nights. Headed north sometime Sunday maybe Monday.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Staying in Gettysburg Friday and Saturday nights. Headed north sometime Sunday maybe Monday.

Awesome. Honestly unless it's pouring buckets I'd continue to tour the battlefields or enjoy the shops in town. Do a wine or cider tasting at Reid's Winery.

There are quite a few things to do in Harrisburg. I'd get on Tripadvisor or some other such website and see what it has to offer.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you head north, towards I-84, from Gettysburg on Monday, consider stopping in Pottsville PA and tour the Yuengling Brewery.

It's America's Oldest Brewery and has been in operation since 1829.
The tour is very interesting.

From I-81, get off Exit 107, take US 209 North to Pottsville. After the tour you can get on PA 61 in Pottsville and take it North to I-81

There are no tours on Sunday.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of ironic that after the battle the skies opened up on the Confederate retreat and kept the Union forces at bay following them. After your tour of the battlefield it will be raining also.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't been there, the Seminary Ridge Museum is very interesting. It was used as a hospital and they have great displays of medical tools and procedures used back then.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought the cyclorama was worth the visit. The museum there is pretty good as well. Considering the cyclorama is over a hundred years old, its still in pretty good shape. It all indoors, and not far from some of the battlefields. If its rainy, check it out.

WallynDiane

Greensburg,Pa USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Dobbin House has free tours each weekend starting at 10. They are free and interesting.

The museum and cyclorama at the visitor center is well done. There is a fee. 2-4 hours depending on interest.

The Seminary museum is also well done. Fee and worth 1-2 hours.

The Shriver House does an excellent tour. Fee and maybe 1 hour.

Jennie Wade house is a cool tour. Fee less than an hour.

I have been to the battlefield over 209 times in my life. Rain never stopped me from being on the field.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your experience.

Bill/Diana

Southeastern Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I did not see this sooner. I would have suggested the 50 minute drive to Harrisburg to tour the State Capital Building. Awesome beauty.

Bill & Diana

Please click here to visit our Website

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.