Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The TFL guys bought a 7.3L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The TFL guys bought a 7.3L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

The 7.3L gas option is $1705, and the 6.7L diesel option is $10,495.

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Yes, but 100k miles and 5 years later, the trade in value plus the fuel mileage will pay for most(if not all) the $10,495 so you are essentially adding power for free. That will not be the case with the 7.3L over the 6.2L unless it has much better fuel economy. You only typically get around 70-80% of your money back from optional items such as engines, 4wd, and trim packages on trade in/resale. If the 7.3L uses more fuel, then that cost increases overtime.

There is also the case of maintenance if it is like the 5.7L and 6.4L in the Ram. Because of the special oil required due to the 6.4L having MDS, it makes maintenance cost a lot more than the 5.7L and more inline with what is cost with the Cummins for both fuel/oil filter changes.

However, my comment was based on the reasoning used by gaser owners who say they do not "need" more power. If this were true, then they would not "need" a 7.3L.

I'd like more power but I don't need 400HP and 1000TQ @ $10,495.

So you are saying that you don't need 400hp(even though it is 475 hp), but you like the 430 hp that the 7.3L makes? That does not make sense.

Also, I would bet you that uf you actually did the math with resale/trad in, the difference between the two is less than $2k over the course of 5 years and 100k miles. In fact, you are likely to spend more on the 6.2L to the 7.3L upgrade than you would with the 7.3L to 6.7L upgrade when all things are considered.

You opinions only work for those that are doing what you think they should do.
I'm done buying truck so resale is meaningless.
And you know as well as I do that HP in a gasser is not the same as in a diesel. Gas engines don't have the same huge TQ numbers to go with the HP as diesels do.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After having towed with my 02 V-10 Excursion and 9300lb TT in the mountains I ca tell you I have never wished I had a diesel. Plenty of power to tow at speed up a decent grade that had other vehicles at 40-45 with the 4 ways on. I’ll take simplicity over complexity any day. I just feel that making it to my destination is much better than stranded on the side of the road because I ran out of Def or I picked up a droplet of water and trashed a $10k fuel system.

Gas is the only way to go for me......and yes I’m a certified diesel tech!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Not sure why anyone cares about the 7.3L. According to the HD gas owners here, they don't need more power which is why they bought the gas engine instead of the diesel. So why would an engine with more power that you will have to pay more for matter now?

Same reason diesel owners have theirs programmed and put exhausts on them. Because they make it.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

And you know as well as I do that HP in a gasser is not the same as in a diesel. Gas engines don't have the same huge TQ numbers to go with the HP as diesels do.

I don't think people should do anything. There are many valid reasons for not buying a diesel just as there are many that aren't valid or factual when you put pen to paper.

I just find it ironic that HD gas truck owners have stated many times that they don't need anymore power as a reason for not paying for the diesel engine upgrade yet some of the very same people are willing to pay for a gas engine upgrade because it has more power without even considering or mentioning the additional cost versus the base engine. Why does cost and not needing the extra power only get brought up as a justification for not paying for the HD diesel upgrade, but not when that upgrade is another gas engine? I just find it little hypocritical is all.

* This post was edited 01/02/20 12:18pm by ShinerBock *

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mooky stinks wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Not sure why anyone cares about the 7.3L. According to the HD gas owners here, they don't need more power which is why they bought the gas engine instead of the diesel. So why would an engine with more power that you will have to pay more for matter now?

Same reason diesel owners have theirs programmed and put exhausts on them. Because they make it.

But HD diesel owners buy their engine for the added power and don't say that they don't need it as a justification.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who are these gas owners and why are you lumping them all together, other than to start an argument?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

I don't think people should do anything. There are many valid reasons for not buying a diesel just as there are many that aren't valid or factual when you put pen to paper.

I just find it ironic that HD gas truck owners have stated many times that they don't need anymore power as a reason for not paying for the diesel engine upgrade yet some of the very same people are willing to pay for a gas engine upgrade because it has more power without even considering or mentioning the additional cost versus the base engine. Why does cost and not needing the extra power only get brought up as a justification for not paying for the HD diesel upgrade, but not when that upgrade is another gas engine? I just find it little hypocritical is all.

