Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have now had 2 immigration lawyers tell me that you can still drive an RV with a 10 year TIP after you are Residente Permanente as long as you obtained it when you had a tourist visa or Residente Temporal. I know one couple, both with permanente, who are driving a motorhome in each year with no issues.

You certainly cannot have a foreign plated car. I have looked at the SAT regs and they are vague when it comes to this.

I would sure like to find someone who got a Casa Rodante permit when they were Residente Temporal and whether they gave them a 10 year TIP or tied it to the expiry of their residente Temporal card. If this is true, I would like to cancel my TIP before my residente temporal expires and then bring it back in under a new 10 year.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were in a similar position, one attorney said we would be fine since we got our 10 year permit while on a tourist visa, and the other disagreed vocally.

I think it will come down to whether or not you have a problem-like an insurance claim or being involved in a major upheaval or event. Like rolling your trailer off of the road and walking away.

I suggest contacting one of the "in the know" insurance brokers like Lewis and Lewis and see what they say about the insurance on the RV. If they don't know, they will find out. Or else, just call Qualitas and find out from them.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can’t help but find these posts interesting.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check into importing the RV I have met a lot persons that have imported the units, some of them are actually Mexican citizens, ask a lawyer the worst that can happen is somebody says no.

navegator

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Importing a vehicle of any kind into Mexico has very strict rules, and if your vehicle is eligible, is quite expensive.

It could an option for a very high end, NAFTA vehicle.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid 22% of the value to import our travel trailer. Not sure what the taxes are now.

I'm not a lawyer, but if the info you received regarding the 10-year permit were true, there would be a lot more Mexican residents with rvs on a 10-year permit.

I sometimes wish our rv had U.S. or Canadian plates. In terms of transito, it seems that non-Mexican plated RVs have fewer hassles assuming that the gringo driver speaks no Spanish. I could be wrong on that though.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

according to the lawyer it only is valid IF you already have the TIP when you obtain residente. This is what Spencers in Chapala have told me and also Yucatan Expatriate services. You would be unable to renew it. Since I am approaching 71, 10 years works for me.

Now, if you can't, I see no reason you cannot cancel the TIP, & put a siblings name on the registation. Have them get a new 10 year TIP in their name (On line even, I don't think they would even have to cross the border). You could sit in the Sonara free zone while all of that is done. As a sibling, you are allowed to drive it without them being in the rig and your name is also on the registration.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, my concern is with the insurance. IF there is a problem, someone will have to produce a valid visa for the insurance to be valid.

My concern wouldn't be with the value of your vehicle, but with the liability if someone else was injured.,

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not necesarily. Insurance is separate, you can specify drivers. Either way I dont have to worry for 4 years. may just let the wifes temopral lapse and re-apply, the motorhome permit is in her name.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not trying to be controversial, but why not just do it the right way and import the rv permanently paying the appropriate taxes?

Although SAT has the last word, as you know rules can be interpreted in different ways just as the issue with the heavy pickup or returning to the U.S. bringing what you think is passable or not. Each agent or department has its own criteria.

That said, the same can happen in Mexico with vehicles and paperwork in municipalities or at checkpoints. The Mexican aduana, in Laredo and Reynosa, have become very strict on vehicle importation and paperwork. There was a period a few years back when many agencias aduanales lost their licenses for doing crooked things and those that had their vehicles imported by them risked or still risk losing their vehicles.

Your plan just sounds like too much hassle. JMHO

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.