Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: *NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> *NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of "rope lights", see if you can pickup the battery powered outdoor string lights - might be on sale since it is after Christmas. They usually are on a timer, so you turn them on at 8pm and they shut off automatically at midnight. Make sure you get outdoor rated lights.

The biggest issue most people have with outdoor lighting at campgrounds is when people leave them on all night.

Propane - I turn on the tanks, then run the stove top to "purge" the lines of air (make sure door and windows are opened for ventilation). As said earlier, usually takes a minute or two. Double check the frig and water heater after you turn them on - if there were still air pockets in the gas lines, you may have to restart them.

Stabilizing - I just use the stabilizers mounted on the corners of my TT. Sometimes I tighten them up a little the next morning, but that is about it. No matter what you do, you are going to get at least a little rocking of the camper as people move around due to the suspension.

Caulking - It may discolor but still be perfectly good. Important things are that it is still sticking to the surface, doesn't have cracks, and isn't leaking. If in doubt have it replaced.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has limited vision after dark. I ziptied washer type magnets every foot or so to an LED rope light. Easy to attach to the frame and around the steps.
Certainly not a Christmas tree.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Terd_Ferusgson

sacramento, ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Okay, you gotta show me a pic or a link to this 2x4 thing.. I've been camping a long time with TT's and have no idea what you are talking about??

Eye let bolts, 36" long boards, two tie downs to act as a stabilizer?? No clue.

I have been using the usual 4 corner BAL scissor jacks forever and I have found that if you crank up the rear ones more than the front ones, it takes a lot of the bounce out.. The tongue jack needs to still take a good amount of the front weight at least in my experience.. Your mileage may vary of course..

Everyone has their own methods to control stabilizer bounce.. Just gotta find what works for you and go from there.. 36" 2x4's is new to me! [emoticon]

Mitch

[image]

Here is the 2x4 idea for stabilization

Terd_Ferusgson

sacramento, ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have exp with the cones that the electric tongue jacks foot sits on? I have a red one that was gifted to me. I don't sit the jacks foot on the group it is always on this cone, I am thinking maybe this could adding to the problem and maybe I should try getting a metal foot to attach to the jack without using the red cone.

red trailer pad

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

...The biggest issue most people have with outdoor lighting at campgrounds is when people leave them on all night....

^^^This^^^
We have underneath the RV rope lights and only turn them on when we leave to go to the bath house in the evenings. Makes it easier to find home. But yes, PLEASE turn off your lights when you go to bed.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the link Terd. That's quite the idea. Not sure it's for me, but if it works for you, that's all that matters.

I see those red cone jack stands, but I just use a couple of 4x8 scrap cut-offs that are probably 13 years old now. I nailed some rope handles on them, so easy to move around. They provide a nice solid base for the jack and no chance for it to move.

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's with the grumpy light people?
If you're in a sardine can campground/RV park, you're not really getting away from "it all." Fail to see the issue with some ground effects lights....weird part here is my inlaws, outlaws and most other older folks we're around turn on every light in the house! Lol

Any who, regarding the caulking, you can try cleaning it, but the flexible caulks that never really harden like Dicor type stuff used on RV exteriors attracts dust and dirt and just gets dirty.

Cool idea on the 2x4 stabilizers.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mgann

Fayetteville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the stabilizers. pretend it's a houseboat and let roll

2014 Chevrolet 1500, crew cab, srw, 2wd, 4.6 gas, Stock class V, 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood model 19n

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

... my inlaws, outlaws and most other older folks we're around turn on every light in the house! Lol

And now you get it.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the others regarding your propane issue, it takes a while to get the air purged.
When you are having to retighten your stabilizers, do not lubricate the threaded shaft. If you do, they can loosen themselves, I made that mistake one time. I have seen others do it, but mine would not stay snug, so I never did it again.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> *NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.