cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight of MH

Mebesue
Explorer
Explorer
i am looking for an owners manual for a 1979 sportsman dodge chassis motorhome,,, I think it’s either 21 or 22 feet,, it is being gifted to me, so I can get out of a horrible living situation I’m in,,, but it needs tires, a friend of mine said he can go get it (2and a half hours from me) and bring it on his trailer,,, but his trailer has a 10,000 lbs capacity limit,, so I’m trying to find out the weight and I can’t find it anywhere online,, plus I’ll need the manual,, so I can figure out how to use stuff on it,,,
I’m so nervous and a bit scared to just take off and don’t know where I’m going,, but I have too,,, another set back,, I guess they r R16.5 tires and I’ve been told they r hard to find bc of safety,, (that’s why I’m having it towed, it runs tags have been paid for me, it even passed smog, 1st time) but smaller tires and rims run about 1,190, eeekkk, so hes towing it here to see if I can find same size, little by little, ty susan scholtes
17 REPLIES 17

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 24 foot 1984 Lindy on Chevy chassis full of water and loaded up for a trip was just about exactly 10k. Probably had 1k pounds of water and stuff.

My 2019 23 foot Thor is about 11,600 full of water and loaded for a trip including 3 people.

My guess is you will be under 10k with that rig, and probably under 9k if its empty.

You can still get 16.5 tires they are just a little harder to find because there a little less common. Firestone Transforce comes to mind as a reputable brand-name tire that still comes in 16.5 that is available from most any tire shop (if even by special order.) Price is not much more than equivalent 16".
Patrick

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at the 1979 Lindy, Winnebagos, and Cruisemaste on the Dodge chassis, they all show the GVWR weight between 9,500 to 10,500 lbs. Minus about 1,500 lbs for all your stuff, it should weigh in around 8,500 lbs empty. This is just a guestimate. If you could find the specs plate on the RV, it would have that information on it.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
There will be a GVWR sticker-- likely on the pillar of the driver's door. With the camper conversion, assume it is near GVWR.
Not on a 1979.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There will be a GVWR sticker-- likely on the pillar of the driver's door. With the camper conversion, assume it is near GVWR.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet might be to sell it as is where it is and be done with it.
It doesn’t sound like it is the right thing for you.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Mebesue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone,, this is really bumming me out,, I gotta get this thing to dos palos ca,,from Vacaville ca,, long story short, it was given to me bc I’m in a very horrible situation and need out,,, not sounding very promising,, boy, it was gifted to me but out of my financial range to get it here or get tires on it,, oh well thanks everyone! Happy new year!

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
How about buying a set of used tires at a scrap yard. It would at least get it home cheaply. Im doubting it going to be able to go on your friends trailer. His trailer is probably a 10,000 lb trailer. You have to subtract the weight of the trailer off that. It can probably only carry about 8000 lbs. There is not much likelihood that a rv weighs less than 8000 lbs. I could be wrong. Knowing the exact model of rv would help.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Does the registration for the current plate have a weight on it?

Is it drivable (enough) to get it to CAT scale at a truck stop and get a good weight?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Both are over the limit.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Modern day 22 footers are 11,500 pounds.

My 2018 Winnebago 25' long on A Ford diesel Transit chassis gross max. Weight is 10,350. I'd think a shorter 40 year old RV would be less.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
1979 Dodge Sportsman RV Owners manual
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't trailer it can you disconnect the drive shaft and tow the MH?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Modern day 22 footers are 11,500 pounds.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE