cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground near Pittsburgh zoo

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a trip to the Pittsburgh zoo this summer.looking for suggestions on a campground,within a hour drive to the zoo.
Thanks
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion
9 REPLIES 9

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Tomlinson Run State Park
New Manchester, WV is about a hr drive from Pittsburgh.

Large wooded sites with electric. dump & water fill station. been a long time since we were there but they had a larger pool with concessions. Remember it was very family friendly.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions I will check them out
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
I would second Fox Den Acres
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Top Campground

20 minutes northeast of the zoo.

I live in the area.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
hondapro wrote:
We are considering a trip to the Pittsburgh zoo this summer.looking for suggestions on a campground,within a hour drive to the zoo.
Thanks

You have Indian Brave up in Harmony...not bad ride into town...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, not a lot of campgrounds in Pittsburgh metro area. There is Fox Den Acres near New Stanton where I-70 and PA Turnpike (I-76) converge. Easy in and out of campground ( about a mile to the turnpike), approx. 34 miles, about a 45 minute trip.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Raccoon Creek State Park Campgrounds. Pittsburgh is a tough area to find a decent campground.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
There is a KOA campground in Washington PA. This would be about a 40 minute drive to the Zoo. You will be south of Pittsburgh right where I79 and I 70 merge.

It is an okay campground but it has steep hills that you must navigate. I have not stayed here as it is less than 5 minutes from my house. I have purchased some propane and other items here.

Washington KOA

Depending on what you are interested in there are many things in the Washington area to see and do. If you decide to stay here let me know and I will provide any information I can on the area.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've overnighted at the Crooked Creek Lake recreation area campground, and it's nice enough (typical of a public campground--limited ammenitites and hookups). It looks like it's probably a few minutes over an hour's drive to the zoo.

There is not an overabundance of campgrounds in the immediate Pittsburg vicinity.