How about I put it this way. I tow a 9500# TT. For my lifestyle I don't need a diesel anymore. My truck sits for weeks at a time. I would like about 50 more HP and 75 lbs more of TQ. That would be about perfect for my camping style. What I don't need to do is spend $10,495 for a diesel that's overkill for my situation.
I think you're missing the point of gas owners. Maybe I'm wrong but my guess is that most just want a decent amount of an HP/TQ increase and don't need the massive power output of a diesel at the cost of the option when it's not something thats being used enough to validate.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is in “absolutism” of comment/thought...there is no ‘one size fits all’...not even tube socks....

Most everyone has their own attributes that they purchase/own anything. Automotive much more personal to some and others...just a thing to own/use/etc and then toss it for whatever suits them at that time

IMHO...love GM small block’s , but not for my full sized trucks; love small displacement ICE’s for my cars and especially my 2 seaters; love big blocks for my full sized trucks: been around diesels most of my life, but never wanted one...expect for a couple years with buddies constantly touting Cummins diesel...looked at Ford’s 7.3L diesel, but my big block 7.4L gasser suited me better than and continues to this day

Nor does resale come into my decision to own anything, as keep my stuff very, very long. Folks call me cheap, and am okay with that, and get my moneys worth out of most things. Buy well and keep it a long time so as to not have to purchase another....brother has owned about 3 times more vehicles than his older brother, me, over the years...but he is always talking about his monthly. Whereas I’ve not had a vehicle payment for decades

That is ‘me’ and don’t pressure or even try to dissuade others, as it is going to be ‘theirs’, not mine

Common everyday drivers have finally ‘got it’ in regards to close-ration gear boxes...these higher number of gearbox gears is just that. Old days of racing’s close-ratio gear boxes was just to keep their ICE’s in their sweet RPM range...am noodling the rebuild of my 4L80E into one rated for 1,500HP/3yr warranty with 8 gears...by an 0.5 or 0.7 GearVendors/gear splitter (rated for 1,200HP) and 5.38 diff ratio. Issue is that, that ratio isn’t available for the front diff...that I can find so far.

With the very flat torque curve, don’t need much more in numbers of gears. HIgh rev’ing and peaky ICEs does benefit from more gear ratios...though some of today’s small blocks does have flatter torque curves.

Nephew has a 2010 RAM 2500HD Turbo Cummins. Neighbor has the same, but a few years older. Another neighbor has a Ford 350HD SuperDuty V10. Driven all of them and there is NOTHING with them that I’d change my 7.4L for, but that is just me...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 6.2 and it tows my 10,000 GVWR 5th wheel just fine. In a normal year I'll put less than 2,000 miles on it so I couldn't justify buying a diesel just for the fuel mileage. I haven't been through the Rocky Mountains with it but I've been up some pretty steep hills. It will sometimes but not often drop down to 3rd gear on some of the big hills but I never lose speed. There's seems to be a big gap between 3rd and 4th gear so I think the 6.2 with a 10 speed would be fantastic for my use.

I'm pretty excited about the 7.3 but I might not ever own one. I'd like to have one but since I have a good truck there's no need to. If I did buy another truck down the road it probably would be a used 7.3 gas if it does get better fuel mileage than the 6.2. It would pull anything I would ever want to pull with ease and no more miles than I'd put on it buying a diesel wouldn't make sense. If I were going to put big miles on one then it would make more sense to buy the diesel.

ib516

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

I had many more reasons than power to choose gas over diesel when I did in 2014 when the 6.4L Hemi was introduced. Initial purchase price, better reliability (no DEF/DPF), less complexity, better winter heat dueing my short commute, and cheaper fuel were among them. If I bought new today, I'd buy another gasser. I was completely satisfied with the performance of the 6.4L Hemi pulling 11.5 to 12k. The 8 speed auto would make that an even better experience.

That said, I don't pull a trailer every day either. If I did, or if I was a full timer, I would choose diesel as they do get better loaded mpg, and the extra torque makes for a better tow vehicle. The purchase price premium and higher fuel cost would be less important as the towing performance and loaded mpg became more important due to the % of time the truck would be towing a trailer.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The TFL guys bought a 7.3L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.