Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: potty without the rv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> potty without the rv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Face down wind and down hill when possible.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2.6 gallon portable toilet

X2 on this. We carried one in our jeep and in our truck and in our cargo trailer.

We picked ours up at wally world for about $40.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small collapsible shovel from an Army Surplus store. Have a roll of toilet paper with you. Dig the hole... A jug of water and some hand sanitizer and a roll of paper tolls. Box of some kind to toss all this into.

Many years of car and VW van travel has taught me...

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

A small collapsible shovel from an Army Surplus store. Have a roll of toilet paper with you. Dig the hole... A jug of water and some hand sanitizer and a roll of paper tolls. Box of some kind to toss all this into.

Gary Haupt
And if you had a wife who is 89 as the OP stated his is I'd like to see you convince her this is a good solution.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt
And if you had a wife who is 89 as the OP stated his is I'd like to see you convince her this is a good solution.

Dave

Not sure I could wait long enough to dig a hole sometimes. [emoticon] For someone 89 I would go with a small portable cassette toilet.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have that small portable toilet in my van. I recommend also a sturdy box to go underneath it. It's very low by itself, for an 89 year old. Or for me!

It has a water reservoir and a flushing mechanism, but like most of the commenters on Amazon, I don't use that. You can if you want, though. I find it more convenient just to pour a little water out of a jug if needed.

I previously used the bucket, pool noodle (or pipe insulation), and garbage bag system. Honestly, for intermittent use I would find that more comfortable and convenient. It would depend on her bowels' level of persnicketiness. And also her balance. The bucket requires a little more balance than the potty.

For poop, you don't need the kitty litter. For pee, I used a plastic jug which I set inside the bucket, with also a clean garbage bag in the bucket. As backup for for poor aim :-). No kitty litter regardless.

Add the portable shower tent for an enclosure, and things should be pretty ok.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given your age, I can see popping a squat and getting back up being a challenge.
5 gal bucket with a lid or toilet seat lid(look at camping toilets online) would be a great choice. Have something near to pull yourself back up.
Me personally, a stack of napkins from a fast food restaurant in the glovebox is ultimate preparedness in remote areas.
Just grabbed a fresh stack yesterday morning before we headed into the back country. To replenish what was in my pack!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pool noodle, and a five gallon pail with the bottom cut out. Dig hole, position bucket, take care of business, bury the results. Done.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I have a truck camper, my toilet and kitchen and bed travel with me.

It is hard to get much more convenient. My favorite example is traveling in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. I travel in the truck camper, pull over and use the toilet when needed. Lunch time I cook a quick meal and eat it at the side of the road watching the bison or other wildlife. Meanwhile the big rig travelers drive to the Lamar Valley in their toads. They have to use the outhouses that you can smell for a mile. Lunch is a sandwich or whatever. By mid to late afternoon, they are worn out and begin the drive back to the RV parks, mostly outside of Yellowstone. I typically take an afternoon nap, eat dinner and return as the sun is setting.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Since I have a truck camper, my toilet and kitchen and bed travel with me.

It is hard to get much more convenient. My favorite example is traveling in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. I travel in the truck camper, pull over and use the toilet when needed. Lunch time I cook a quick meal and eat it at the side of the road watching the bison or other wildlife. Meanwhile the big rig travelers drive to the Lamar Valley in their toads. They have to use the outhouses that you can smell for a mile. Lunch is a sandwich or whatever. By mid to late afternoon, they are worn out and begin the drive back to the RV parks, mostly outside of Yellowstone. I typically take an afternoon nap, eat dinner and return as the sun is setting.

X2

That describes exactly what we do - except in our small Class C motorhome. We like a toilet, cooktop, refrigerator, bed, dinette, lounge chair, etc., with us at all times whenever out and about.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> potty without the rv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.