Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep

Terd_Ferusgson
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All!
I am new haven't posted much here. Forgive me if its in the wrong section.

I have owned a TT for 2 years as of this month. And I have a few up keep type questions :

- My caulking is brownish in color. Is there a way to brighten it up or do I need to replace it? When should that be done ?

- Propane - Sometimes it takes a while for my propane to start working for the fridge and gas burners. I have to go out and fiddle with it like swapping tanks or messing with the regulator before I start noticing it working. Not sure if this could be a regulator issue or if its common?

- Stabilizer - I've done the trick to use 2x4's to help with the swaying while walking in the cabin. I have two kids so I constantly have to tighten the stabilizer up. Any idea how to tighten that or if adding more stabilizer would help? I have the manual type stabilizer.

- Lights - is there a recommended way to add more lights around the base or bottom of the rig to light up. Any ideas or has anyone done that before could they share ?

Many thanks for you all taking the time to read and help a newer guy out.
25 REPLIES 25

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used one of those red cones under my electric jack for the past 15 years and have had no problems whatsoever. It is very stable and I usually put it on top of a 2x8x12 board first.
If you look carefully, you can see it in the picture of our rig below.

As far as stabilization goes, we have never had a problem dealing with the little bit of "wiggle" from the suspension when we use the front and rear stabilizing jacks. If you want to get it out altogether, then I would use a couple of portable jacks in the middle just in front of the wheels or under the stairs on the frame. This is what we do when staying long term (3 or 4 months) down South in the winter. The jack stands are just aluminum and can be purchased quite cheaply and come two in a box.
Barney

Jack stands

Our rig
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Caulk,, THE MOST important part of your thread!
Every Spring and Fall, check the caulk!
Clean it with acetone and refill the cracks. I suggest taking the time to use a plastic putty knife and scrape a small "V" in a crack and fill with self leveling Dicore.

I had my first issue this fall, I thought I did a good job but developed a seam seam leak on the roof.
IN the rain I went up and cleaned and re filled a seam. So far so good!
But yeah,, Spring and Fall, Check the seams!

Dicor is good stuff, but it does need to be watched carefully, as you say. Eternabond tape is a better solution, IMHO, especially if you lay a small bead of Dicor around the edges of the tape.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT has LED awning lights as well as under the frame rope lights all the way around. We find them to be way too bright even when dimmed, plus they are a weird purple color. But we still wanted to be able to see, and there is no porch light.

My solution was to install a small, foot long white LED strip on the frame directly behind the steps. Fished a wire and added a switch inside the entry door. Lights the step and the area under the awning just enough, and even if I forget to shut it off, it's not going to bother the neighbors, even if they're in a tent.

Those who need help finding their rig when walking back from the shower house at night, can use the old "jumper wire in the 7-way plug" trick to run their marker lights.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Caulk,, THE MOST important part of your thread!
Every Spring and Fall, check the caulk!
Clean it with acetone and refill the cracks. I suggest taking the time to use a plastic putty knife and scrape a small "V" in a crack and fill with self leveling Dicore.

I had my first issue this fall, I thought I did a good job but developed a seam seam leak on the roof.
IN the rain I went up and cleaned and re filled a seam. So far so good!
But yeah,, Spring and Fall, Check the seams!

Terd_Ferusgson
Explorer
Explorer
I really need to try that out. I have some pieces of 2x6 that would work in my garage. But this cone was gifted to us and seemed like it made perfect sense , though some of the stuff they sell you is total BS.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Terd_Ferusgson wrote:
Anyone have exp with the cones that the electric tongue jacks foot sits on? I have a red one that was gifted to me. I don't sit the jacks foot on the group it is always on this cone, I am thinking maybe this could adding to the problem and maybe I should try getting a metal foot to attach to the jack without using the red cone.

red trailer pad

I can't believe that wouldn't wobble. Get some pieces of lumber and glue them together with waterproof epoxy.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the others regarding your propane issue, it takes a while to get the air purged.
When you are having to retighten your stabilizers, do not lubricate the threaded shaft. If you do, they can loosen themselves, I made that mistake one time. I have seen others do it, but mine would not stay snug, so I never did it again.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
... my inlaws, outlaws and most other older folks we're around turn on every light in the house! Lol

And now you get it.

mgann
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the stabilizers. pretend it's a houseboat and let roll
2014 Chevrolet 1500, crew cab, srw, 2wd, 4.6 gas, Stock class V, 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood model 19n

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What's with the grumpy light people?
If you're in a sardine can campground/RV park, you're not really getting away from "it all." Fail to see the issue with some ground effects lights....weird part here is my inlaws, outlaws and most other older folks we're around turn on every light in the house! Lol

Any who, regarding the caulking, you can try cleaning it, but the flexible caulks that never really harden like Dicor type stuff used on RV exteriors attracts dust and dirt and just gets dirty.

Cool idea on the 2x4 stabilizers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the link Terd. That's quite the idea. Not sure it's for me, but if it works for you, that's all that matters.

I see those red cone jack stands, but I just use a couple of 4x8 scrap cut-offs that are probably 13 years old now. I nailed some rope handles on them, so easy to move around. They provide a nice solid base for the jack and no chance for it to move.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:

...The biggest issue most people have with outdoor lighting at campgrounds is when people leave them on all night....

^^^This^^^
We have underneath the RV rope lights and only turn them on when we leave to go to the bath house in the evenings. Makes it easier to find home. But yes, PLEASE turn off your lights when you go to bed.

Terd_Ferusgson
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have exp with the cones that the electric tongue jacks foot sits on? I have a red one that was gifted to me. I don't sit the jacks foot on the group it is always on this cone, I am thinking maybe this could adding to the problem and maybe I should try getting a metal foot to attach to the jack without using the red cone.

red trailer pad

Terd_Ferusgson
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Okay, you gotta show me a pic or a link to this 2x4 thing.. I've been camping a long time with TT's and have no idea what you are talking about??

Eye let bolts, 36" long boards, two tie downs to act as a stabilizer?? No clue.

I have been using the usual 4 corner BAL scissor jacks forever and I have found that if you crank up the rear ones more than the front ones, it takes a lot of the bounce out.. The tongue jack needs to still take a good amount of the front weight at least in my experience.. Your mileage may vary of course..

Everyone has their own methods to control stabilizer bounce.. Just gotta find what works for you and go from there.. 36" 2x4's is new to me! 🙂

Mitch

Here is the 2x4 idea for stabilization