cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing antenna ??

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone just removed their antenna? These things have always had the potential to leak. I now have a small leak coming down on the crank inside. Do we even need these things anymore? I ask because I am not up on all this new stuff and am thinking of just removing the whole thing and patching the hole. Do they have new gadgets out where you don't need the old crank ups anymore? I'm not talking satellites,something else. TV is not very important to us, but would like to catch the news or a program or two. What can we do to get some reception without the crank up? Behind times.
rich
12 REPLIES 12

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2019 rig has the Jack antenna and it is nowhere near as effective as the old style Winegard Batwing antenna. I would do what is necessary to reseal, fix the existing antenna. Or, replace it with a new Batwing.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
Reisender wrote:
If you get rid of it you will lose all over the air digital channels. In bigger centres that can be 100’s of channels.

The plug in interior antennas will get those for $20.

It’ll get you a few. But no where near as many as something like a batwing.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
If you get rid of it you will lose all over the air digital channels. In bigger centres that can be 100’s of channels.

The plug in interior antennas will get those for $20.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I threw mine away when I re-sealed the roof. I removed it, screwed down a tin patch, covered with eternabond and recoated the roof with Henry's Trop i Cool.
This is also what I did with the roof top luggage rack years back. I use one of the indoor antenas you can buy at a discount store which works well with local channels. I also am not concerned with getting good TV reception!
Brian

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Lubricate it and probably wil stop the leak. If not, replace the O-ring.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never lubed my Winegard in the 16 years I owned my prior TT.. Didn't even know it had an O ring? Never leaked a drop and I used it a lot and it got rained on a lot..

The new TT has one of those 'new' style of antenna where it's just the little round thing, but it turns. Guess I'll dig out the manual for it and see what it says!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Rich&Mar wrote:
Has anyone just removed their antenna? These things have always had the potential to leak. I now have a small leak coming down on the crank inside. Do we even need these things anymore? I ask because I am not up on all this new stuff and am thinking of just removing the whole thing and patching the hole. Do they have new gadgets out where you don't need the old crank ups anymore? I'm not talking satellites,something else. TV is not very important to us, but would like to catch the news or a program or two. What can we do to get some reception without the crank up? Behind times.

The times have not changed, you need an antenna to receive TV over the air, just like you did in 1950.

Winegard antennas need maintenance as stated above, but don't expect lube to fix a leak from a neglected seal. Get new seals, check or replace the cable boot, lube as per owners manual and check caulking.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a number of local TV stations are available to watch online but you need a good internet connection. 5G may solve this. We’ll see in a few years.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard says to lube it twice a year so the seal doesn't dry out. I would think that would be easier then taking it off and covering the hole.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An indoor antenna in some situations may give similar performance when compared to an outdoor antenna but it won’t always do so. Height eliminates obstructions including those in the RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You likely need to lubricate the o-ring on the shaft above handle to stop leak. Yes, you could remove and fill/cover hole with eternabond or similar. You could fasten a jack antenna on a pole to your ladder, and connect lead to cable in hookup.

Jerry