cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level best jacks

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 05 Winnebago sightseer. The last time I used the jacks maybe a month ago. When I was lowering them all of a sudden the engine died. I tried to start it and it clicked like the battery was dead no dashboard lights nothing. Tried again and not even the clicking. Then I noticed that the lights on the jacks control panel was all lit up but still the battery was acting like it was dead. So I disconnected the power to the jacks and tried starting the engine and it started right up. I hooked the power back to the jacks and was able to retract them back up they had traveled down a little before the engine died. So I tried again to lower them and again the engine died but this time not even the jacks panel was lit up and again the battery acted like it was dead and wouldn’t start. I tried a few more times and about 45 minutes later the engine started. I raised the jacks back up disconnected the power to them and haven’t tried since. The jacks,slide outs and stairs all run off the starting battery, why? I don’t know but I always run the engine when I run them. The battery is only a few months old and starts no problem other than the issue with the jacks. Any ideas? I’m planning to find a dealership mechanic when I get to Arizona at the end of January. Has anyone had this issue ?
8 REPLIES 8

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
So disconnect all but one at a time and power it up and see if one of them is causing the problem?
Come to think of it,When I had the issue it was the front jacks. So I should try the rear jacks first off and see what happens. Ok thanks. I will work on this next week after I retire and get out of this frozen town.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
JOERVDREAM wrote:
Ok tested the alternator today. Battery with engine off at 13.23 volts. With engine running 14.34 volts. No noticeable difference when I added a load. Looks like the alternator is working fine. So at least I know I shouldn’t have a problem getting down south to get the jacks checked.

so it looks like you have a very high amp draw when you try the jacks. So either a control panel or some bad relays or motors. You can unplug each jack and apply 12 volts and see what happens.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A problem I've had where I tried to start and it Clicked then nothing lights (Dash) went out) Saw it on a Chevy Pick up last week too.

Now on the chevy I narrowed it down to one wire and 2 connections. with one highly suspect connection..

On the motor home I narrowed it down to that SPECIFIC connection

The positive battery terminal.

On my motor home Damon or Workhorse (not sure which) put standard ring terminals on the battery leads. NOT the lead terminal Chevy used (But the pick up proves it makes no difference) and the terminal needed cleaning.. Testing narrowed it downm, Cleaned it up and Varoomn.

Don't know how the pick up did. Suggested they try cleaning before hiking to the auto parts store across the parking lot but.. i was outta there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Ok tested the alternator today. Battery with engine off at 13.23 volts. With engine running 14.34 volts. No noticeable difference when I added a load. Looks like the alternator is working fine. So at least I know I shouldn’t have a problem getting down south to get the jacks checked.

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
I did check the battery when This happened it was at 13. Something. I will check it and the alternator tomorrow morning. The battery is maintenance free and it’s the starting battery and the reason it’s new is when I had been parked for a few weeks I had run the slides and jacks quite a few times without starting the engine. One day I smelled the rotten egg smell. I checked the battery’s and the chassis battery was really hot. It took hours to cool down after I pulled it out so I bought a new one and have been starting the engine from then on whenever running the jacks or slides. The mystery to me is it was working just fine then it wasn’t. I had an alternator go out on my truck once. First electronic stuff started shutting down and eventually the engine died. I haven’t had that issue with this. But I will test it. It’s just like going to the doctor, I’m the only one who ever has the problem.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks take a lot of battery.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
check the cell voltage.
Check the alternator voltage at alternator with engine running
Check the battery voltage with/without engine running at battery.

Post back numbers.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the load to the jacks is insufficient to be powered by the alternator at idle. You are probably right that the engine must be running, and maybe more than idle in order to take the shock of sudden load. It might also be a problem with the battery in that the battery should have been able to operate the jacks even without the engine/alternator.

Even after that, if the jacks are binding and presenting a much larger load than normal, then the current required is much too much.

Any chance that the jacks have been bent by contacting the ground?

First I would start the engine, then disconnect the battery. If the engine dies, then your alternator has failed. Assuming you have a standard lead-acid battery and you can check the electrolyte, replenish with DISTILLED WATER only. I find I have to check mine quite regularly and top them off. If your problem has been there for a while, and especially if the electrolyte is low, your battery may be damaged and in need of replacement. How many batteries do you have? Are your jacks powered by the chassis battery or the house battery?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.