cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neat little fresh water in an ABS pipe idea

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this down in sunny San Diego. There is a hose bib on the right side. My buddy said its common for the surfer guys to do this. Water gets warmed a bit in the black pipe.

If its 4", and roughly 60" long, it holds around 3.25 gallons.

36 REPLIES 36

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
They sell black poly bags as โ€˜solar water heatersโ€™ for camping, 5 and 10 gallon sizes. Pretty reasonable price and designed for sitting out in the sun so should be decent life span.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Naio wrote:
I'm thinking about getting one of these
water bladders for the roof rack of my van. I would only fill it when parked, but it might make more sense for me than a water heater.

Water weighs 8.345 pounds per gallon. That water bladder when full would then weigh 500 pounds.

I saw in another post where you say your roof is fibreglass..

I think youโ€™d very quickly have a new skylight if you put one of those on your roof.

:B I was thinking about getting a 10 or 15 gallon size. My roof holds a person walking around ok, and that would be less weight than a person, and better distributed.

And yeah, it wouldn't last forever. But the size I was looking at is $100.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

500 lbs in a plastic bag?
No mater how well made they are you know there will be a problem eventually.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Naio wrote:
water bladders for the roof rack of my van. I would only fill it when parked, but it might make more sense for me than a water heater.

Water weighs 8.345 pounds per gallon. That water bladder when full would then weigh 500 pounds.

I saw in another post where you say your roof is fibreglass..

I think youโ€™d very quickly have a new skylight if you put one of those on your roof.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You can make a similar adapter to pressurize the ABS version too. You can also thread in a freshwater blowout connector to the water inlet connection. You just have to be careful not to over pressurize it. But you don't need much pressure anyway.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The commercial versions usually add a metal tire valve and allow you to pressurize the pipe using a compressor or a small bicycle pump even.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie wrote:
A good garden sprayer painted black is a great shower in the rough and needs very little water to do a GI shower.

That's an outstanding Quick-And-Clean minimalist showering solution!!

Most garden sprayers are in the 3 to 5 gallon range. A 4 or 5 gallon model might be good for at least 2 hot showers.

(But to get around that I donated our camper van away years ago and went the small motorhome route ... and have been clean ever since. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
A good garden sprayer painted black is a great shower in the rough and needs very little water to do a GI shower.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
smthbros wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Donโ€™t forget guys. A 4โ€ pipe is the outside diameter!

I would say around 3 gallons?

I seldom venture south of the border, but up here in God's country, the nominal size of pipe refers to the inside diameter.
https://pvcfittingsdirect.com/pvc-pipe-sizes-chart/

I used to work for a company that manufactured, designed with, and sold PVC/ABS SDR-XX plastic sewer pipe. You are correct. Nominal size generally refers to inside diameter. Not all plastic pipe is sized that way though.

Chum lee

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

I seldom venture south of the border, but up here in God's country, the nominal size of pipe refers to the inside diameter.
https://pvcfittingsdirect.com/pvc-pipe-sizes-chart/

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m surprised none of the PC grumpy-pants in the crowd here have mentioned that the van is illegally parked.

:B

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil, the over-the-cab part of the VW looks like it has a starboard list. Either DW or DH needs to go on a diet!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.