Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

importing permanently is not something I want to do at this time in case I want to take it back in 4 years. You cannot take a mexican plated vehicle into Canada. If not, I am not sure what the rules would be about improting it, it would be 14 years old at that point.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can absolutely take a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada. Our friend, who lives here 90% of the time, annually drives his Guerrero Mexico plated vehicle back to Canada for part of the summer. He does his thing, then drives back.

We did exactly that into California when we relocated permanently to Mexico. We kept our Mexican drivers licenses handy but in almost three months, we were never stopped and questioned. When I drove it across the border into the US, they simply scanned my US passport and waved me through. I was also pulling an empty cargo trailer, also with Mexico plates.

I have to agree with the above posters. You might be able to get away with having the RV in someone else's name, but if there is a problem, I'd still be extremely worried about the insurance situation. I never play to spend time in a jail in any country, and it could easily happen if the insurance isn't right.

Good Luck.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our Mexican plated rv into Canada. We also checked to see if we wanted to sell it in Texas if we could replate it since it was originally from there. $180. My ex-boss took her VW Jetta to San Diego where, because it meets EPA standards, she was able to import it and plate in California. So much to know and so hard to find the information sometimes.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Canadian citixen cannot legally drive a foreign plated vehicle across the border. Otherwise we would all buy usa rv,s and not pay GST. There are some exceptions. Something about bringing it home to empty the contents
Conversely if you have a Permanente you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. Even if it is registered to a spouse. How would you feel if some Hacienda jerk seized your rv? Importing is not really an option with all the new regulations. I might add that the auto dralers association is applying lots of pressure yo make the rules stricter. Too many caros chocolates. If dome Mexican official tells you it is ok get a ruling in writing.
Moisheh

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I like what you are saying, but could you edit it and make it easily readable please?

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh is incorrect about a residente permanente being able to drive a foreign plated vehicle registered to a spouse. If the spouse is not residente permanente, you can drive it IF it is a spouse, brother sister, parents or kids. You can drive any foreign plated vehicle that is not a close relative if they are in there with you. It's all in the SAT regulations. A mexican citizen may drive your foreing plated vehicle if you are in there as well.

Th SAT regs have no restictions when it comes to Casa rodantes. Th esection on those do mention status of theperson at all. See http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehicul........ion_temporal/Paginas/casas_rodantes.aspx IN english the paragraph reads " Motor homes may be driven or transported in the national territory by the importer, spouse, their parents, children or siblings provided they are permanent residents abroad or by any other person when the importer travels on board. This is why I suspect immigration lawyers are telling me the rules do not apply to 10 year permit holders. Provided you have not renounced your resident status in the uS or Canada.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Placing a motorhome in someones elses name without you being on the registration is asking for trouble, a recidente permanente can not drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico unless the registered owner or the person that imported the vehicle is present and that includes motorhomes.

navegator

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If i put it in my brothers name, i will still be on the registration, in this province you can have more than one name on the registration. That rule about the other party being in the vehicle is only under the vehicle rules, it appears nowhere under the casa rodante rules.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The document that you provide states very clear what I am refering to, that a person who is not the registered owner can drive the motorhome as long as the person in whose name the unit is registered and obtained the TIP is riding along otherwise it is prohibited for a person not being in the registration and the TIP to drive the unit in Mexico.

As I have stated fefore, machine translating documents, specially legal documents are not translated in accordance to the meaning and intent of the wording contained within.

navegator

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

A Canadian citixen cannot legally drive a foreign plated vehicle across the border. Otherwise we would all buy usa rv,s and not pay GST. There are some exceptions. Something about bringing it home to empty the contents
Conversely if you have a Permanente you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. Even if it is registered to a spouse. How would you feel if some Hacienda jerk seized your rv? Importing is not really an option with all the new regulations. I might add that the auto dralers association is applying lots of pressure yo make the rules stricter. Too many caros chocolates. If dome Mexican official tells you it is ok get a ruling in writing.
Moisheh

What new import regulations are you talking about? I find your statements about importing RV's and other vehicles not the reality of the process. Where are you getting your information about imports into Mexico?
Constantly repeating popular web board "chatter" doesn't make it true or make you an expert on the subject.

Illegal "Chocolates" are illegal and have nothing to do with the import process.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Having an RV in Mexico when residente permanente
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.