Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The TFL guys bought a 7.3L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The TFL guys bought a 7.3L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy one right now you're sure to pay a premium. Depending on the demand it might take a while for them to back off of the prices.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until inventory is full and all '19 on the lot are sold I doubt your going to see big discounts on the '20 model trucks.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure why anyone cares about the 7.3L. According to the HD gas owners here, they don't need more power which is why they bought the gas engine instead of the diesel. So why would an engine with more power that you will have to pay more for matter now?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Not sure why anyone cares about the 7.3L. According to the HD gas owners here, they don't need more power which is why they bought the gas engine instead of the diesel. So why would an engine with more power that you will have to pay more for matter now?

I would not pay much of a premium for the 7.3 vrs the 6.2, that has been a great engine for many years. If the 7.3 adds a little HP/TQ, with similar mileage and reliability, it will mostly be a marketing tool (mine's bigger than yours). Moving forward, with new engines, body styles, does improve sales. Just seems the old numbers get stagnant (6.2 6.0 5.7).

Jerry

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Funny but not exactly true. Reasons are pretty simple, gas overall is easier to own and work on verse complexity of Diesel engines and emissions. Just my take in having owned both.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 7.3L gas option is $1705, and the 6.7L diesel option is $10,495.

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Yes, but 100k miles and 5 years later, the trade in value plus the fuel mileage will pay for most(if not all) the $10,495 so you are essentially adding power for free. That will not be the case with the 7.3L over the 6.2L unless it has much better fuel economy. You only typically get around 70-80% of your money back from optional items such as engines, 4wd, and trim packages on trade in/resale. If the 7.3L uses more fuel, then that cost increases overtime.

There is also the case of maintenance if it is like the 5.7L and 6.4L in the Ram. Because of the special oil required due to the 6.4L having MDS, it makes maintenance cost a lot more than the 5.7L and more inline with what is cost with the Cummins for both fuel/oil filter changes.

However, my comment was based on the reasoning used by gaser owners who say they do not "need" more power. If this were true, then they would not "need" a 7.3L.

* This post was edited 01/02/20 08:27am by ShinerBock *

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless that engine turns out to be a complete turd, which we should know within just a few model years, I’d still be willing to give it a try. I can’t imagine being more disappointed with an engine than I was with the 6.4L diesel in my 2010 F450. I did get a good trade-in value on it though, despite its bad rep. Still, having enough power for my use, and reliability when we’re far from available help are the top items on my list for a truck. What kind of trade in I get, or what I may get in a private sale is on the list, but it’s below those.

I hope the 7.3L is a success.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Wasn't the 7.3 designed with the newer 10 speed transmission? I have not read yet, but will the 6.2 have the 10 speed or the same 6 speed transmission?

I know I would definitely option up if the 6.2 was only a 6 speed.

2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

That gets my attention.

[emoticon][emoticon]

x2 and the fact that right now diesel at one station near us is .60 more than gas.
$2.69 vs $3.29.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The TFL guys bought a 7.3L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.