Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The TFL guys bought a 7.3L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The TFL guys bought a 7.3L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

ib516, the early Hemis were solid and reliable. The issues arose when they went to the variable cam system around 2009 which is the Hemis in question.

I think the issues are more about the cylinder deactivation process more than the cam phaser.

Yes and GM has had similar issues. From what I have read they are sensitive to oil change intervals and quality. If you stay on top of your oil changes they don't seem to have the issues.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

ib516, the early Hemis were solid and reliable. The issues arose when they went to the variable cam system around 2009 which is the Hemis in question.

I think the issues are more about the cylinder deactivation process more than the cam phaser.

Yes and GM has had similar issues. From what I have read they are sensitive to oil change intervals and quality. If you stay on top of your oil changes they don't seem to have the issues.

Agreed... That advice was already given to a thin skinned member here.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 Star reported at FTE today that they could have run the 7.3 truck in 7th gear and made for power but the truck would have hit the speed limiter have way through the WOT run.

They also reported some good towing performance towing 9,500-10,000. They were impressed with the low torque performance and the 10 speed transmission.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

5 Star reported at FTE today that they could have run the 7.3 truck in 7th gear and made for power but the truck would have hit the speed limiter have way through the WOT run.

They also reported some good towing performance towing 9,500-10,000. They were impressed with the low torque performance and the 10 speed transmission.

I didn't see that but that is weird. 7th is 1:1 in the ten speed. I would think that is the gear they would have used.

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/20 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

FWIW a good friend of mine that is a GM tech told me it's imperative to change my Silverado 5.3 by the time the OLM reaches 30% to avoid any problems.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

The 7.3L gas option is $1705, and the 6.7L diesel option is $10,495.

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

x2 and the fact that right now diesel at one station near us is .60 more than gas.
$2.69 vs $3.29.

Gas / diesel price differential depends where you live. Here in S AZ, diesel is currently 17 cents LESS than gas, and a week ago when I filled up, was 24 cents less. Sometimes gas is less than diesel here, but in the last couple years, I find diesel to be less than gas most of the time.

the1adman

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crcr wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

x2 and the fact that right now diesel at one station near us is .60 more than gas.
$2.69 vs $3.29.

Gas / diesel price differential depends where you live. Here in S AZ, diesel is currently 17 cents LESS than gas, and a week ago when I filled up, was 24 cents less. Sometimes gas is less than diesel here, but in the last couple years, I find diesel to be less than gas most of the time.

crcr where in AZ are you? I’m in Tucson and diesel is 50 cents more than regular gas at most every station.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the1adman wrote:

crcr wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

$2.69 vs $3.29.

crcr where in AZ are you? I’m in Tucson and diesel is 50 cents more than regular gas at most every station.

Phoenix.

That's interesting that the differential is reversed from Phoenix to Tucson. I wonder why that is?? I wouldn't have a clue. But as I said, I find that often the last couple of years, diesel has been less than gasoline here. I paid $2.549 for diesel on 12/31. Gas was about a quarter more. This is at Costco (one Costco here has diesel, and so does a Sam's Club near us, so we always fill up at Costco or Sam's).

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crcr wrote:

Phoenix.

That's interesting that the differential is reversed from Phoenix to Tucson. I wonder why that is?? I wouldn't have a clue. But as I said, I find that often the last couple of years, diesel has been less than gasoline here. I paid $2.549 for diesel on 12/31. Gas was about a quarter more. This is at Costco (one Costco here has diesel, and so does a Sam's Club near us, so we always fill up at Costco or Sam's).

The difference in diesel fuel prices between the two cities is probably because Phoenix has a diesel storage facility, but Tucson does not so they are paying the additional costs for it to be transported. There are less diesel storage facilities than gasoline so regional price differences may vary wildly depending on how far you are from the closest diesel storage facility. There may be a gasoline storage facilities in an area, but the diesel facility is in the next city over because it does not have enough demand to have one.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of added cost. I think all states in the US should restructure their fuel tax system. The reason why diesel is taxed higher than gasoline is because it is mainly used on medium and heavy duty commercial truck applications where there are hardly any gas engines used. This is not the case anymore because there are more and more gas engines being used in medium duty commercial truck applications.

In my opinion, they should dye the diesel and gasoline fuel similar to how they do with non-tax diesel. Anyone using both gas or diesel for commercial use should pay the higher tax rate. They can dye this fuel a certain color similar to how the dye non-tax farm fuel red. Anyone not using gasoline or diesel for commercial purposes should not have any color and pay the same lower tax.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The TFL guys bought a 7.3L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.