cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have now had 2 immigration lawyers tell me that you can still drive an RV with a 10 year TIP after you are Residente Permanente as long as you obtained it when you had a tourist visa or Residente Temporal. I know one couple, both with permanente, who are driving a motorhome in each year with no issues.

You certainly cannot have a foreign plated car. I have looked at the SAT regs and they are vague when it comes to this.

I would sure like to find someone who got a Casa Rodante permit when they were Residente Temporal and whether they gave them a 10 year TIP or tied it to the expiry of their residente Temporal card. If this is true, I would like to cancel my TIP before my residente temporal expires and then bring it back in under a new 10 year.
24 REPLIES 24

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
I was referring to the changes a few years back. The import fees doubled and the permissible years changed. Unless one has a special reason for importing a car it is easier and cheaper to buy one in Mexico
I mentioned the chocolates is whenever the auto dealers complain the temporary import of vehicles can become stricter. Witness the bond process that began about 7 year ago. There are elements in amlo's cabinet that wants to eliminate illegal cars. Others officials just want to fine the owners. Either way if the Hacienda sends out the Gestapo anyone with iffy papers could get caught up in a mess. Aren't you the fellow that is involved in importing vehicles and hauling trailers?

Moisheh, maybe you should read my thread from a year ago.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29813683/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

In that thread I posted exactly how to go about importing a vehicle. None of the future doom and gloom you prodicted came to pass.

I know you are trying to help people but you don't seem to learn from others experiences. You need to change your tune if you really want to help others.

I got my diesel dually with a pedimento, factura, and tajerta de circulacion all checkable on the Repuve and Aduanas Pedimento checker. I also got an imported cargo trailer last year. Good thing I ignored your advice.

Yes, I haul trailers for people.

I freely cross the border frequently with my Mexican plated truck and trailer.

The only vehicles I have imported were personal. I have done it 3 times in 15 years, all of them outside the supposed guidelines you constantly re-post over and over again. Law, regulations, rules regarding importing change constantly. There are plenty of Amparos issued too. Brokers know or can check what is importable "at this time"

10's of 1000's of cars are imported every year by Mexicans. They must think it is financially good move for them. They were for me.

So if you really want to help people you should stick to posting your experiences and not the things you read about online

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated never rely on a translation. You cango to any major Hacienda office a nd get sn answer to your question. Or get a lawyer to write to them gor a ruling

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I was referring to the changes a few years back. The import fees doubled and the permissible years changed. Unless one has a special reason for importing a car it is easier and cheaper to buy one in Mexico
I mentioned the chocolates is whenever the auto dealers complain the temporary import of vehicles can become stricter. Witness the bond process that began about 7 year ago. There are elements in amlo's cabinet that wants to eliminate illegal cars. Others officials just want to fine the owners. Either way if the Hacienda sends out the Gestapo anyone with iffy papers could get caught up in a mess. Aren't you the fellow that is involved in importing vehicles and hauling trailers?

Talleyho69
" Motor homes may be driven or transported in the national territory by the importer, spouse, their parents, children or siblings provided they are permanent residents abroad or by any other person when the importer travels on board."

Tequila, this says to me that if you are a permanent resident abroad, meaning a permanent resident of Canada, you can drive it. NOT a permanent resident of Mexico.

What I think it comes down to is that you are going to continue to drive your RV with a 10 year TIP on it, legal or semi-legal or not. It's your neck on the line.

I have to ask, Why are you trying to get your residency in Mexico? Do you plan to live here permanently or part time, or is it just for convenience?

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
" Motor homes may be driven or transported in the national territory by the importer, spouse, their parents, children or siblings provided they are permanent residents abroad or by any other person when the importer travels on board. This is why I suspect immigration lawyers are telling me the rules do not apply to 10 year permit holders. Provided you have not renounced your resident status in the uS or Canada.

Tequilla, Does Mexico allow you be a permanent resident in 2 countries?

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
A Canadian citixen cannot legally drive a foreign plated vehicle across the border. Otherwise we would all buy usa rv,s and not pay GST. There are some exceptions. Something about bringing it home to empty the contents
Conversely if you have a Permanente you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. Even if it is registered to a spouse. How would you feel if some Hacienda jerk seized your rv? Importing is not really an option with all the new regulations. I might add that the auto dralers association is applying lots of pressure yo make the rules stricter. Too many caros chocolates. If dome Mexican official tells you it is ok get a ruling in writing.
Moisheh

What new import regulations are you talking about? I find your statements about importing RV's and other vehicles not the reality of the process. Where are you getting your information about imports into Mexico?
Constantly repeating popular web board "chatter" doesn't make it true or make you an expert on the subject.

Illegal "Chocolates" are illegal and have nothing to do with the import process.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The document that you provide states very clear what I am refering to, that a person who is not the registered owner can drive the motorhome as long as the person in whose name the unit is registered and obtained the TIP is riding along otherwise it is prohibited for a person not being in the registration and the TIP to drive the unit in Mexico.

As I have stated fefore, machine translating documents, specially legal documents are not translated in accordance to the meaning and intent of the wording contained within.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
If i put it in my brothers name, i will still be on the registration, in this province you can have more than one name on the registration. That rule about the other party being in the vehicle is only under the vehicle rules, it appears nowhere under the casa rodante rules.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Placing a motorhome in someones elses name without you being on the registration is asking for trouble, a recidente permanente can not drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico unless the registered owner or the person that imported the vehicle is present and that includes motorhomes.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh is incorrect about a residente permanente being able to drive a foreign plated vehicle registered to a spouse. If the spouse is not residente permanente, you can drive it IF it is a spouse, brother sister, parents or kids. You can drive any foreign plated vehicle that is not a close relative if they are in there with you. It's all in the SAT regulations. A mexican citizen may drive your foreing plated vehicle if you are in there as well.

Th SAT regs have no restictions when it comes to Casa rodantes. Th esection on those do mention status of theperson at all. See http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/casas_rodantes.aspx IN english the paragraph reads " Motor homes may be driven or transported in the national territory by the importer, spouse, their parents, children or siblings provided they are permanent residents abroad or by any other person when the importer travels on board. This is why I suspect immigration lawyers are telling me the rules do not apply to 10 year permit holders. Provided you have not renounced your resident status in the uS or Canada.

Talleyho69
I think I like what you are saying, but could you edit it and make it easily readable please?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
A Canadian citixen cannot legally drive a foreign plated vehicle across the border. Otherwise we would all buy usa rv,s and not pay GST. There are some exceptions. Something about bringing it home to empty the contents
Conversely if you have a Permanente you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. Even if it is registered to a spouse. How would you feel if some Hacienda jerk seized your rv? Importing is not really an option with all the new regulations. I might add that the auto dralers association is applying lots of pressure yo make the rules stricter. Too many caros chocolates. If dome Mexican official tells you it is ok get a ruling in writing.
Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We took our Mexican plated rv into Canada. We also checked to see if we wanted to sell it in Texas if we could replate it since it was originally from there. $180. My ex-boss took her VW Jetta to San Diego where, because it meets EPA standards, she was able to import it and plate in California. So much to know and so hard to find the information sometimes.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
You can absolutely take a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada. Our friend, who lives here 90% of the time, annually drives his Guerrero Mexico plated vehicle back to Canada for part of the summer. He does his thing, then drives back.

We did exactly that into California when we relocated permanently to Mexico. We kept our Mexican drivers licenses handy but in almost three months, we were never stopped and questioned. When I drove it across the border into the US, they simply scanned my US passport and waved me through. I was also pulling an empty cargo trailer, also with Mexico plates.

I have to agree with the above posters. You might be able to get away with having the RV in someone else's name, but if there is a problem, I'd still be extremely worried about the insurance situation. I never play to spend time in a jail in any country, and it could easily happen if the insurance isn't right.

Good Luck.